No announcement yet.

3100 LIM/Head Gasket/Block...?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question : 3100 LIM/Head Gasket/Block...?

My daughter asked me if I'd do a brake job on a friend's '98 Malibu (poor College Kid story). It was metal-on-metal and the tires are dry-rotted, so they had it towed (called in a favor from another friend with AAA tows available).

I put air in the tires, jumped it (battery totally flat) and got it in the garage and up on stands. Noticed the low coolant lamp was on.

Car has 156K, some body rust but overall mechanically seems clean. The overflow tank was empty; I filled it and ran until hot, then kept filling until it stabilized. I probably put 1.5gal into the cooling system.

Figured an oil change would be prudent too, so about a half-hour later I drained the oil...and that 1.5gal came out alongside.

Observations:
    1. There is no visible leaking externally, nor any signs of past leaks
    2. The engine seems to run fine, suggesting to me that whatever the ultimate problem, minimal damage to bearings, etc. has occurred at this point
    3. There's no sign of previous repair, except the PS pump appears to have had a fitting broken off and replaced with a length of rubber hose and pipe clamps. It's a hack job but it seems to be working (no leaks, steering works properly).
    4. No codes set beyond brake-related and low coolant mfg 'B' DTCs.

Diagnostic suggestions?

I know these have the intake gasket issue, but the engine only ran for about ten minutes and it seems to have dumped the entire cooling system into the pan. I did look at the dipstick before I added coolant and saw no indication of contamination, i.e. just looked like old oil, no milk or vomit. OTOH, I wasn't looking for it at that time, either - was really just validating that it had oil.

My gut says that much loss that quickly is probably something more serious. I'm gonna go ahead and pull the intakes, but if they're not obviously shot I'm not sure where to go next other than to say "Sorry, kid".

Are blown head gaskets/block cracks common/rare/unheard-of in these?

Thanks for any advice!
    Last edited by Admiral Ballsy; 05-22-2016, 11:44 AM.

A cooling system pressure tester makes this much easier to diag for a head gasket or an intake gasket leak. Head gaskets happen from overheating on these engines, though I do not know the degree of time/temp it takes to warp them enough. Intakes are far more common.
    Ben
    60DegreeV6.com
    WOT-Tech.com

Comment

Thanks! That won't pinpoint a problem, though, right? All I'll know is what I know now - that there's a cooling system compromise somewhere?

The more I think about it, the LIM makes sense - coolant dumping into the lifter valley. I reckon I'll know more when I pull it off.

Comment

Its easier to poke around and listen for the leak with the engine not running. A small bore scope to view in the spark plugs as well. If you have a compression tester or a leak down tester, both of those might show, if the leak is bad enough. My experience with head gaskets is the system is pressurized by the combustion and blows the coolant out the overflow. If it goes in the oil, its all but certainly the intake gaskets.
        Ben
        60DegreeV6.com
        WOT-Tech.com

Comment

Originally posted by SappySE107 View Post
          If it goes in the oil, its all but certainly the intake gaskets.
          Much obliged!

Comment

Have a close look at the coolant ports on the heads, I have seen them rot out lots past where the gasket seals, usally when the coolant has never been changed!
            1999 Olds Alero 2.4 to 3500 swap (running). totaled by a honda
            1992 lumina 4 door 3500 3spd auto 15.020 @93.5 mph
            1984 Cavalier type 10 hatch 3100 5spd!!!
            14.96@91.47 in the 1/4
            9.63@74.36 in the 1/8th
            14.30 on slicks! scrapped due to rust!

Comment

Finally got the intake off yesterday; LIM gaskets definitely shot, and indications the job had been done before (although with same-as-original materials), as some of the LIM bolts were only finger-tight.

Thanks, folks!

Comment

Part of the update to the gasket set is the thread locker on the bolt threads. They are known to back out slowly from engine vibration.
                Ben
                60DegreeV6.com
                WOT-Tech.com

Comment

Watch out for the Fel Pro lower intake replacement bolts. Read that the short ones are way too short. The long ones have a thread locker already on them. Should be able to check the set I just bought this weekend. The reviews could have been old and Fel Pro could have changed the length.
                  95 Beretta 3100 with 3400 intakes and TCE TB
                  High flow cat and a Magnaflow muffler
                  Grand Prix trans with 3.33FDR

Comment

Originally posted by Purple pit View Post
                    Watch out for the Fel Pro lower intake replacement bolts. Read that the short ones are way too short. The long ones have a thread locker already on them. Should be able to check the set I just bought this weekend. The reviews could have been old and Fel Pro could have changed the length.
                    I bought the FP set from Amazon after reading a bunch of sequential, recent reviews indicating that they worked. And they did; they're the right length.

LIM is back on, will finish up today and run 'cleanout' oil through it.

Comment

That makes me feel better!
                      95 Beretta 3100 with 3400 intakes and TCE TB
                      High flow cat and a Magnaflow muffler
                      Grand Prix trans with 3.33FDR

Comment

Working...
                      X