3400, 3.4 Pistons

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3400, 3.4 Pistons

I've been searching around to learn about a high compression 3400 I'd like to eventually put together. I know that the 3.4 (Iron Head, RWD, Camaro) pistons work in the 3400. I think that all of those are the same pistons, but I know that different heads I get a different CR.

I know I could go with 3400 heads or 3500 heads, but not sure what CR I would end up with.

I tried to use the CR Calc, but didn't understand it.

My goal is around N/A 250 FWHP (01 GA GT), but would prefer to use the 3400 UIM (as it looks best).

I'm posting in my own thread s it gets bumped, and to post more info that I've learned.

Sounds like if i go with 3.4 RWD pistons, and 3500 heads will give me about a 11.5 SCR. I know going with 3400 heads would give me a high SCR, but I fear too high to tune easily, and for DD use.

So it sounds like my build would go together basically like this.
    RWD 3.4 pistons
    3500 Top End P&P (and phenolic spacers if they fit)
    65mm billet TB w/ adapter
    Stock Rods shot peened
    knife edge crank w/ crank scraper
    S&S Headers hi-flo cat

A few things I'm not sure on would be cam, and how the 3500 TE would affect smaller parts to get it to run.

If any of that looks to be over kill, like the shot peening and things like that let me know. I'm new to the idea of putting an engine together, and far from starting. I'm just trying to learn and plan at this point.

Comment

I take it you figured out the CR calculator then?

I haven't punched any of your numbers in, but that looks about right. And as far as going overboard with things like shotpeening, etc., I wouldn't worry about it. I'd rather built it right the first time than worry about it later. List looked pretty good to me. Just make sure you have a way to tune it!
      -Brad-
      89 Mustang : Future 60V6 Power
      sigpic
      Follow the build -> http://www.3x00swap.com/index.php?page=mustang-blog

Comment

I didn't figure outthe CR calc, I jsut read around. You suggest shot peening the rods?

What would I be looking at for crank/wheel hp? I'd like about 250 wheel.

Comment

if you want 250whp you are going to need one hell of a good tune as well as an aggressive cam, & even then i cant be sure that youll get 250 WHP-you can DEFINITELY get that at the crank, but with an auto trans your going to need a LOT. id count on around 220 whp with all these mods.

Comment

What car,what trans? That sounds very close to my build (listed in my sig.). I built my engine to be a hi-performance DD. I don't think that I would run anymore than 11.5:1 cr because you will have to put pump gas in it regularly. I run Shell 93 octane and that seems to work well. The only thing that I may have done differently would to have put the 1280 grind cam in it for a little more top end hp but I built it for torque with the 1161 grind cam and I definitely am not disappointed. It pulls like a MF from idle to 6500 rpm where the rev limiter kicks in and I still don't have it fully tuned yet. I truely believe that it is way more than 225 fwhp but it will be a couple of months before I find out for sure whether it's in my car or the wife's. Anyway, I love it as it is and good luck with your build.

Comment

Working...
            X