About Timing and Timing chain on 3100

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question : About Timing and Timing chain on 3100

Recently I bought a bluetooth OBD2 reader, and the Torque App. There are no trouble codes, but in the data feed while the car is running, it says the timing is running at 19.5 to 20 degrees btdc, which is far too much. Idle is a bit noisy, but overall running condition seems fine except for some hard starts when the engine is still warm, but very low on power and torque.

Could the timing chain have stretched, and jumped a tooth, and the computer is just compensating by advancing the timing?

Sorry, i'm a little new to OHV, and OBD2 cars. I am used to working on pre OBD2 mazda four banger engines.

I know the timing chain probably needs changed anyway on this engine, since I am sure it is still the factory one, but I am just trying to figure out if this timing issue is causing the low amount of power and torque, or if the engine is just worn out.
    Engine has an unknown amount of miles on it.
    Last edited by TorqueEffect; 01-21-2016, 06:45 PM.

Why are you saying that the timing being at around 20* is too much? And under what conditions is it at this amount of timing?

Comment

Originally posted by The_Raven View Post
      Why are you saying that the timing being at around 20* is too much? And under what conditions is it at this amount of timing?
      at idle and up to temperature

isn't it supposed to be closer to 10 degrees at idle?

Comment

Originally posted by TorqueEffect View Post
        at idle and up to temperature

isn't it supposed to be closer to 10 degrees at idle?
        10 degrees is base timing, not running timing. The timing is fine.

Comment

Originally posted by The_Raven View Post
          10 degrees is base timing, not running timing. The timing is fine.
          ahh, ok.

I didn't know there was a difference. Learn something new everyday.

Thanks!

Timing chain probably still needs to be changed sometime anyway.

Comment

Maybe, but many of these engines have gone a few hundred thousand without the need to replace the timing chain.

Comment

Working...
            X