No announcement yet.

What's a good build for what I've got?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's a good build for what I've got?

Hello to all! New to the forum, but I like what i have seen. I'm hoping you guys can help me out. I'm acquiring an 86 Pontiac 6000 STE this weekend. It has the 2.8L (L44 i believe) V6. I'm guessing it's a Gen 1 engine with H.O. heads? Here's a pic:

Anyway, the car appears to have blown a piston ring, as it was running rough before a top end rebuild by the guy i'm buying it from, now it won't start. I'm looking for a good build for a 60 degree V6, but here's the thing, I want to be able to install this engine with relatively stock wiring (i.e. i'm hoping to not do a bunch of wiring, i've got that to worry about with my other project, an 86 Celebrity Eurosport with an L27 3800 going in). SO, what's a good build on a 60 degree using a Gen 1 or 2? Turbos are great, but they are $$$, so i'd like to know a good build without on. I'm wanting this car to be streetable, run on 89 octane, and put down maybe 170hp @ crank (my 3800 Celeb will be near that, a little higher). Is that possible with these engines? I'm totally unfamilar with them.

If any parts are useable from the L44, that's great! Anywhere i can save money is helpful. Thanks for the help guys! Here's a pic of the car as well:

that's the first time i see a intake like that on a 2.8!! fuel injected iron heads fwr ? i thought only the fiero got that !
    i think your best bet will be to use the gen 1 or 2 block go 3.1 for a little displacement. and get 3400 heads and intakes. thats the best gains i think. but the only problem is that you have to D.I.S could get involving.(b.t.w. i never did this just saying what i read over and over)
    01 olds shilluette 3400/4T65-E stock for now

Comment

I figured a 3.1L bottom end would help the grunt and get the torque up, top end, i'm not so sure. Am i stuck with going to a DIS setup, or is there a good top end setup using fuel injection and a distributor? Main reason is i'm trying to avoid what i believe would be a wiring mess trying to switch over from the distributor to a DIS (my car has the digital gagues, so that would all have to be worked out as well, i think).

Comment

170hp at the crank while keeping the distributor and iron heads, and not going forced induction is going to be near impossible. Iron heads flow worth a crap, and even with heavy porting, they will still barely outflow stock alum heads. Problem with alum heads is that there is no manifold setup that works with them AND a distributor.
        -Brad-
        89 Mustang : Future 60V6 Power
        sigpic
        Follow the build -> http://www.3x00swap.com/index.php?page=mustang-blog

Comment

thats odd your engine is in reverse... first time i see this... I mean the alternator and the intake.
          Mike 60degree addict.
          Beretta 96 3500 - 14.981@ 93.32
          sigpic
          65MM thorttle body, Crank trigger 97 venture ECM and Dhp powrTuner

Comment

Originally posted by bszopi View Post
            170hp at the crank while keeping the distributor and iron heads, and not going forced induction is going to be near impossible. Iron heads flow worth a crap, and even with heavy porting, they will still barely outflow stock alum heads. Problem with alum heads is that there is no manifold setup that works with them AND a distributor.
            Ok, so distributor is a no go then. Like i said, i know very little about these engines, so i'm learning as i go. I have no problem getting different heads than the iron H.O.'s the car has, i'm just trying to avoid a wiring nightmare with getting a DIS system to work with the 86 STE dash/wiring system.

The question then is, is 170 @ crank possible WITHOUT forced induction and/or crazy unstreetable modification? I appreciate the help guys, just bear with me!

Comment

Could try finding the parts and doing a TGP setup swap?
              Brian Edwards
              '73 Trans-Am
              '79 Suburban
              '90 Beretta INDY
              '90 Turbo Grand Prix
              '04 TSX
              '04 TL

Comment

Anything you do looks to me like it will involve some wiring. I don't see the minimal amount you'd have to do would affect your dash at all. Unless you went nuts about it, and swapped a whole harness and comp. But just swapping in a DIS ain't hard. I ran a GM DIS system on 92 ford probe 2.2.

Did you take those pictures today?

What part of northeast US you in? Looks like Ohio.
                sigpicHow to make High performance Emissions:
                A "true" High flow converter, straight pipe.
                Low/No flow EGR valve, block off plate.
                Carbon canister and purge valve mod, place in large 30 Gallon can, cover, and place curbside, the city will do the rest.
                PCV valve and vent tube, reroute to exhaust to dump where it belongs, on the ground. Or add breathers and let it all free.

Comment

Originally posted by 95SleeperAcheiva View Post
                  Anything you do looks to me like it will involve some wiring. I don't see the minimal amount you'd have to do would affect your dash at all. Unless you went nuts about it, and swapped a whole harness and comp. But just swapping in a DIS ain't hard. I ran a GM DIS system on 92 ford probe 2.2.

Did you take those pictures today?

What part of northeast US you in? Looks like Ohio.
                  I figured on some wiring, but i was trying to avoid the nightmare of wiring like i've got with my 3800 swap into a Celebrity. If DIS goes in easy, then that's great! I don't suppose anyone can give me the basics on how?

Those pictures were taken a few weeks ago, by the previous owner. I actually don't have the car yet, i will be picking it up tomorrow! I'm not in the northeast, i'm in the southeast. Those pictures were taken at the previous owner's home in Georgia, i'm in North Carolina.

Comment

Originally posted by bszopi View Post
                    On the contrary,there has been quite a few cars making over 150whp with iron heads on thirdgen. (w00t, right? lol)

262h cam, 1.6 rockers, headers and a decent port job should get it done, if you plan on tuning it, you can go bigger on the cam for a little more - specially if you can land a Crane 272-2.
                    Links:
                    WOT-Tech.com
                    FaceBook
                    Instagram

Comment

Originally posted by ForcedFirebird View Post
                      On the contrary,there has been quite a few cars making over 150whp with iron heads on thirdgen. (w00t, right? lol)

262h cam, 1.6 rockers, headers and a decent port job should get it done, if you plan on tuning it, you can go bigger on the cam for a little more - specially if you can land a Crane 272-2.
                      I'm with him!
                      sigpicWhen I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.

Comment

Using the iron heads would save me money, which is great if i can make the power i want. This isnt a full on max power i can get project, i just want to make better power than what its got now, but keep it streetable so i could technically daily drive it.

It sounds like the easiest route i've got right now is to rebuild the 2.8 I've got with a 3.1L bottom end with flat top pistons, port the iron heads i already have, port the intake manifold i already have, find some headers, chose a good cam and upgrade the ignition system.

Is there a bigger TB i can swap onto a gen 1 manifold? I know the gen 2's do.

Comment

if your gonna stay with the iron stuff you should look at the truleo intake if it fits under your hood it would be less restrictve.headers are gonna be hard to impossible to find for that car. and pistons with higher than 9.5 compression is also gonna be a hard one.
                          a cam&ignition is gonna be the easyest part of your build LOL.
                          look at ari motors they do alot of iron head stuff also some gen 2 .
                          01 olds shilluette 3400/4T65-E stock for now

Comment

How much you wanting to spend? I got a 3.4 iron head motor that I may be selling. Quick description ,bored,9.8 cr, 6" rods ,1.6 rockers, .475/.497 lift, Trueleo intake w/GN TB, chassis dynoed 150+hp/240+tq at the wheels, gets almost 30mpg hwy w/4t60. Best 1/4 mi time 14.9@90mph

Comment

Nice 6 ballz! I miss mine

Comment

Working...
                              X