TCE egr adapter prob on 3400

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TCE egr adapter prob on 3400

I know I havent been here in a while, but lately Ive had a problem that I just cant figure out. I first had a problem with the EGR adapter for the '90-'95 to '00+ I kept melting the breather tube from the air intake to the rear valve cover. The adapter is just long enough that the EGR bolt melts a hole through the pipe. I *hopefully* have that solved now ( on the 3rd tube ) but the real problem I have now is the adapter keeps coming loose on the manifold. Ive tried locktite, the red stuff, and it still comes loose after only about 100miles of driving, then the car starts idling like shit. Does anyone have any ideas on how to keep it tight, short of JB welding the bolts into the manifold? its not a huge problem but is really annoying.

Thanks
    sigpic
    1994 Oldsmobile Cultass Supreme SL
    3400/Getrag 284 5spd
    1995 Chevy K1500 350c.i. 5spd Z71
    350/NV3500 5spd
    2014 Chevrolet Malibu LS

Hmm. Mine I made myself but I used silicone on both sides of the gasket because I re-used the gasket that came with the 3500 plenum since I didn't feel like dropping $12 on a new one at the parts store (why they were so much I don't know). The gasket was chewed up too from ripping part of it off the 3500 EGR. My design used threaded rod, and nuts on the end.

No idea why yours is coming loose if mine hasn't....

BTW hows the motor running? ECM doing ok?
    sigpic New 2010 project (click image)
    1994 3100 BERETTA. 200,000+ miles
    16.0 1/4 mile when stock. Now ???
    Original L82 Longblock
    with LA1, LX9, LX5 parts
    Manifold-back 2.5" SS Mandrel Exhaust. Hardware is SS too.

Comment

Can you take a picture of your setup? I would like to see the egr bolt vs tube to the breather since I don't have anything here to duplicate it. I have no idea why it won't stay tight though, especially if you are using loctite. That should be overkill.
      Ben
      60DegreeV6.com
      WOT-Tech.com

Comment

My tube is resting on the side of the EGR steel flange IIRC. No melt yet. I'll check it after work and verify.
        Original L82 Longblock
        with LA1, LX9, LX5 parts

Comment

Ill try to get some pictures up soon. I think its starting to come loose again as I have a slight hesitation in the upper RPM's.

Motor is running pretty good though. The ECM seems like its doing pretty good. I still wanna get the 65mm TB on there and see how it fairs with that.
          sigpic
          3400/Getrag 284 5spd
          350/NV3500 5spd
          2014 Chevrolet Malibu LS

Comment

heres a few pictures the set-up...

You can see the wrap that I used to hopefully not melt this tube for the third time.... I didnt take a picture of the other tubes with the holes.. You can also see the EGR bolt in both these pictures.

Heres a close up of the routing of the breather tube around the EGR

The adapter sticks out far enough back that this becomes an issue. ( atleast for me ) As for the loosening.. Im not sure yet I need to check the bolts again to see if they came loose.

Ben, do these pictures help you?
            sigpic
            3400/Getrag 284 5spd
            350/NV3500 5spd
            2014 Chevrolet Malibu LS

Comment

I suggest you cut the ends off that tube and attach them to either side of a hard line... like.. copper? I dont know, thats what i'd do... i guess

Comment

I just found out mine rests the same way (my adapter I made). The tube rests on top of the bolt head. It has a little V melted into it, but not melted through. Maybe I will wrap it in aluminum duct tape? When my new TB comes I may have to use a new air filter tube so I may just make something different for the breather. The TB has a large connector for breather stock anyways I could use that instead.
                Original L82 Longblock
                with LA1, LX9, LX5 parts

Comment

The tube issue is now solved. the wrap did the trick. but yet I still have the problem of the EGR adapter coming loose...
                  sigpic
                  3400/Getrag 284 5spd
                  350/NV3500 5spd
                  2014 Chevrolet Malibu LS

Comment

Originally posted by 19Cutlass94 View Post
                    The tube issue is now solved. the wrap did the trick. but yet I still have the problem of the EGR adapter coming loose...
                    Jay,
                    I have not heard of anyone having problems with the adapters coming loose and don't see why the bolts would continue to loosen. Have you looked at the threads in the UIM to see if they are sloppy, partially stripped or perhaps if a PO had ran the wrong tap through them?

I want you to be happy and not worrying about a leak. If you will PM me your address, I will gladly send you a new set of longer bolts and special lock washers. I will also include some nuts to lock the bolts in place from the back side but would like for you to just use the longer bolts and lock washers at first to see if they resolve the problem.
                    MinusOne - 3100 - 4T60E
                    '79 MGB - LZ9 - T5
                    http://www.tcemotorsports.com
                    http://www.britishcarconversions.com/lx9-conversion

Comment

Originally posted by CNCguy View Post
                      Jay,
                      I have not heard of anyone having problems with the adapters coming loose and don't see why the bolts would continue to loosen. Have you looked at the threads in the UIM to see if they are sloppy, partially stripped or perhaps if a PO had ran the wrong tap through them?

I want you to be happy and not worrying about a leak. If you will PM me your address, I will gladly send you a new set of longer bolts and special lock washers. I will also include some nuts to lock the bolts in place from the back side but would like for you to just use the longer bolts and lock washers at first to see if they resolve the problem.
                      now thats good service right there

Comment

Originally posted by CNCguy View Post
                        Jay,

We had the plenum PC'ed, but that part was covered and wasnt shot. We ran the correct tap down all the threads to make sure there wasnt any PC in any of them. Even with the locktite I put on there before, it losened up and the bolts came out very easy for something that locktite was used on. I tried a high temp one, but that still didnt work. Its starting to loosen up, check it today.

Ill PM you with my address, and Ill try the bolts with the lock washers.
                        sigpic
                        3400/Getrag 284 5spd
                        350/NV3500 5spd
                        2014 Chevrolet Malibu LS

Comment

Working...
                        X