New member with top swap & exhaust questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New member with top swap & exhaust questions

Hi everyone! I have been reading for awhile but decided to register today... I have a 96 GP with a 3100 and want to do a top swap with 3400 heads, LIM, and maybe a 3500 UIM. can I use the 3500 UIM without issue or should I go full 3400 top swap instead? I would also like to use the 3500 "header style" exhaust manifolds if possible. I work at a junkyard so parts come somewhat easy. sorry if I sound kinda dumb but Ive never had a 60* apart before (I had a sunfire before this car). Also, are there any companies that make an exhaust for this car or am I gonna have to custom fab one?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Matt

go 3400 heads,intake, with an upper 3500. port the 6 "runners" of the 3500 intake and u have a nice breathing 3100! im up in appleton, and ive got a ported set of 3400 manifolds for diiiirt cheap if youre interested even though i see you work at a yard.
    [SIGPIC]
    12.268@117... 11's to come!
    turbo 3400: 358whp and 365tq at 9 psi
    ASE Master Technician. GM Certified.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ibU1k8UZoo
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GUqJyopd720

Comment

no aftermarket exhaust other then custom availible. you can order alluminized or stainless mandrel bends from summit/Jegs/ect... as well as straight 5-6" straights, i suggest you order the bends, straight, mufflers, cat (if your going to run one) and piece a custom mandrel setup... 2.25" or 2.5" is all the bigger i would go.. You can get a borla catback for the 1995-99 Monte carlo and have it modified to fit your car, you will have to change the hangers and maybe a couple bends back after the Y to the muffler to make it fit. I think mark at O.E.M. makes exhaust for the Lumina Z34's, which should bolt up or close to it. my recomendations:

Cat-Carsound/Magnaflow
      Mufflers-Magnaflow or Borla
      Resonator-Magnaflow
      Tips-Pollish Stainless (your choice of style) (stainless doesn't rust out)

S
      Shane "RedZMonte"
      2004 Corvette Z06 Commemorative Edition -VIRGIN
      1995 Monte Carlo Z34 14.38@101mph, 331hp/355tq
      -Turbonetics T04E Super 60 Turbo, 2.5" Borla Catback, OBDII, 42.5# Injectors
      2004 Subaru WRX STI -Lightly Modded (SOLD)
      1994 Lumina Z34 -VIRGIN (SOLD)
      1992 Lumina Z34-VIRGIN (RIP)
      1992 L67 Lumina Z34 (SOLD)
      1990 Turbo Grand Prix (SOLD)

Comment

thanks for your help so far guys! I am still trying to figure out whether or not I am able to use the 3500 exhaust manifolds or if I need to use the 3400 ones with the crossover pipe. Also, what gasket set should I buy when doing this?

Comment

AND, how much change in compression will I see by doing the top swap?

Comment

Originally posted by MidnightriderZ24 View Post
            go 3400 heads,intake, with an upper 3500. port the 6 "runners" of the 3500 intake and u have a nice breathing 3100! im up in appleton, and ive got a ported set of 3400 manifolds for diiiirt cheap if youre interested even though i see you work at a yard.
            Just outta curiousity... how much for the manifolds? any pics? I can get stock ones where I work really cheap, but obviously not ported ones... Depending on what this whole project is gonna cost me, I might consider it.

Comment

Compression wont really change much. Chambers might be a little bigger/smaller but still under 10:1 and above 9.5:1... So stock compression...

3500 front will probably fit the front, weld a flange to a pipe and route it over the trans like the stock cross over. The rear may or may not fit a W body. But others have used a front on the rear as well, then joined them. 2.5" Exhaust mandrel bent will work fine, I have that on my modified 3100 and it does not kill any low end and will support many mods to come...
              sigpic New 2010 project (click image)
              1994 3100 BERETTA. 200,000+ miles
              16.0 1/4 mile when stock. Now ???
              Original L82 Longblock
              with LA1, LX9, LX5 parts
              Manifold-back 2.5" SS Mandrel Exhaust. Hardware is SS too.

Comment

Working...
              X