Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question : 1988 cutlass supreme start and stall when cold

Hello Guys and Gals,
    I have a 1988 olds cutlass supreme with a 2.8 MPFI. It has a few problems and I have replaced quite a few things on the car already.
    I have did the lower intake manifold gaskets, IACV, new alternator, new radiator, new thermostat, new water pump, new power steering pump, new tensioner, new belt, ignition control module, all three ignition coils, temp sender, new oil pressure switch, new modulator, mass air flow ......

Early in the morning especially when the temperatures are cold under 5 degrees, the car would crank, start for a second or two and then just die. I have to keep on doing this starting process for like a good 10 minutes before the car would start and keep running.

I have tried to press on the gas when cranking but still nothing useful. I tried when the car is running for that 1 to 2 seconds I stomp on the gas, the car would rev to 4-5K and would stall again. I feel that once the car gets started a few times, things become a bit warm then it will catch and continue to run without stalling.

I should have taken the ohm reading of the injectors when I just did the lower intake manifold. So looks like off comes the upper plenum and get them all out to check individually.

Does your car have a cold start injector or had they disappeared by 88?

You might try dumping about a bottle cap of gas into the intake and see if it starts right up. If it does you have a fuel delivery problem. Check the fuel pressure. If not you need to look at air or spark.

Comment

Originally posted by neophile_17 View Post
      Does your car have a cold start injector or had they disappeared by 88?

You might try dumping about a bottle cap of gas into the intake and see if it starts right up. If it does you have a fuel delivery problem. Check the fuel pressure. If not you need to look at air or spark.
      there is no cold start valve on my model.
      yes i did hook up a fuel pressure gauge and the pressure holds at 39 psi. It sparks on every start up but only for 1-2 seconds. If I stomp on the gas i can keep it running for a bit longer but the car would be reving 4-5K. After 10 minutes of start and stalling it will eventually catch and run without stalling. Thought it was the temp sender and had it replaced.

Comment

Did you replace the coolant temp. sender or air temp. sender?

Comment

Did you replace the coolant temp. sender or air temp. sender?
          coolant temperature sender, the one beside the thermostat housing. also the injectors are giving out of spec ohm readings so I replaced them this morning.
          didn't have time to go through the relearn process for the computer yet.

Comment

It might be worth ohming out the air temperature sensor in the intake tube if the fuel injectors don't solve your problem.

Have you checked your engine grounds? The ECM fires the injectors by switching the ground side which has separate wires to the block. If those connections are weak you will get odd behavior.

Comment

It might be worth ohming out the air temperature sensor in the intake tube if the fuel injectors don't solve your problem.

Have you checked your engine grounds? The ECM fires the injectors by switching the ground side which has separate wires to the block. If those connections are weak you will get odd behavior.
              i was looking at the intake tube but could not find an air temp sensor in there, i only found a hose that reroute fumes from the valve cover back to the intake.

where are the engine grounds located? I have added an extra ground from the battery to the chassis with a 4 gauge wire.

Comment

popped in 6 injectors and she keep running so far.
                but now i got a whole bunch of hissing (vacuum leaks) i need to plug up.
                runs kind of rough like one cylinder is not firing.

Comment

Hopefully it was just injectors then. Maybe the air temp sensor is in the filter box? Sounds like that's not you problem though.

Comment

Working...
                  X