Who makes the strongest timing chain?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who makes the strongest timing chain?

Since a double roller, gear drive, or belt drive arent available (and wont be any time soon) who makes the strongest timing chain? I bought a cloyes timing set a couple months ago, and after researching here, im not going to put it on the engine. Too many people have had problems with them.

There are the two styles of chains->
    Originally posted by SappySE107 View Post
    The older blocks all use a 20/40 tooth setup. In 2000, the 3100 and 3400 both got a 25/50 tooth setup. Is there a reason GM went with more teeth/linkages? Which would be stronger by design? Im looking for the strongest timing chain I can put on a 3400.
    Has it been determined which style is the stronger of the two?
    2006 AWD TBSS 12.538 @ 106.92 1.66 60' Bolt-ons only

Hmm... that doesn't make me feel too solid about having recently purchased and installed a new Cloyes timing kit on my 04 3400...

Sadly I'm too damn broke to go with something different now too...

14.60 @ 96.33 for now...

Comment

I don't know if anyone has any results yet. I think Dave and Mars are going to the older ones and will see how they fare next.

The older has fewer links in it and is a bit larger. I would think that would be less stretch with less links. However more stress at the edges of the gear since it would be bending more than one with a bunch of links..

EDIT: FWIW I replaced my chain a couple months ago. It's the old style. I put a cloyes chain on it but did not put the cloyes gears on because the cast wasn't that nice and it was actually looser with the cloys gears compared to using my old gears. So I'm running original gears with new cloys chain.
      Last edited by IsaacHayes; 12-05-2007, 08:23 PM.
      sigpic New 2010 project (click image)
      1994 3100 BERETTA. 200,000+ miles
      16.0 1/4 mile when stock. Now ???
      Original L82 Longblock
      with LA1, LX9, LX5 parts
      Manifold-back 2.5" SS Mandrel Exhaust. Hardware is SS too.

Comment

i stretched mine after 800 miles, it was a stock GM '04 chain.

I may try the older style but i'm also waiting to see if someone comes up with a spacer to allow me to use the gen2 double roller setup.
        Past Builds;
        1991 Z24, 3500/5 Spd. 275WHP/259WTQ 13.07@108 MPH
        1989 Camaro RS, ITB-3500/700R4. 263WHP/263WTQ 13.52@99.2 MPH
        Current Project;
        1972 Nova 12.73@105.7 MPH

Comment

Originally posted by Superdave View Post

I may try the older style but i'm also waiting to see if someone comes up with a spacer to allow me to use the gen2 double roller setup.
          What about machining the inside of the timing cover? Its been discussed on here recently I know. If there is a spacer made for the cover, wont you need to move all the pullies farther out to work with the water pump?

Comment

Originally posted by silvergtjrad View Post
            What about machining the inside of the timing cover? Its been discussed on here recently I know. If there is a spacer made for the cover, wont you need to move all the pullies farther out to work with the water pump?
            Read this:
            Lifting my front wheels, one jack at a time.

Comment

There's also the issue of cam reatiner to gear clearance. I'm going to try and bolt a 3.4 cam in a 3500 block I have to see if there are any other issues.

Does the Gen2 cam have a single bolt on the cam?

I'm hoping to find a simple way to eliminate the single bolt, and skinny chain.

BTW, the Gen1 chain is twice as thick as the 3500's.
              Links:
              WOT-Tech.com
              FaceBook
              Instagram

Comment

the gen2 has the 3 cam bolts i think
                '86 Grand National

Comment

im going with the older style again. there wasnt much play in mine when i disassembled my engine and i had an older style. thats boosted with ls6 springs for about 37,000... so older is better
                  [SIGPIC]
                  12.268@117... 11's to come!
                  turbo 3400: 358whp and 365tq at 9 psi
                  ASE Master Technician. GM Certified.
                  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ibU1k8UZoo
                  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GUqJyopd720

Comment

Originally posted by MidnightriderZ24 View Post
                    im going with the older style again. there wasnt much play in mine when i disassembled my engine and i had an older style. thats boosted with ls6 springs for about 37,000... so older is better
                    Well thats reassuring. What brand?

Comment

does no one remember colin's hybrid?? he wore out the gm timing chain on the gen 2 block after just a summer of racing...

not sure about the cloyes though, thats what i'm using but i havent had the engine apart in a year and half.
                      Last edited by treeZ24; 12-07-2007, 01:00 AM.
                      got zap-straps?
                      89 Z24
                      13.886 @ 96.16 mph
                      street trim - slicks

Comment

Originally posted by treeZ24 View Post
                        does no one remember colin's hybrid?? he wore out the gm timing chain on the gen 2 block after just a summer of racing...

not sure about the cloyes though, thats what i'm using but i havent had the engine apart in a year and half.
                        I wonder if we could just cut out that whole area for the timing chain on the cover, then have someone machine out a new piece to cover the hole that would allow the clearance needed. Ooh.. maybe even one out of clear acrylic so it would be easy to inspect the chain.
                        Past Builds;
                        1991 Z24, 3500/5 Spd. 275WHP/259WTQ 13.07@108 MPH
                        1989 Camaro RS, ITB-3500/700R4. 263WHP/263WTQ 13.52@99.2 MPH
                        Current Project;
                        1972 Nova 12.73@105.7 MPH

Comment

I wonder if we could just cut out that whole area for the timing chain on the cover, then have someone machine out a new piece to cover the hole that would allow the clearance needed. Ooh.. maybe even one out of clear acrylic so it would be easy to inspect the chain.
                          Only if it came with color changing neon tubes pre installed.

Comment

I thought TCE is working on a billet cover?

What's stopping you from using a gen1/2 cover?
                            Links:
                            WOT-Tech.com
                            FaceBook
                            Instagram

Comment

I may go with the old one when I see how my 04 one held up for 10k with a Milzy cam and LS6 springs... I'm just not sure what brand.

Got Lope?
                              3500 Build, Comp XFI Cam 218/230 .050 dur .570/.568 lift 113LSA
                              Fully Balanced, Ported, 3 Angle Valve Job, 65mm TCE TB, S&S Headers.
                              Stage-1 Raybestos/Alto 4t60e-HD, EP LSD, 3.69FDR
                              12.61@105 Epping NH Oct 2015 Nitrous 100shot (melted plugs) 13.58@98.8 N/A 3200LBS

Comment

Working...
                              X