where and which parts to buy? (3500)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• where and which parts to buy? (3500)

So, I aquired a fiero with a blown 2.8. I decided that putting in a stock 2.8 would be boring so I am going to do a 3500 swap to it.

I am at the point where I am ready to drop the cradle and pull the engine, and I'd like to go ahead and decide what parts to use, and where to get them, so that hopefully I can put this together next week or so.

I have been told that I can put in a different cam and a set of headers, and tune it and get 275 HP. I already have a 7730 ECM to put in, with software to tune it.

Which cam should I get? I noticed that WOT-Tech has a cam that's $330 but I thought I read I could get a cam regrind for 110 ish (thought I read that on here) if the WOT-Tech one is the way to go that's fine just LMK

Which valve springs? LS6, or the comp ones? are the comp ones really worth the extra $110?

Should I port/polish the heads/intake? Shave the head for extra compression?

Which TB should I use?

What headers should I use? I believe I have heard of people using truleo headers and modifying them for the 3500 but what all does that entail? Are there headers made specifically for the 3500?

Flywheel? I have an 85 SE, and I believe I can't re-use the flywheel. I thought about getting an aluminum one and believe I read that a fidanza flywheel can be had for $200ish. Would this be a good choice? or should I just stick with a stock steel one? (I do plan on running a 4:10 FD if that helps make the decision at all).

Clutch? I'm using the stock fiero 4spd, with a 4:10 FD. I was planning on using a spec stage 3 but read they had some problems on the fiero forum. I don't mind going overkill on the clutch (I've driven a stock 2.8 fiero with a getrag with a spec st 3 and it wasn't too terrible) So with the extra torque and shorter gears with the combo I'm planning on running should I go with a heavier clutch or not? I do plan on racing this and I really don't want to have to replace the clutch anytime soon...

anything else I should do, or buy, while I'm at it?

thanks for any input.

o, and I forgot, will stock injectors handle 275HP?

Comment

No 3500 specific fiero headers that I know of. Just mod the flanges (slot the bolt holes).
      Go with WOT cam.
      Springs the comp is worth it if the cam exceeds the limits of the ls6 ones...
      TB, CNC 65mm billet one or the LX5 3.5L DOHC one like I'm running.

fly wheel on the iron head 2.8 I think is externally ballanced, so yeah you'll need a FWD aluminum headed engine fly wheel. 2.8/3.1. fidanza is light weight, but that means also that the revs will drop fast between shifts as there is less inertia.

You'll need a clutch to handle the power, that is the decider on the clutch "heaviness"

You'll need a 3100/3400 fuel rail to swap over as the 3500 is returnless. Then get whatever injectors that will support the power. Probably 36# would be a good start for 275hp I would guess, maybe less maybe more would work too. But those would be easy to grab from the GTP l67 guys that always are upgrading.

4:10 FD is going to rev like mad on the highway. But if you have a radical cam it will put you right in the power band. Probably won't need to downshift out of 4th ever lol...
      sigpic New 2010 project (click image)
      1994 3100 BERETTA. 200,000+ miles
      16.0 1/4 mile when stock. Now ???
      Original L82 Longblock
      with LA1, LX9, LX5 parts
      Manifold-back 2.5" SS Mandrel Exhaust. Hardware is SS too.

Comment

The stock cam is a hollow tube with pressed on lobes, so I do not recommend getting a regrind done on it. The stock heads are great, and its easier to hurt performance than it is to improve them so I recommend having someone with experience do them, or leave them alone. For TB, 65mm is a good size. Flywheel, fidanza is good and a fiero won't need a heavy flywheel to help get the car moving.
        Ben
        60DegreeV6.com
        WOT-Tech.com

Comment

I remembered reading that you could get an aluminum flywheel for about $200 in a thread a little while back. Is that still possible, and if so where would you get it?

Comment

I am not sure on price anymore. I remember that as well but I don't believe it is still true, maybe a company liquidating stock? Maybe ebay? I wouldn't worry too much about it because the stock FWD flywheel isn't that heavy anyway compared to a lot of flywheels that people upgrade to aluminum on. If you search you may find the exact weights but I think you might save 10 pounds with the Fidanza flywheel. That is a guess.
            Ben
            60DegreeV6.com
            WOT-Tech.com

Comment

Working...
            X