Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Look at how much lot more meat are on GM's chain. You can't see through the links like you can with the cloyes set.
    1995 Grand Am SE

Comment

I am hoping that TCE releases the single roller soon, however worst cast you might want to look into finding the best stock set and sending it out for cryo treatment.

About $25 from this place http://www.finishedracing.com/cryo_pricing.html
      Last edited by onefastV6; 07-09-2009, 08:42 PM.
      2000 Grand Am GT
      2011 Chevy Impala

"The world's best cam combined with a poor set of heads will produce an engine that's a dog. But bolt on a set of great heads even with a poor cam, and that engine will still make great power." ~John Lingenfelter

Comment

im not sure if you guys remember this but i work for gm...and can get you a better price (shipped) than they can on anything just about.

also i know for a fact that cloyes makes alot of the gm timing chain setups. idk if they make this one

Comment

Cost for SS 2010 Camaro, black, shipped?
          Sorry. On a more serious note, how much can you get them aluminum GM performance division badges (not the stickers) ?
          sigpic New 2010 project (click image)
          1994 3100 BERETTA. 200,000+ miles
          16.0 1/4 mile when stock. Now ???
          Original L82 Longblock
          with LA1, LX9, LX5 parts
          Manifold-back 2.5" SS Mandrel Exhaust. Hardware is SS too.

Comment

Originally posted by gectek View Post
            also i know for a fact that cloyes makes alot of the gm timing chain setups. idk if they make this one
            Maybe they do, but its definitely not of the same quality as the $44 version you get from Advance Auto Parts. A GM cam sprocket weighs 1.19 lbs, the Cloyes one is only .96lbs Just look at the pics, the webbing holes are bigger on the Cloyes set, and also the gear itself is a little thinner in that area too.

The dealer I go to the guy also gives me a pretty good price. It cost me exactly the same as GM Parts Direct shipped, but I'll have the stuff by Monday and not 2 months from now, I've waited 1 month for something to ship from parts direct before.

Originally posted by onefastV6 View Post
            I am hoping that TCE releases the single roller soon, however worst cast you might want to look into finding the best stock set and sending it out for cryo treatment.

E-mail sent to them
            Last edited by 3400-95-Modified; 07-10-2009, 07:55 AM.

Got Lope?
            3500 Build, Comp XFI Cam 218/230 .050 dur .570/.568 lift 113LSA
            Fully Balanced, Ported, 3 Angle Valve Job, 65mm TCE TB, S&S Headers.
            Stage-1 Raybestos/Alto 4t60e-HD, EP LSD, 3.69FDR
            12.61@105 Epping NH Oct 2015 Nitrous 100shot (melted plugs) 13.58@98.8 N/A 3200LBS

Comment

Originally posted by 3400-95-Modified View Post
              Originally posted by onefastV6 View Post
              E-mail sent to them
              Going with a local place instead, I was looking around and found one in Worcester that I can deliver the parts to, making my turnaround time much quicker. Also this place responded to my e-mail in under an hour, I have still to hear back from Finished Racing about turn around time.

Got Lope?
              12.61@105 Epping NH Oct 2015 Nitrous 100shot (melted plugs) 13.58@98.8 N/A 3200LBS

Comment

Going with a local place instead, I was looking around and found one in Worcester that I can deliver the parts to, making my turnaround time much quicker. Also this place responded to my e-mail in under an hour, I have still to hear back from Finished Racing about turn around time.

cool, hopefully that will help extend the life of the chain.
                2000 Grand Am GT
                2011 Chevy Impala

"The world's best cam combined with a poor set of heads will produce an engine that's a dog. But bolt on a set of great heads even with a poor cam, and that engine will still make great power." ~John Lingenfelter

Comment

man after all this you shouldnt have to tear into anytime soon hopefully
                  94 BerrettaZ26 3400,5 spd, aluminum flywheel, stg3+ spec clutch, poly mounts everywhere, strut and strut to rad braces, s&s headers, euro mirrors, and taillights, E36 headlights, blk widow spoiler, GTU rimz, intrax, KYB, OBD2 swap rear disk swap with ss lines and ss clutch line, addco rear bar

07 Chrysler 300 Base, with C frt bumper blk halo headlights and foglights. Coming soon tinted taillights and 22". The Family ride

Comment

Originally posted by IsaacHayes View Post
                    Cost for SS 2010 Camaro, black, shipped?
                    Sorry. On a more serious note, how much can you get them aluminum GM performance division badges (not the stickers) ?
                    ill see if i can find them tomorrow....how many?

Maybe they do, but its definitely not of the same quality as the $44 version you get from Advance Auto Parts. A GM cam sprocket weighs 1.19 lbs, the Cloyes one is only .96lbs Just look at the pics, the webbing holes are bigger on the Cloyes set, and also the gear itself is a little thinner in that area too.

The dealer I go to the guy also gives me a pretty good price. It cost me exactly the same as GM Parts Direct shipped, but I'll have the stuff by Monday and not 2 months from now, I've waited 1 month for something to ship from parts direct before.

E-mail sent to them
                    shoot me a pn and ill see what i can do, just to give you some kind of idea of how much we sell. we either beat or meet gmpd and our shipping is a)cheaper b)quicker, and c) i can get you tracking the same day it ships

Comment

I was using the 99 timing set but had to go back to the '04 set when i swapped cranks (long story). When i pull the engine this fall i'm going to slap the 99 set back in.

I'm also running a stock 3400 dampener. The engine seems to run smoother and i didn't notice any loss of power last year when i swapped them.

