Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear cam plug on 3100

I am overhauling a 3100 M. New pistons and bearings are all in and speced
    I thought I had engine ready to go until I attempted to get the cam in. It sticks out the front about .125" so I have a problem. The rear plug is in with the cup toward the engine like a normal freeze plug would be, I can see a circle on the cap where the rear of the cam is hitting.
    I do not see this working because if I push it back to make the additional clearance needed it will fall out. I do not recall if it was in cup-in or cup- out, appears to me it should be installed cup out.
    Anyone got the rear of a block in view or remember how the plug goes, or is it supposed to be a very thin plug. Appears the machine shop used a normal freeze plug.

Also does anyone know if there is a FELPRO gasket set that includes the O-rings for the oil level sensor and other sensors. Or better yet, a list of what is included in the felpro gasket sets. I realize there is a label on the package, but no one around here stocks the gasket set, all special order. I already checked GM they only sell individual gaskets and some of the sensors are only sold as a unit which includes the sensor anf the O-ring. DUMB!

This engine overhaul is becomming EXPENSIVE!

Is there 3 bolt holes around this opening where the freeze plug is? If so you need the correct cover. If it is indeed suposed to be the press in plug you need the GM plug.
    1993 EXT. CAB, 3.4L V6 TBI, 5spd manual. Sonoma
    1990 4Door, 3.2L V6 TBI, 5spd manual. 4X4. Trooper
    Because... I am, CANADIAN

Comment

On the later 3100 there is no bolt on cover, it had a freeze type plug when it went into the machine shop. I will check the GM parts place on nxt working day about special plug issue.

Comment

GM part number 10241154 will get a plug-cams. I paid $4.19 including tax, more than a complete freeze plug set from the aftermarket.
        It is obvious that this is not a standard freeze plug the center has a depression for cam clearance.

Comment

Forgive me for the serious thread necromancy here, but I just wanted add this to the thread in case anybody comes in searching on the part number. My dealer didn't have any of these cam plugs in stock, and only one dealership in my area did, but it was an hour away. After coming up empty handed on rockauto.com and all the local auto parts stores, I wound up ordering one from Scoggin-Dickey in Lubbock, TX (Chevy gearheads should recognize the name). It was only $2.11 - shipping was an addtional $5.75.

I'm beginning to think the moral of my story is to let a machine shop replace the cam bearings for you.
          1997 Pontiac Grand Am SE (3400 swap in progress)
          1991 Isuzu 4WD pickup, 3.1L

Comment

I know this is an old thread, but there is a Dorman plug for this, I don't know the number because I have the flywheel on and the engine attached to the transmission but it fits perfect, doesn't hit the cam and does not leak as my engine is running. I had the same problem finding a factory plug until I found this one. Larry

Comment

The GM dealer carries them for $3 ea.

Sent from my iPhone in some random spot of Texas.
              sigpic
              1994 Oldsmobile Cultass Supreme SL
              3400/Getrag 284 5spd
              1995 Chevy K1500 350c.i. 5spd Z71
              350/NV3500 5spd
              2014 Chevrolet Malibu LS

Comment

Working...
              X