ATF fluid found inside intake boot?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ATF fluid found inside intake boot?

I removed the boot that connects the MAF to the throttle body and found a substantial amount of red color oil (ATF). Now how the heck that ATF get in there?

K&N filter cleaning?
    Lifting my front wheels, one jack at a time.

Comment

Originally posted by 1988GTU View Post
      K&N filter cleaning?
      no K&N, it is stock filter housing and A/C delco air filter.

Comment

sure it is not dexcool?
        Lifting my front wheels, one jack at a time.

Comment

...... if it is ATF, the only way it would have gotten there is through the line going to the vacuum modulator(on a 4T60 or 60E, no connection on a 4T65). that is connected a bit after the throttle plate though.... how it would have moved that far against the flow of air, i can't visualize.

because of that, i don't think it's ATF. a previous K&N(or other oiled filter) installation, someone injecting marvel mystery oil into the intake path or oil that has gotten backed up through the fresh air side of the PCV system?

assuming it isn't a red/orange coolant, but even then, i don't know how it would get to that location.
          1995 Monte Carlo LS 3100, 4T60E...for now, future plans include driving it until the wheels fall off!
          Latest nAst1 files here!
          Need a wiring diagram for any GM car or truck from 82-06(and 07-08 cars)? PM me!

Comment

Originally posted by 1988GTU View Post
            sure it is not dexcool?
            I am using prestone limey green yellow coolant.
            Originally posted by robertisaar View Post
            ...... if it is ATF, the only way it would have gotten there is through the line going to the vacuum modulator(on a 4T60 or 60E, no connection on a 4T65). that is connected a bit after the throttle plate though.... how it would have moved that far against the flow of air, i can't visualize.

because of that, i don't think it's ATF. a previous K&N(or other oiled filter) installation, someone injecting marvel mystery oil into the intake path or oil that has gotten backed up through the fresh air side of the PCV system?

assuming it isn't a red/orange coolant, but even then, i don't know how it would get to that location.
            no previous K&N or oiled type filters on this car. I will take a white paper towel and seep up the oil to get a true color for you all. It does not look like motor oil and it is definitely red in color. where is that line through the modulator?
            Last edited by packardbell; 07-16-2014, 11:30 AM.

Comment

is this still for the 88 cutlass supreme?
              1995 Monte Carlo LS 3100, 4T60E...for now, future plans include driving it until the wheels fall off!
              Latest nAst1 files here!
              Need a wiring diagram for any GM car or truck from 82-06(and 07-08 cars)? PM me!

Comment

is this still for the 88 cutlass supreme?
                yes it is still for the 1988 cutlass supreme 2.8 MFPI.

Comment

best pic i can pull at the moment. behind the oil fill cap and next to the IAC is the vacuum line for the modulator.
                  Latest nAst1 files here!

Comment

If that nipple is the connection for the vac mod, then it's quite possible that the engine pulls some ATF through the line and then after the engine is shut off, it runs down past the throttle plate (it's not a perfect seal) into the air filter to throttle boot.

Comment

you know, i forgot much of an angle the 3.1 intake has for the TB neck... the airbox being all janky in that pic isn't helping either.
                      Latest nAst1 files here!

Comment

Originally posted by The_Raven View Post
                        If that nipple is the connection for the vac mod, then it's quite possible that the engine pulls some ATF through the line and then after the engine is shut off, it runs down past the throttle plate (it's not a perfect seal) into the air filter to throttle boot.
                        I have checked and yes there is ATF fluid being sucked up into the line. So that means that the vacuum modulator is faulty?
                        you know, i forgot much of an angle the 3.1 intake has for the TB neck... the airbox being all janky in that pic isn't helping either.
                        the airbox for the 2.8 is different, let me take a picture for you.

Comment

Originally posted by The_Raven View Post
                          here is a picture of my engine bay

here is the line from the modulator

anyone have a part number of this modulator from rockauto? thanks

Comment

Working...
                          X