2.8 Fiero or hybrid 3.1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2.8 Fiero or hybrid 3.1

I have an '85 Fiero 2.8. When time comes to rebuild, do you think I should rebuild the Fiero 2.8 or put in a 3.1 hybrid? I have the crank , pistons and an '89 Firebird donor engine. I had great luck with my 3.1 hybrid in my S10. I was really impressed with the added power. I know a 3.4 would be the best set-up but I have the complete 3.1.
    Is there an advantage to using the Fiero 2.8? Also, does the water pump on the Fiero turn the other way like Serpinetine '87 up Blazers? Question because I'll need a different pan, '87, and front cover if I use the 3.1.
    '86 S10 Blazer 4WD, '87 2.8 with 3.1 crank and pistons, A.R.I. "Stage 2 Cam", Iron Heads with stiffer springs, Holley TBI, Manifold bored to fit the TBI Base(4.3 size), Fiero Covers, MSD Coil, DynoMax Muffler and 2.5 Tailpipe, no cat, Auburn Limited Slip, 3.73 final Drive. 700R. '85 Fiero GT 3.4 Hybrid, relieved top intake and exhaust, 57mm TB, Auto. 3.06 final drive.

Best setup would be a 3100, 3400 or 3500 LX9 or even 3900

I'm not sure why people like to swap the RWD engines into the Fiero, other than so they can keep the iron heads and the fiero intake manifold since it says fiero on it...
    sigpic New 2010 project (click image)
    1994 3100 BERETTA. 200,000+ miles
    16.0 1/4 mile when stock. Now ???
    Original L82 Longblock
    with LA1, LX9, LX5 parts
    Manifold-back 2.5" SS Mandrel Exhaust. Hardware is SS too.

Comment

Like he said, anything that replaces those horrid cast iron heads is a move in the right direction.

If you want to keep the heads (many [people, includng me opt to do that for various reasons), the easiest cheapest way to go is just install those 3.1 pistons and crank you have in your original block - the rods are interchangeable.

That way you reuse all the Fiero specific ancillaries - a dead easy rebuild.

Comment

LONG LIVE THE IRON HEAD!

Yeah, I'd like some Gen 3 or 4 heads, but it's a much easier swap to keep the iron. I think I'm going stroke a Trooper 2.8L out to 3.1L because it's easy and I have almost everything to do it already.
        '98 Volvo V90 - Ford 5.0 swap in progress
        '96 LR Range Rover 4.6 HSE - suspiciously reliable
        '92 Volvo 740 Wagon - former parts car, now daily-driver beater
        '71 Opel Kadett Wagon - 1.9L CIH w/ Weber DGV 32/36, in bits

Comment

I guess I'll go with the 3.1. I have the crank, pistons and crank bearings, a rebuilt set of iron heads and a donor '89 Firebird block. Is the Fiero cam grind anything special? I'll have to get an '87 Fiero pan and a #12509037 timing cover. Does anyone have one to sell(the timing cover)? The pan doesn't bolt to it and it takes the earlier water pump, pre- serpentine. I assume the Fiero pump turns the same as an '85 S10. It has one serp that runs everything except A/C which has a V-belt. Internal balance pulley and flexplate too, I would guess are two more items I'll need.

#12509037 cover. Got one?
          Last edited by Ray Hamilton; 02-07-2009, 02:10 PM.
          '86 S10 Blazer 4WD, '87 2.8 with 3.1 crank and pistons, A.R.I. "Stage 2 Cam", Iron Heads with stiffer springs, Holley TBI, Manifold bored to fit the TBI Base(4.3 size), Fiero Covers, MSD Coil, DynoMax Muffler and 2.5 Tailpipe, no cat, Auburn Limited Slip, 3.73 final Drive. 700R. '85 Fiero GT 3.4 Hybrid, relieved top intake and exhaust, 57mm TB, Auto. 3.06 final drive.

Comment

Working...
          X