65mm TCE TB Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 65mm TCE TB Questions

I am getting ready to purchase a 65mm TB from the 60*v6 store so I just wanted to verify what, if anything, needs to be done to get it to work correctly with my motor/car.

If I have read correctly this will bolt up to the 3400 UIM perfectly (I have a UIM coming to me from ihatemygag that has been already ported for a 65mm TB. The manifold is from a '99 and I am getting a '99 EGR setup from him too. Can I just do an EGR Delete to go around this and if so do I need to do anything in the computer for that.

Any information that anyone knows please feel free to let me know.

Thanks In Advance,

-Derek

Originally posted by strtrydr View Post
    I am getting ready to purchase a 65mm TB from the 60*v6 store so I just wanted to verify what, if anything, needs to be done to get it to work correctly with my motor/car.

If I have read correctly this will bolt up to the 3400 UIM perfectly (I have a UIM coming to me from ihatemygag that has been already ported for a 65mm TB. The manifold is from a '99 and I am getting a '99 EGR setup from him too. Can I just do an EGR Delete to go around this and if so do I need to do anything in the computer for that.

Any information that anyone knows please feel free to let me know.

Thanks In Advance,

-Derek
    Yes, it will bolt up perfectly to the manifold. If it's already been ported to 65mm so much the better. You will need to transfer your throttle linkage and sensors over to the new TB iirc. It's not hard. For the EGR, if he's giving it too you then you might as well put it in. There are positives and negatives for using it, but the positives are minimal and if you delete it YES you must either have the pcm programmed to delete the codes or you must buy an EGR sim. Probably not worth it unless you're building an all out performance motor.
    '97 Grand Prix GT 3800 (sold)
    '00 Grand Am GT 3400 supercharged
    13.788 @ 103.73 mph, 320whp 300 ft/lbs
    Gotta love boost!

Comment

thanks, that information is what I was looking for ... I forgot to add that my car is a 2000 so I dunno if that will cause any difference except for the already mentioned EGR issue. Also, will I need to do anything wih the coolant line that runs into the TB or does the TCE one have provisions for that?

One other question I thought of is since I have a 2000 model 3400 will that cause any issues with th '99 model manifold (alignment, fitment?)

And this is not going to be a full-out performance motor. Just trying to get some more power and build up to the in-the-future turbo build with BlackJack.

Thanks Again.
      Last edited by strtrydr; 03-02-2007, 02:17 PM. Reason: Added a question!

Comment

the plenum will bolt up perfect.

BTW, How is Glendale these days? I used to go to school there (Apollo HS)
        Last edited by Superdave; 03-02-2007, 02:39 PM.
        Past Builds;
        1991 Z24, 3500/5 Spd. 275WHP/259WTQ 13.07@108 MPH
        1989 Camaro RS, ITB-3500/700R4. 263WHP/263WTQ 13.52@99.2 MPH
        Current Project;
        1972 Nova 12.73@105.7 MPH

Comment

From the "DIY Throttle Body Walkthough" thread;

NOTE: You will need to bypass the coolant lines to your throttle body as they are not needed nor is there a place to put them with these throttle bodies.
          "A spirit with a vision is a dream... with a mission"
          -RUSH

Comment

Okay ... thanks

Comment

I don't think an EGR sim would work unless it fools the MAP sensor too. I blocked off my EGR and left it plugged in and it still threw a code because it didn't see the change in MAP. Plus it leans out the car when the EGR is open and if it were to think it's there but it's not that might be bad...

So if you have the adapter just use it. If you have a powertuner then you can turn it off. You will loose a little mpg without it, but not much.
              sigpic New 2010 project (click image)
              1994 3100 BERETTA. 200,000+ miles
              16.0 1/4 mile when stock. Now ???
              Original L82 Longblock
              with LA1, LX9, LX5 parts
              Manifold-back 2.5" SS Mandrel Exhaust. Hardware is SS too.

Comment

Have you noticed any loss in mpg? I never have seen a drop from turning the EGR off.
                Ben
                60DegreeV6.com
                WOT-Tech.com

Comment

The EGR will cost you 1 MPG, hahahahahaa. So there really is no loss...
                  WB tune your car and there would be no issues at all. You would actually gain until you hit the throttle hard! No one can give you any idea of mileage at WOT, it's just not possible.

Comment

Yeah the EGR mpg is probably un-noticeable. In theory they say you save some fuel because there is less air to burn since it's sucking in exhaust. The amount that it sucks in is probably negligible. The EGR only opens when cruising with the throttle barely open. It closes when accelerating or at low speeds.
                    Original L82 Longblock
                    with LA1, LX9, LX5 parts

Comment

Originally posted by IsaacHayes View Post
                      Yeah the EGR mpg is probably un-noticeable. In theory they say you save some fuel because there is less air to burn since it's sucking in exhaust. The amount that it sucks in is probably negligible. The EGR only opens when cruising with the throttle barely open. It closes when accelerating or at low speeds.
                      Well, when the EGR opens depends somewhat on the cars programming but they all "generally work the same". On newer GA's it actually opens only when the engine is at certain temps and during low throttle and cruising. It closes at high throttle.

About the sim, it does actually work. I had one from zzp for my car before I got the DHP tuner, and I didn't get any codes with it. It has an option to wire it into the MAP sensor to correct the signal if needed. I didn't have it hooked up though. The pcm only tests the MAP signal once per driving cycle during deceleration with the EGR open and compares the signal to the EGR pintle position voltage and uses that to determine adequate EGR flow. It only sets a code if the flow is out of a certain range.
                      Gotta love boost!

Comment

ZZP eh, Hmm I'll check it out. My car threw the bright ass SES light in my face all time time when I had the EGR blocked off. I still had it plugged in, so it was simulating in that regard, but it still knew that it wasn't functioning. I bolted an aluminum plate between the manifold and EGR. My car is 1994 3100 speed density setup.

Anyways back on topic a bit more, you have a 2000 EGR setup, so a 99 manifold and 99 EGR should hook up to the electrical harness. The EGR pipe to the manifold won't exactly bolt up I think. (The pipe may work if you have the flange part with threaded bolt holes from 99, but I'm not sure without closely looking at them) So getting a 96-99 EGR pipe may be needed.
                        Last edited by IsaacHayes; 03-06-2007, 09:39 PM.
                        Original L82 Longblock
                        with LA1, LX9, LX5 parts

Comment

have u seen all of the deposits that the EGR leaves over time. all of the gas additives in the world cannot remove all of that. it hurts flow alot, and can actually act like a sponge and absorb some of the fuel. what part of the egr system would u look at to delete the codes with the PT?

Comment

Any codes in your factory manual that have anything to do with the EGR and that show up in the PT calibration file. I think there's like six (I'd have to get my laptop out and check), and then you should also reset the EGR temp disable to the max temp so the pcm will never try to turn it on.
                            Gotta love boost!

Comment

Working...
                            X