2.8/3.4 roller rockers???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2.8/3.4 roller rockers???

Right now I have a 2.8 and looking to put roller rockers on it. I would like to know with the stock cam what all else do I need to swap out. Also I'm pretty sure it will but will everything be good to swap over to the 3.4 if I ever find one. Like the push rods and springs if I got to get new ones. Its all going in a 87 auto/4x4 blazer. Also I'm already searching through 14+ pages trying to find the answer now.
    Last edited by neo71665; 01-06-2008, 11:50 PM.
    87 3.4 4x4 blazer
    3 inch body lift, t-bar/shackle lift, 31x10.5s

Assuming it's an iron head 2.8 that originally came in a Blazer, you've got a couple of options.
    The Crane gold rockers for the 60šV6 is the easiest bolt in. Or you can order the ARP metric to standard rocker studs and use SBC self aligning roller rockers.

These can be swapped over to either iron head or aluminum headed engines.
    Franz

1990 Z24-NA 3.1L
    14.72 @ 92.24 MPH
    14.89 @ 94.92 MPH

The boost is coming....

Comment

Franz is still alive!!!!!!
      Andy

sigpic

fastest 1/8: 10.19@ 67.17
      fastest 1/4: 16.16@ 82.70

62mm TB, 1.6 roller tip rockers, Ostrich 2.0, UD pulley, TB heater bypass, K&N, 180* stat, No cat, 99Grand AM dual cooling fans. 4T65E swap FDR 3.69, EP LSD, F.A.S.T. transmission controller, TransGo shift kit.

Comment

Originally posted by XLR8ING View Post
        Assuming it's an iron head 2.8 that originally came in a Blazer, you've got a couple of options.
        The Crane gold rockers for the 60šV6 is the easiest bolt in. Or you can order the ARP metric to standard rocker studs and use SBC self aligning roller rockers.

These can be swapped over to either iron head or aluminum headed engines.
        No you CANNOT use self aligning rockers. You MUST use NON self aligning rockers. They must be compatible with guide plates. and they MUST also be narrow body rockers also called center bolt rockers by some.

I have the Crane rockers on mine but knowing what I know now, buying the ARP stud kit and picking up a set of of Scorpion rockers is a much cheaper route to the same end. Unless our store still sells the Crane ones. I know they are a better price on this site than they were locally for me.
        1993 EXT. CAB, 3.4L V6 TBI, 5spd manual. Sonoma
        1990 4Door, 3.2L V6 TBI, 5spd manual. 4X4. Trooper
        Because... I am, CANADIAN

Comment

Scorpion sells narrow body roller rockers? Interesting. I still sell the cranes as well as the mod service to clear the lower intake on aluminum heads.

Nice to see you Franz
          Ben
          60DegreeV6.com
          WOT-Tech.com

Comment

So just to back up what I've read, with the 1.6 rockers I can just bolt them on (with the correct studs to convert it) and the stock push rods and springs will be fine with the stock cam.
            87 3.4 4x4 blazer

Comment

Originally posted by SappySE107 View Post
              Scorpion sells narrow body roller rockers? Interesting. I still sell the cranes as well as the mod service to clear the lower intake on aluminum heads.
              Yup SCP1038 for sixteen 1.6 ratio or SCP1088 for twelve 1.6 ratio

Originally posted by neo71665
              So just to back up what I've read, with the 1.6 rockers I can just bolt them on (with the correct studs to convert it) and the stock push rods and springs will be fine with the stock cam.
              Yup. On S-10's the only work you might need to do is a slight relief of the pushrod guide plate. Depending on the lift of your cam it may contact with the 1.6 rockers but it is an easy fix. Stock cam should be ok. You need to change your valve springs though. They just wont cut it anymore. You should never reuse old springs even if you are not putting in roller rockers.

Comment

Ooops, sorry, got my rockers mixed up.
                I should know better considering I have the Harland Sharp SBC rockers on my 3.1.

Thanks guys. I'm still kicking, just not as much lately.
                Franz

1990 Z24-NA 3.1L
                14.72 @ 92.24 MPH
                14.89 @ 94.92 MPH

The boost is coming....

Comment

I just picked up a set of Summit (narrow) 1.6 full rollers that will get a test fit soon.
                  Links:
                  WOT-Tech.com
                  FaceBook
                  Instagram

Comment

Originally posted by neo71665 View Post
                    Yes! I did it and they work great!

Why would the S-10's be different?
                    Andy

sigpic

62mm TB, 1.6 roller tip rockers, Ostrich 2.0, UD pulley, TB heater bypass, K&N, 180* stat, No cat, 99Grand AM dual cooling fans. 4T65E swap FDR 3.69, EP LSD, F.A.S.T. transmission controller, TransGo shift kit.

Comment

I'm gonna be using new springs. I'm rebuilding the heads and my uncle has some rockers he got off ebay that were missing one out of the set (for a v. He gave them to me when I asked and they turned out to be crane golds but 1.6. I just wanted to make sure I didn't need any heavier springs or custom push rods cause I've already ordered both in the stock size. I did try to search but only come up with a ton of threads not addressing this.

Thanks
                      87 3.4 4x4 blazer

Comment

You should get heavier springs. Not just new ones. The stock springs, even new, are hopelessly weak. I would install a set of Comp springs or GM Crate engine springs.

Comment

oops, the gold roller rockers... thought you meant the crane roller tips. oh well..
                          Andy

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                          X