f-body 3.4, or 3.5 swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• f-body 3.4, or 3.5 swap

I have been collecting what I need to do a 3.4 swap in my Fiero for a while now, and have almost everything but the block its self. A mechanic friend of mine stopped over for a few beers last night, and as we were talking, he suggested using a GM 3.5 pushrod motor. Says he thinks it's the same platform as the 2.8, 3.4 etc, and that everything will bolt on. Since I'm planning on picking up my block, and heads next weekend, this would be my last opportunity to change my plan.
    Now for the benefit of anyone not familiar with how the Fiero swap is usually done, the intake is swapped onto the 3.4, the plug is removed, and a distributor installed, and the stock 2.8 ECM is used. Everyone else who has done this has also swapped the timing cover, water pump, pulleys, etc, but that is not my plan. I am (at least going to try) going to keep the same wp, timing cover, and serpentine setup. Now the question is this, will the 2.8 multiport intake work on the 3.5 block, and is this block provisioned for a distributor, like the the 3.4? Will Fiero headers bolt to these heads, or would/ could I use my 3.4 iron heads? And finally, running through a multi port, using a 2.8 ecm, with Fiero headers, and if necessary, usion 2.8 heads, would the added displacement even be worth it, or would I just be better off using the 3.4. The thing that I personally liked best about this idea, was that it gave me the chance to start with a MUCH newer motor.
    Thanks
    1986 Fiero 2M4 soon to be 2M3.4 Black Sunshine

why is it that every fiero fanatic wants to keep the horrible gen 1 intake?

the 3500 makes IIRC 200hp with nothing done to it. if you could somehow stick the fiero intake onto it, there went probably 40-50HP due to a MASSIVE loss of flow.
    1995 Monte Carlo LS 3100, 4T60E...for now, future plans include driving it until the wheels fall off!
    Latest nAst1 files here!
    Need a wiring diagram for any GM car or truck from 82-06(and 07-08 cars)? PM me!

Comment

I can't speak to the controversy over choosing a 3.4L over the "3.5L"...but regardless( there is no such word as irregardless) of which one you choose... its a real good idea to do this task (among other basic engine housekeeping jobs) to that "Sort-of-New" motor replacing the 2.8L engine. Trust me... You won't regret the time, effort and what little expense there is involved in taking care of this potential problem before the engine swap happens:

Store your photos and videos online with secure storage from Photobucket. Available on iOS, Android and desktop. Securely backup your memories and sign up today!

Also... to "Plug yet another 'PLUG"... The "Plug" you mentioned removing in the back of the 3.4L engine to install a 2.8L distributor is actually an Oil Pump Drive geared to mesh with the camshaft and connected to a hexagonal Oil Pump Drive Shaft to drive the engine Oil Pump and is NOT anything like a regular Freeze Plug. So just a word of caution that it would be a mistake to unbolt the hold-down claw and try and dig it out of the back of the engine...thinking nothing was connected to anything underneath.

Comment

Not for any real love of that intake, in fact, I would prefer a different setup, but in my case, it just makes it very simple to build a decent motor, (which is what I am good at), slap an old intake, and a distributor on it, drill the other side for the starter, and drop it in just like a stock motor, without doing any wireing (which I am horrible at) I just want the car to start when I'm done, and if I have to modify wireing, well, that's gonna be a 50/50 shot, electrical is just not my thing. lol.

Comment

If you choose (or have chosen) a 3.4L Engine for your rebuild and would like to see the entire Tear Down and Rebuild images ...including tons of images showing new basic parts, mild performance parts and hard-to-find part numbers... the directory on this main page shows all the related Albums on my Photobucket is worth looking over:

Store your photos and videos online with secure storage from Photobucket. Available on iOS, Android and desktop. Securely backup your memories and sign up today!
          Last edited by 60dgrzbelow0; 11-21-2009, 07:56 PM.

Comment

those pics are great, thanks. And thanks for the advice on that oil drive. Like I said I haven't pulled the block yet, and in the car, that part is pretty well covered, so I have only seen it in pics, and the way it has been described on the Fiero forums is just as a "plug" so I probably would have just tried to dig it out, unless it's more obvious than that.

Comment

Just use the complete wiring harness and ECM from a donor car, put the 3400 in, and you are off to a good start.
              Links:
              WOT-Tech.com
              FaceBook
              Instagram

Comment

Do you own the F-Body Donor Car? If so...that car is like... How did Ed Harris put it in his last movie (Appaloosa) ?

Oh yeah...

"Everything that Eats Meats... Likes a Dead Buffalo..."

Such is the case with ALL F-Bodies, too...irrespective of their generations, those cars are Gold Mines when parted out.

Comment

Wish I did have the whole car. I know exactly what you mean, I parted out two third-jen's while I was building my '86 TA. Sadly enough my ex old lady now owns that one

Comment

That shows you how to swap/repin a few wires a PCM that will run DIS. Then you can drop the 3500 in along with the external crank trigger, tune, and blow away all those guys runing the 3.4 slow iron head motors..

Merlot (he should be on Fiero.nl too) did the swap to a cammed 3500 with his modified truelo headers and it blew away his 3.4 which he had done a ton to...

Aluminum heads are the way to go...
                    sigpic New 2010 project (click image)
                    1994 3100 BERETTA. 200,000+ miles
                    16.0 1/4 mile when stock. Now ???
                    Original L82 Longblock
                    with LA1, LX9, LX5 parts
                    Manifold-back 2.5" SS Mandrel Exhaust. Hardware is SS too.

Comment

1991 Z24, LX9-3500 V6 swap with a big cam, headers, P&P, TD's. Ran a best of 13.08 @ 105.5 in '08, looking for 12's this year. All motor :-) 275 WHP

'04 3500, stock bottom end, cam, headers and port work.

it would take lots of boost to get that kind of power out of that fiero top end. The little extra work would be well worth it. The gen 3 stuff is lightyears ahead of gen 1.. well maybe 20 years. lol
                      Past Builds;
                      1991 Z24, 3500/5 Spd. 275WHP/259WTQ 13.07@108 MPH
                      1989 Camaro RS, ITB-3500/700R4. 263WHP/263WTQ 13.52@99.2 MPH
                      Current Project;
                      1972 Nova 12.73@105.7 MPH

Comment

Originally posted by Superdave View Post
                        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vCdRKvMlmck

'04 3500, stock bottom end, cam, headers and port work.

it would take lots of boost to get that kind of power out of that fiero top end. The little extra work would be well worth it. The gen 3 stuff is lightyears ahead of gen 1.. well maybe 20 years. lol
                        20 years is a LONG time in the automotive world...
                        1995 Monte Carlo LS 3100, 4T60E...for now, future plans include driving it until the wheels fall off!
                        Latest nAst1 files here!
                        Need a wiring diagram for any GM car or truck from 82-06(and 07-08 cars)? PM me!

Comment

Originally posted by BlackSunshine View Post
                          those pics are great, thanks. And thanks for the advice on that oil drive. Like I said I haven't pulled the block yet, and in the car, that part is pretty well covered, so I have only seen it in pics, and the way it has been described on the Fiero forums is just as a "plug" so I probably would have just tried to dig it out, unless it's more obvious than that.
                          This is what "The Plug" looks like...that is hidden below that small upper "Plug" portion in line with the top back of your engine like the bottom of an Ice Berg inside your engine... (First Image...the rest are of an Oil Pump Priming Tool I designed and built for the 60* V6 Engines...)

Last edited by 60dgrzbelow0; 11-25-2009, 11:11 AM.

Comment

Working...
                          X