2800? Bogus Hybrid?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2800? Bogus Hybrid?

I have access to a free 2000 3100 with rod knock. I also have a 2.8L from a berretta with a good bottom end. I've been thinking about it and I was thinking it would be a cool little project for my fiero.

I plan on rebuilding the 3100 with the shorter stroke ,a cam regrind similar to the h260 and a nice turbo setup. This would allow it to rev higher and make some good top-end power to suit the Fiero. I'd also run the thinner head gaskets to bump the c/r up a little.

The Fiero 2.8 is getting turbocharged soon. So this isnt anything I'll be doing right now. Just some thoughts since I have most of the parts just laying around.

What do you guys think?

-Joseph

1987 Fiero SE/Fastback - 3500 Turbo / OBD1 / '92 FWD Getrag 282

Doooo EEEeeeeeet!

Comment

i've thought about a similar project. it would cool to see this done.
      If you aren't friends with a liar, you aren't friends with anyone.

Comment

it'll be easiest with the 3100 and should net some very nice results. I'd personally do it with a 3400 or 3500 though... but the cost of custom pistons and rods would suck ass.
        Past Builds;
        1991 Z24, 3500/5 Spd. 275WHP/259WTQ 13.07@108 MPH
        1989 Camaro RS, ITB-3500/700R4. 263WHP/263WTQ 13.52@99.2 MPH
        Current Project;
        1972 Nova 12.73@105.7 MPH

Comment

rods are no problem, 2.8/3.1/3.4 all use the same rods. pistons have to be custom, however they arent that expensive to buy them custom. the destroked 3400 thing has been talked about quite a few times, for more info, try searching.

a couple years back my buddy and i were gonna do the 2000+ 3100 top end on his 2.8l in his 87 cavy, but the car got written off before we got to it. i think just as a top end swap on a stock bottom end it would be pretty decent. the 2.8l wants to rev a lot more than a 3.1l, but they cant breathe in stock form.

Comment

How much do you think a thinner headgasket is going to gain you? The very small increase in compression does jack, even going up a point does very little. Use Fel-Pro's severe duty head gasket and gain alot more reliability. Eagle makes a stronger steel crank for the 2.8 so that could increase reliability as well and it cost $175.00, use forged pistons for a 3100. The stock rods are only rated for 300hp or 7krpms so get some 327 rods and have them shaved.
            Clean Feet Pet Clean Up
            Pet Waste Removal Omaha
            We offer dog waste removal and cat waste removal services.
            (402) 320-3824, We service the Omaha, Ne. metropolitan area.

Comment

Originally posted by fivepointhustla View Post
              How much do you think a thinner headgasket is going to gain you? The very small increase in compression does jack, even going up a point does very little. Use Fel-Pro's severe duty head gasket and gain alot more reliability. Eagle makes a stronger steel crank for the 2.8 so that could increase reliability as well and it cost $175.00, use forged pistons for a 3100. The stock rods are only rated for 300hp or 7krpms so get some 327 rods and have them shaved.
              Where are you getting this misinformation?

Many people have put down more than 300hp on stock rods. Hell, Curtis was way over 400 at the crank. Paul has what 358? Kenton 320. Colin is in that range also.
              Also, the thinner headgaskets bump the compression from 8.9 to like 9.3:1. It isnt much, but anything helps. This would be a build using stock parts.

Thanks for all the comments guys. I've noticed that the 3100 in my z seems labored to rev to 6K under load. And that is with the 3400 lim, 3500 uim, 70mm tb, and a lightwieght flywheel. I'm sure it probably isnt breathing as well up there either.

