200+ WHP?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 200+ WHP?

What exactly does it take to get at least 200bhp to the wheels with a '00 3400 and an auto tranny?

I find all these threads with wild builds which are all very nice, but just want a reliable 200 - 225bhp. Will it require heads and a cam? Or just ported intakes with headers... I have a 3400 sitting on my garage floor collecting dust and I want to use it but I want more than the stock 185bhp that it churns out.

Also what do I do with the AIR ports in the exhast side of the heads? I am obviously not going to use them.

So I guess my question is what are the realistic gains with the ported intakes and/or would just finding some 3500 heads and intakes be more worthwhile? I don't really have 800 bucks to carve out the 3400 heads...

Thanks for any input
    sigpic

"When you don't do anything, you have plenty of time to post questions that don't mean anything tomorrow."
    - Ben

Ported heads and a tune, as well as a K&n and 2.5" exhaust are all the mods I have. I've been trying to get it to the dyno for a shit and a giggle, but turning a 9.72 in the 1/8 mile with a 3500 lb car probably puts me near 200 whp

Case in point: A stock Series II 3.8 SC usually dyno's 200-240 at the wheels and I can walk them lightly from a roll. From a dig my 3600 stall converter doesn't give them any hope. A GTP is comparable in weight to my Lumina.
    Last edited by Monzsta; 02-10-2009, 05:14 AM.
    '97 Chevy Lumina, '99 LA1, ported heads, manifolds, 2 1/2" exhaust, k&n filter, 180* stat, A/C delete, Ram air, 3600 FAFB converter, 4T60E shift kit, DHP Power Tuner, AEM UEGO, MegaSquirt II/Extra

1/8 mile 9.72@75 mph, 2.0 60 foot

Comment

For the K&N only use a drop in filter. These engines do NOT like cones, and tend to lose torque by using a cone filter. The stock airbox (at least in the w-body) is really well designed, and is not as restrictive and most people think.
      Taylor
      1988 Olds Cutlass Supreme 3100 MPFI
      1990 Pontiac Grand Prix STE 3.1 MPFI
      1994 Olds Cutlass Supreme convertible
      1998 Lincoln Mark VIII
      "find something simple and complicate it"

Comment

"redbird"s 3400 is a stock 90K bottom end, 1617 grind cam from the WOT-Tech store, some ported heads from me and some tuning is 224 WHP although it's a 5 speed. He's had a few problems recently but he drives the crap out of it.

to get 200 WHP you need to shoot for about 260 crank HP. A 3500 top end, good cam and 3500 exhaust manifolds with a good tune will do that easy.
        Past Builds;
        1991 Z24, 3500/5 Spd. 275WHP/259WTQ 13.07@108 MPH
        1989 Camaro RS, ITB-3500/700R4. 263WHP/263WTQ 13.52@99.2 MPH
        Current Project;
        1972 Nova 12.73@105.7 MPH

Comment

I need to save up some money... how long can an engine sit on a garage floor?
          sigpic

"When you don't do anything, you have plenty of time to post questions that don't mean anything tomorrow."
          - Ben

Comment

I fired up a 2.8L and it ran great after sitting in my parents barn for 2.5 years before I installed it in a friend's truck.
            '98 Volvo V90 - Ford 5.0 swap in progress
            '96 LR Range Rover 4.6 HSE - suspiciously reliable
            '92 Volvo 740 Wagon - former parts car, now daily-driver beater
            '71 Opel Kadett Wagon - 1.9L CIH w/ Weber DGV 32/36, in bits

Comment

Originally posted by 3100 MPFI View Post
              For the K&N only use a drop in filter. These engines do NOT like cones, and tend to lose torque by using a cone filter. The stock airbox (at least in the w-body) is really well designed, and is not as restrictive and most people think.
              Totally agree... I thought I would be outflowing my air box because the opening is only in the very front of it and it's just a little slot, but I drilled holes in my airbox to test and my MAF showed that I was drawing in no extra air, just warmer air. I need a new air box bottom I use a K&N dropin however.
              SpudFiles
              Blast vegetables and whatever else you can think of!
              Theopia
              Enjoy life online.

1996 3500GP Coupe, "Bright White".
              3500 swap, 60degreeV6 1393 Cam, Ported Intakes, Comp Cams Valve Springs, 65mm TB, Custom Pushrods, S&S Headers, 97 PCM with DHP Powrtuner, 2.5" back to dual Hooker Aerochambers, SS Brake Lines, Addco swaybar, KYB's, Intrax Springs, STB's, etc!

Comment

The snorkel on my stock box was about 1.5" opening, way less than the stock TB.. hahah. I opened up some parts on it, but it draws from fender air too so not really hot air there.
                sigpic New 2010 project (click image)
                1994 3100 BERETTA. 200,000+ miles
                16.0 1/4 mile when stock. Now ???
                Original L82 Longblock
                with LA1, LX9, LX5 parts
                Manifold-back 2.5" SS Mandrel Exhaust. Hardware is SS too.

Comment

Originally posted by Superdave View Post
                  "redbird"s 3400 is a stock 90K bottom end, 1617 grind cam from the WOT-Tech store, some ported heads from me and some tuning is 224 WHP although it's a 5 speed. He's had a few problems recently but he drives the crap out of it.

to get 200 WHP you need to shoot for about 260 crank HP. A 3500 top end, good cam and 3500 exhaust manifolds with a good tune will do that easy.
                  so basically a cam and a tune will get 260 BHP in a 3500!? seems a bit optimistic
                  Last edited by ZeeTwentyFour; 02-19-2009, 02:17 PM.

Comment

You will not get 260 WHP that way. Need to at least add headers/full open exhaust to that list.
                    SpudFiles
                    Blast vegetables and whatever else you can think of!
                    Theopia
                    Enjoy life online.

1996 3500GP Coupe, "Bright White".
                    3500 swap, 60degreeV6 1393 Cam, Ported Intakes, Comp Cams Valve Springs, 65mm TB, Custom Pushrods, S&S Headers, 97 PCM with DHP Powrtuner, 2.5" back to dual Hooker Aerochambers, SS Brake Lines, Addco swaybar, KYB's, Intrax Springs, STB's, etc!

Comment

Originally posted by PCGUY112887 View Post
                      You will not get 260 WHP that way. Need to at least add headers/full open exhaust to that list.
                      I wasn't talking about wheel horsepower, notice BHP, brake horse power.

Comment

Originally posted by PCGUY112887 View Post
                        Totally agree... I thought I would be outflowing my air box because the opening is only in the very front of it and it's just a little slot, but I drilled holes in my airbox to test and my MAF showed that I was drawing in no extra air, just warmer air. I need a new air box bottom I use a K&N dropin however.
                        Not to thread hijack, but would a fender well intake be better than the stock airbox? One thing I have noticed with the cone filter is that it murdered my gas mileage and I'm either going to run it into the fender or put the stock box back in.

Dual Outlet Exhaust with Resonator Delete, Front STB, Rear STB, GMPP Trailing Arms

Comment

isnt bhp the same as whp? thats what i always assumed
                          sigpic
                          88 Beretta CL- 13.641@102.76mph (rwd LS1/t56 conversion in progress)

77 Celica GT- 3400/3500 swap in progress (engine from the beretta)

Comment

Not the same thing at all. BHP is measured at the crank. That is, with the engine directly connected to a dyno. Wheel horsepower is measured at the wheels on a chassis dyno. The difference is the loss through the remainder of the drivetrain.

Comment

What gain can be realized from just porting the intakes and going to headers? I am thinking that head work and a cam might have to wait for a while yet...
                              sigpic

- Ben

Comment

Working...
                              X