compression question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• compression question

so i saw that cometic head gaskets are up for sale now. i read that the stock thickness is .060, which with my current setup with heads yields about a 9.1:1 cr. if i wanted to bump it up, what thickness would yield ~ 10:1 or 10.5:1? are the gaskets more prone to failing with them being that thin? also would head studs be recommended at this point? i have head bolts right now since cr is so low.
    MODS: DS CAI, TCE 65 mm tb, TCE AFPR, TCE LS lifter springs, WOT ported UIM and LIM, 3500 heads, comp cams valve springs locks and retainers, 1393 grind cam, S&S headers, custom 2.5 in catback, flowmaster 80 series , no rez, and to top it all off, an MPR tune. Among misc gauges and appearence things

They are not more prone to failure at a thinner thickness. Head bolts should be fine but the ARP head studs will provide better clamping force. Really not necessary on NA at 10.5:1.

You cannot go thinner on the stock pistons or you will have piston to head contact issues at higher RPM. You need new pistons to hit that compression.
    Ben
    60DegreeV6.com
    WOT-Tech.com

Comment

damn alrite, thanks man
      MODS: DS CAI, TCE 65 mm tb, TCE AFPR, TCE LS lifter springs, WOT ported UIM and LIM, 3500 heads, comp cams valve springs locks and retainers, 1393 grind cam, S&S headers, custom 2.5 in catback, flowmaster 80 series , no rez, and to top it all off, an MPR tune. Among misc gauges and appearence things

Comment

Working...
      X