3400 starter wiring help please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3400 starter wiring help please

I posted a question in the maintenance section but didnt get any help, I realize this is an elementary question, but i am unsure, thanks for any help....The starter is for the 3400, stock with engine. There are 3 posts on the solenoid. 2 are bronze colored and one is silver colored. One bronze colored post is below the other bronze and it has a large braided cable that runs to it in sight. I know that i have 2 lines to hook up to the starter, one is the power from the battery and the other is the signal line, but i do not know what to hook these up too. thanks a lot for any help!

The two large posts, one is the positive power cable from the alternator and the other is a ground. I don't remember exactly which goes to which (top and bottom), but I believe the copper post is the positive and the silver is negative. I don't have my car here to look at right now. I know the small post on the solenoid is to activate the solenoid and engage the starter. It should be pretty plain which wire goes to that post.
    '97 Grand Prix GT 3800 (sold)
    '00 Grand Am GT 3400 supercharged
    13.788 @ 103.73 mph, 320whp 300 ft/lbs
    Gotta love boost!

Comment

thanks for the explanation, i got it hooked up and it fired up for the first time yesterday! haha that was cool.

Comment

Originally posted by AaronGTR View Post
        The two large posts, one is the positive power cable from the alternator and the other is a ground.
        Almost...the large post with no wire coming out of it is were the big wire from the battery or alternator (depending on the setup) hooks to, but the other big post with the braided cable is not a ground, it supplies the power from the other big post with the battery cable on it to the armature which turns the pinion gear.

Comment

Working...
        X