Once the new UDP's with a dampener are out i'll install one of them and see how it runs.
                      Past Builds;
                      1991 Z24, 3500/5 Spd. 275WHP/259WTQ 13.07@108 MPH
                      1989 Camaro RS, ITB-3500/700R4. 263WHP/263WTQ 13.52@99.2 MPH
                      Current Project;
                      1972 Nova 12.73@105.7 MPH

Comment

DEF no dampner on the balancer can kill a chain very quick. VERY quick. even on HD chains

Comment

Well then I guess its a group thought that no dampener is responsible for death to chains, BUT that doesn't mean I didn't stretch the shit out of this Cloyes one I have on there now with my big cam and springs...

We'll see later this week. I should be getting my parts tomorrow or wed, then dropping them off for a deep freeze over the weekend and getting them back next Monday or Tues, I think I'll have car torn apart that weekend though and put it back together on Friday of next week. I'm busy during the week with the roundy round car.

Got Lope?

Comment

Well then I guess its a group thought that no dampener is responsible for death to chains, BUT that doesn't mean I didn't stretch the shit out of this Cloyes one I have on there now with my big cam and springs...

3400-95-Modified...

Having read many a post and seen how often you contribute to all of our problematic situations, I'm hoping that you won't be offended by input from rookies like myself as a new forum member ...but also as someone with no small amount of experience as a mechanic, too... One who... just like you... is hoping to make a contribution here and there that makes our members in need feel surprise, relief and even a little bit of humor now and then; offered to ease the pressure we can all feel from time to time when faced with either a strange mechanical puzzle...or even a circumstance that we hold our breath over while on the brink of an automotive disaster. Anyone curious about your chops as somebody who is wrapped tight enough to know his mechanics has only to visit this site...and... Stop....Look .....and.... Listen...

So I'm hoping you won't think that additions like mine...which I try to keep as error free as possible, are ever given with any hidden desire to be competitive. I've seen the chains and gears similar to the ones that right now are a parasitic plague on your engine's performance...and I know that you don't have time for any Mickey Mouse while trying to get to the bottom of this problem. So it is with that benign intent and best wishes for your triumph that I offer the below listed link to article that may help all of us to understand that a Harmonic Balancer is not just some massive lump of "steel" hanging off the nose of the crank, trying to "steal" horse power. On the contrary, what is written at the below link is a very informative and interesting explanation on this entire subject. I hope you take this in the spirit it is offered to you:

Bob
                            Last edited by 60dgrzbelow0; 07-14-2009, 01:53 AM.

Comment

Well yeah, I'm well aware of what a dampener does; I've known and learned this after my first two motors.

The history of my builds that most don’t know… I put the FFP UDP on my stock engine in my 1995 Beretta and never had any "issues" that I knew about with it, I think even the factory chain held up to the abuse it did give it, I never kept that motor after I removed it and never inspected the timing setup on it. BUT I went out and took 3400 and did a full rebuild on it, I put the FFP on that, I ran it for 60k miles before I popped the head gaskets at the drag way and pulled it for my new engine I was building, my 3400/3500 hybrid with a Milzy Stage 1 cam. Now that motor when it went in ALSO received the FFP UDP... I ran that for 15k miles before I found and purchased this new 1996 Beretta that was rust free and would become my "Project" car so I could get these built motors out of my DD.

I took the 96 3100 out and put it in my DD 95, freeing up the 3400/3500 hybrid. I started to take this motor apart to upgrade the springs and the cam before putting it in the new 96 car, When I was taking it apart I heard all the discussions between Dave and Ben and a few others on how his FFP UDP has been causing issues on his motor, SO when I took the hybrid apart I paid close attention. My 4k mile 05 chain that was in that engine and run for a measly 15k was stretched badly (no physical damage like the sprocket I have pictured though), I have video of how bad it was, also the Bronze pump drive gear I had was worn badly... That may be its function but after 15k I think it was excessively worn. Also the cam bearings didn't look to happy.... When putting this latest revision back together, I used new cam bearings, stock pump drive gear (since I now had a regrind cam not billet), and a 99 Cloyes chain setup hoping to minimize stretch. Then I put it all together with a stock 04 3400 dampener, NO more UDP on the toy car. I further explored the UDP damages when I took apart my 60k mile 3400 to rebuild it and put it in my 95 DD since the 96 3100 wasn’t faring to well... When I took that engine apart is when I found this destroyed Cloyes chain set, this is when I said that UDP will NEVER touch my motor again, not until they find a way to add in a dampener of some sort.

SO maybe if a few others read this they will realize that my current engine I'm NOT expecting to see a chain/sprocket set this bad... since I have NOT run the UDP on this engine setup ever. BUT if I do take it apart and see the same damages then I'm simply going to say that these Cloyes replacements are just not up to the same standards as an OEM setup. I do know however that the current chain is stretched a little just by feeling the play at the crank, so that is why I already think the chains are not as tough as an OEM setup. We will see. I'm taking the cover off this weekend since that’s when my new set will be getting the deep freeze, and then I can follow assembly the following week.

I appreciate the link to the article, and I will be posting and pinning that info on Beretta.net since there are so many out there that just don't know. And think everything is just fine all the time.

BTW, no offence taken, if you can’t take constructive criticism then you really shouldn’t be on a message board

Got Lope?

Comment

I don't know if this should be pinned somewhere, but here are the P/N's of all the timing components for a 94-99 3x00 motor.

Cam Sprocket 10166350
                                Crank Sprocket 14074400
                                Chain 10166352
                                Dampener 10166353

I'm also sending mine to www.nitrofreeze.com on Wednesday. A whopping $37 will treat the whole timing set, turn around time is "in by Friday out by Tuesday" They do batch jobs over the weekend only for their racing department(to keep it cheap) so turn around can be 1 week to 1 weekend... depending on when you deliver it.

Got Lope?

Comment

Working...
                                X