Massive amounts of ping/knock in lg8

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Massive amounts of ping/knock in lg8

hey guys! i have a 2003 buick century with a lg8. Its nearly stock with the only things done are
    3400 tb
    cone filter
    added fuel past 3k
    fans on @212F instead of the 243F the stock ecu had
    so the problem im having and have always had is that this bad boy has so much ping its crazy. i can hear it when getting on the freeway (ive boosted a bunch of cars this is the first time ive ever heard ping first hand) and when monitoring/ datalogging it reads the knock retard up to 12 degrees! knock even higher! and it doesnt matter the load because in light load it pulls 6 kr. ive sinced switched to 91 octane and have noticed that i dont get above 8 kr.
    plugs are brand new so i assumed the cylinders were a little hot and decided to command 13.5 afr when above 3k rpm and 40% throttle. This drastically changed everything from it feeling like a freight train to bringing kr back down to 5 or 6 under heavy load and 1 to 2 kr under light. Im at a loss of what could bring all this ping. coolant runs around 194F tranny around 145F so its not super hot. any help? lol

also if im getting on the highway start accelerating and keep the same load on it the longer it goes the more the ping goes down ie start at 35 half throttle it ping starts @4 or 5 will taper down to 2 kr by the time i hit 60.

Comment

Anything? Maybe I posted in the wrong type of section?

Comment

it's the ethanol in the fuel. it doesn't burn as clean as they tell us in engines when combined with gasoline.
        consider that ping and knock are from preignition, so have you tried to decarbon the induction tract? The Gumout stuff applied like seafoam (the bottle/can even looks the same) works quite well for me
        In North America, Premium (not Super Premium) fuel is usually ethanol-free. What would be ideal is 87 octane with no corn liquor in it...YouTube has people in the UK doing it gallon by gallon for their small engines (mowers, etc) because they just started using boozy gas there to meet "climate requirements"
        if you end up pursung that road (use warm water ), remember you can use the ethanol you collect in your washer fluid reservoir. in 18 Gallons, 10% ethanol is 1.8 gallons for keeping your windshield clean. (Hey, it's paid for. don't dump it!)
        Last edited by heysoundude; 11-16-2021, 03:30 PM. Reason: added a potential timesaver hack suggestion

Comment

Working...
        X