A/C not working

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question : A/C not working

I have tested the compressor and it works when I jump the wires to make it start.
    Obviously the a/c clutch engages otherwise the pump will not turn.
    Check the R12 refrigerant is still there, no leaks.

What else do I need to verify and check?

Are you sure you have a full charge?
    95 Beretta 3100 with 3400 intakes and TCE TB
    High flow cat and a Magnaflow muffler
    Grand Prix trans with 3.33FDR

Comment

Originally posted by Purple pit View Post
      Are you sure you have a full charge?
      how much psi am I supposed to have on the low and high?

Comment

The outside temp will have a lot to do with this and it must be over 50F to test( it's better if it's warmer than that like 60F or more).
        Warm the engine then shut it off. 50psi is great 10psi is too low and it needs a charge, between 10-50 on both sides and it also needs a charge.

Check your connector to the clutch, it could be bad as you went by the book on testing.

I have an repair manual that covers the basics of the older R12 systems and can look anything up on those "basics". For me I have R134a in a converted system and just go by the gauge on those charge cans(little lazy and somewhat crazy when it comes to compressor oil which they have in them). Can say for a fact that the clutch will not engage if there is not enough charge in the system(without jumping). Dealt with that a few times on my car and on the GF's car. Her car is fixed and working great, mine still has a leak somewhere. So I can help, but I'm far from and expert.
        Last edited by Purple pit; 12-17-2015, 09:21 PM.

Comment

well we just entered winter and the ambient air temperatures are hovering around -0 degrees, so it looks like I will not be able to get over 50F. so when I attach the high and low side gauges I should be getting atleast 50psi on both sides.

Comment

Correct. Yeah I know it's going to be a long wait until the temps get high enough. Here we are getting temps in the 50F's off and on, but not regular enough to get anything done.

Hate waiting. Sucks not to have a fully working defrost!

Comment

Working...
            X