Who wants flat tappet cams?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who wants flat tappet cams?

Looking at getting some custom flat cams made for us Gen 1 and 2 guys, who's in?

Due to the PM's and email interest, I think it would be more appropriate to have a thread about it.

I have the Dynomation5 with all of Comp Cams lobes (including "secret" as well as "race only") and solid stuff loaded into it and have been playing around trying to get something similar to the PowerMax series from Crane.

Right now it looks like they will be about $289 including lifters and have a couple people who are willing to try them. The primary goal at the moment is to get the 3.4/3x00 cams situated since off the shelf iron head grinds are just lame for the aluminum heads, but can also use the sims to find perhaps some better cams for the iron heads even.

Let's talk!
    Links:
    WOT-Tech.com
    FaceBook
    Instagram

I'm in for a 272 grind (or whatever you recommend) for my 3.4/3500 hybrid. Thanks!

Comment

im interested looking for a turbo grind for my ironhead, somewhere around .500 lift on ported and polished heads.
      '86 Grand National

Comment

Not a bad price. How soon would you need for sure interest, how many people, and when should we expect the parts once submitted the orders?
        Lifting my front wheels, one jack at a time.

Comment

I can get them anytime and in any quantity. Judging by the last cam I ordered (wasn't a custom grind, but had to be ground) I would say about 2-3weeks.

I like Ben's idea with charging $30 for the custom cam design refundable with cam purchase, otherwise one could sit in front of the PC for hours designing cams that no one is going to buy
          Links:
          WOT-Tech.com
          FaceBook
          Instagram

Comment

Originally posted by 34blazer View Post
            im interested looking for a turbo grind for my ironhead, somewhere around .500 lift on ported and polished heads.
            ahem....
            '86 Grand National

Comment

Still trying to come up with the best scenario, but I do have one grind, single pattern (same int/exh lobe) that looks pretty good so far. If you don't mind waiting a little longer, I will have the dual pattern complete...

ahem....

Sorry about the delay, I lost all of my work on my laptop when the c: went out

What turbo do you have, specs? Average primary length/size, collector length/size, TB size, and do you have flow numbers for the heads (hopefully with the manifolds attached)?
              Links:
              WOT-Tech.com
              FaceBook
              Instagram

Comment

John: Could you run the comp cam grind number NX268H using 1.6 rockers on your dynomation5 program. This would be on a 3.4/3500 hybrid. I gave you most of the specs already. I talked to my engine builder and he said I could go 10 more degrees on my duration over my present 214/224 cam using the 3500 heads and 11.5 cr. I also noticed the comp cam grind number NX262H was close to the Crane H272-2.
                Thanks
                Rick

Comment

The NX268H isn't too bad, but the I feel the NX262H lobes would be a much better match to your application. I'm still messing with the lobe timing and will email you a screenshot of the results in a few hours

Torque looks like a table top from ~2000-5500RPM
                  Links:
                  WOT-Tech.com
                  FaceBook
                  Instagram

Comment

Here's the nx268h...

Here's the nx262h...

and here's a torquer cam I cam up with...

figured the others might like to see what this software can do
                    Last edited by ForcedFirebird; 07-02-2009, 11:47 PM.
                    Links:
                    WOT-Tech.com
                    FaceBook
                    Instagram

Comment

Originally posted by ForcedFirebird View Post
                      Still trying to come up with the best scenario, but I do have one grind, single pattern (same int/exh lobe) that looks pretty good so far. If you don't mind waiting a little longer, I will have the dual pattern complete...

Sorry about the delay, I lost all of my work on my laptop when the c: went out

What turbo do you have, specs? Average primary length/size, collector length/size, TB size, and do you have flow numbers for the heads (hopefully with the manifolds attached)?
                      no turbo yet, still in the planning stages. id like to use the PT-54 like the one shown in my avatar, i liked the spool characteristics and flow numbers it put out. however, i dont have flow numbers on the heads as of recently. the heads were flowed before i did my own porting on them and the intake was ~170 cfm@.480 lift and the exhaust was ~150@.480 lift. so i figured a .500 lift cam with split lobe designs will yeild the best numbers for these heads. and thats with 1.6 rockers. i am building my own set of headers and will use a 1.5 primary into a 2.25in collector, the crossover pipe will be 2.25in and the turbo inlet will be very similar to the turbo buick dual stage headers. the hooker design loses too much velocity and yeilds poor spool characteristics. im also going to keep the collector lengths fairly short considering this is a turbo setup and theres going to be lots of back pressure anyway. the primarys wont be equal length either, and will be ~10-12 inches in length, maybe shorter.
                      '86 Grand National

Comment

I'll gladly run some sims for you, but like I mentioned before it's $30 for the simulations that's refundable with a cam purchase. (paypal is sales@60inclusive.com)

I don't think I have a PT-54 in the sim, is there a similar Garrett map I could use?
                        Links:
                        WOT-Tech.com
                        FaceBook
                        Instagram

Comment

the TE-61 is the same, or if you have a TE-44 in there that will work. sure i can shoot you the money for a sim
                          '86 Grand National

Comment

the TE-61 is the same, or if you have a TE-44 in there that will work. sure i can shoot you the money for a sim

Yeah apparently those are actually hybrid turbos. Here's a short list of what I have (including the KKK and Mitsu's)...

RB Racing, Calculator,turbo, horsepower, airflow, turbocharger, supercharger, books, water injection, intercooling, maps, compressor, eaton, kkk, Garrett, IHI, Vortech, Whipple, Opcon, Mitsubishi

There are a few more Garrett combinations in here, but that will give you an idea I can't even find a compressor map at ll for the TE or PT series turbos - that's even scanning through a bunch of Turbo Buick forums etc
                            Links:
                            WOT-Tech.com
                            FaceBook
                            Instagram

Comment

Originally posted by ForcedFirebird View Post
                              Yeah apparently those are actually hybrid turbos. Here's a short list of what I have (including the KKK and Mitsu's)...

RB Racing, Calculator,turbo, horsepower, airflow, turbocharger, supercharger, books, water injection, intercooling, maps, compressor, eaton, kkk, Garrett, IHI, Vortech, Whipple, Opcon, Mitsubishi

There are a few more Garrett combinations in here, but that will give you an idea I can't even find a compressor map at ll for the TE or PT series turbos - that's even scanning through a bunch of Turbo Buick forums etc
                              oops, my bad garrett never released any compressor maps for any of their T series turbos ill look thru the existing maps you provided with the link and that should give an idea of what i need. i think the PT-54 had a crude flow rating of ~850 cfm. id have to find and reference the old poston buick catalogs that i have in storage. if anything, if you had a comp(or comparable) turbo buick grind to start off of as a base that may help. i dont know what existing lobe patterns you have with your software though, and like i said, im in the planning stages right now so its no big rush.
                              *edit* now that i think of it, i think the compressor wheel i have in the PT-54 was the 60-1 or 62-1.
                              Last edited by 34blazer; 06-24-2009, 01:55 PM.
                              '86 Grand National

Comment

Working...
                              X