-Joseph

1987 Fiero SE/Fastback - 3500 Turbo / OBD1 / '92 FWD Getrag 282

Comment

Originally posted by sharkey View Post
                rods are no problem, 2.8/3.1/3.4 all use the same rods. pistons have to be custom, however they arent that expensive to buy them custom. the destroked 3400 thing has been talked about quite a few times, for more info, try searching.

a couple years back my buddy and i were gonna do the 2000+ 3100 top end on his 2.8l in his 87 cavy, but the car got written off before we got to it. i think just as a top end swap on a stock bottom end it would be pretty decent. the 2.8l wants to rev a lot more than a 3.1l, but they cant breathe in stock form.
                I said rods because that thing would rev past 7K easy, the stock ones won't hold up for long that way.. lol

and Fallen, Curtis has custom rods
                Past Builds;
                1991 Z24, 3500/5 Spd. 275WHP/259WTQ 13.07@108 MPH
                1989 Camaro RS, ITB-3500/700R4. 263WHP/263WTQ 13.52@99.2 MPH
                Current Project;
                1972 Nova 12.73@105.7 MPH

Comment

also colin isnt pushing 300 HP nor am i. i think he had his rods shot peened, i didnt but i beam polished mine because it cost me nothing lol.

i would say your issue with the 3100 is the camshaft and the heads, match them up better then stock and you will rev past 6k just fine.

if you're sticking with all stock parts, then shave the heads .020" and use the smaller head gasket, i'm almost 100% you won't have any clearance problems with the pistons/heads or the pistons/ valves but just to make sure post your final specs of everything and measurements

a 2800 hybrid would be neat to see.
                  Last edited by treeZ24; 01-11-2007, 02:30 PM.
                  got zap-straps?
                  89 Z24
                  13.886 @ 96.16 mph
                  street trim - slicks

Comment

I was reading through the chevy power manual and I can't remember where I read it but I will consider you correct and myself incorrect since I cannot find it or remember where I read it. I apologize for regurgitating misguided info. But it does say they aren't good past 7k rpm.

No the thinner headgasket won't do jack shit. Going from 8.9 to 9.3 is going to get you what 1 or 2 hp come on why sacrifice reliability for 1 or 2 horses. Do a little research on compression and you will see. The 1 or 2 is just an estimate. Just make sure you get the severe duty gaskets, because your motor will only be as powerful as your weakest link. And boosted motors generally don't like high compression if you plan to run a lot of boost.
                    Last edited by fivepointhustla; 01-11-2007, 04:28 PM.
                    Clean Feet Pet Clean Up
                    Pet Waste Removal Omaha

Comment

actually theres a honda oriented company that ran a 11:1 c/r boosted engine and the extra compression REALLY helped out in the bottom end and made it a very competitive engine

Comment

And they use what 120 octane so for the average person that just isn't feasible.
                        Clean Feet Pet Clean Up
                        Pet Waste Removal Omaha

Comment

Geez... do I need to find the article again... I'll post it when I get home. But no, it was not running 120 octane fuel. In fact, its a 1.6L (1.8L maybe?) 4-cyl running closer to 12:1 IIRC and up to 27psi of boost, all on pump gas. It lays down in excess of 430hp, and oddly enough, its just the guy's "parts getter" vehicle. The company is Endyn (www.theoldone.com), and like I said, as soon as I get home, I'll re-post the scan of the article from Hot Rod a few years back.
                          -Brad-
                          89 Mustang : Future 60V6 Power
                          sigpic
                          Follow the build -> http://www.3x00swap.com/index.php?page=mustang-blog

Comment

Here is a different article from Hot Rod: http://www.hotrod.com/featuredvehicl...onda_civic_si/

11.2 CR, 1.55L, 487hp and 25-mpg IN THE CITY. He has made some changes since that article. Check them out here: http://www.theoldone.com/articles/La...rrys_Civic.htm
                            -Brad-
                            89 Mustang : Future 60V6 Power
                            sigpic
                            Follow the build -> http://www.3x00swap.com/index.php?page=mustang-blog

Comment

his timing is probably dialed way back though, from the potential the engine could have on race gas.

none the less, amazing project and the guy has skills and deep pockets lol.
                              got zap-straps?
                              89 Z24
                              13.886 @ 96.16 mph
                              street trim - slicks

Comment

Working...
                              X