P0171 Cutting off at high RPMs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• P0171 Cutting off at high RPMs

A little background on the car, its 3500 swapped, 5spd. Has 3.4 dohc 24# injectors, walbro 255 fuel pump, ECU is tuned for injectors and for 3500 engine. ECU was tuned by Jon (3x00-modified).

Getting DTC P0171, I delete the code and comes back up even while idling. Engine cuts off under heavy load/high rpm scenarios. Cuts off like it reaches rev limiter, after that rpms continue to climb if i stay WOT.

Doesn't happen all the time ( I'm not going WOT all the time) Under normal driving light/medium load car runs perfect.

There is times that car acts perfectly normal even at WOT. I have checked for vacuum leaks with carb cleaner, all seemed ok. Nothing seems out of place.

On cold starts engine does surge, and sounds like if it's cammed. (it is not)

I was able to get a log through my phone from a short run, car did act up, twice to be exact. I'm not sure if this would help indicate any problem.

Thanks to everyone.
    Attached Files

'94 Beretta Quad 4 Z26, 3500 swapped!
    '13 Charger 3.6 8spd

My car did it years ago from a loose cable on the starter from the alt. that the PO not tightened from a starter change. My battery was decent so I'm not sure why it did it, but once tightened it was fine.

Who knows what is causing it, but I can say checking your cables is cheap. Also, I know my battery light flickered when it would do it. I don't know if yours does, but mine did.
    -60v6's 2nd Jon M.
    91 Black Lumina Z34-5 speed
    92 Black Lumina Z34 5 speed (getting there, slowly... follow the progress here)
    94 Red Ford Ranger 2WD-5 speed
    Originally posted by Jay Leno
    Tires are cheap clutches...

Comment

P0171 - fuel trim system lean

GM says:
      vacuum leaks
      PCV
      TB/MAF
      IAC
      EGR
      PCM and sensor grounds
      unplug MAF
      fuel pressure
      EVAP/CCP
      injectors
      exhaust manifolds
      O2 sensor

more or less in that order to check/replace stuff. odd that it takes so long to get to the O2 sensor itself.
      1995 Monte Carlo LS 3100, 4T60E...for now, future plans include driving it until the wheels fall off!
      Latest nAst1 files here!
      Need a wiring diagram for any GM car or truck from 82-06(and 07-08 cars)? PM me!

Comment

might even have a cat issue.
        Lifting my front wheels, one jack at a time.

Comment

Originally posted by robertisaar View Post
          P0171 - fuel trim system lean

GM says:
          vacuum leaks
          PCV
          TB/MAF
          IAC
          EGR
          PCM and sensor grounds
          unplug MAF
          fuel pressure
          EVAP/CCP
          injectors
          exhaust manifolds
          O2 sensor

more or less in that order to check/replace stuff. odd that it takes so long to get to the O2 sensor itself.
          No vacuum leaks, has new pcv, maf was replaced, iac is new, egr is blocked off, fuel pressure is at 45psi, o2 sensor is new.

That would leave for me to check tb, pcm and grounds, evap system, injectors, and exhaust manifolds.

I have a gutted cat.

Thanks to everyone, will first send injectors to get tested and see what comes out.

'94 Beretta Quad 4 Z26, 3500 swapped!
          '13 Charger 3.6 8spd

Comment

Working...
          X