3.4 MPFI for 2.8TBI and modding possibilities

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3.4 MPFI for 2.8TBI and modding possibilities

i had been researching and setting ,yself up for building a hybrid for my s10. but this coming saturday, im picking up a supposedly good running (cant hear it run due to no key and the VATS. any way to bypass that?)3.4 out of a 94 fireburd. comes with wiring, computer, accessories, cats, everything that is attached to the motor exce[t the trans. 100 bucks. even out of a five speed, so the swap is easier.

im planning on just cleaning it up, maybe a ring and bearing job, baffling the oil pan and puttig a windage tray in it, and putting it in.

ut then i look at my dremel tool and carbide bits, and think about porting the eads, intake, and TB. and if im going to do that, may as well put a bigger cam and mill the heads to bump the compression

anyway, the firebird is setup with obd 1.5. is that tunable? also, will the VATS systm that keeps me from hearing it run cause me to not be able to get it to run wen swapped?

thanks
    Michael

1.5 is not tuneable and a dremel will get you nowhere with porting. you need an air die grinder with some good carbide cutters.

This isn't what's known as a hybrid, you are using all gen1 parts so it's still a gen1 engine. Hybrids use the aluminum heads from the FWD engines (mostly the 3400 V6, and the better 3500 V6).

The good news is that your 3.4 could be an excellent base to go in any number of directions. Give us some more information on what your goals are for the truck and i'm sure we could come up with a combo to help you meet them.
    Past Builds;
    1991 Z24, 3500/5 Spd. 275WHP/259WTQ 13.07@108 MPH
    1989 Camaro RS, ITB-3500/700R4. 263WHP/263WTQ 13.52@99.2 MPH
    Current Project;
    1972 Nova 12.73@105.7 MPH

Comment

as of now, and probably a long time into the forseeable future, the 93-95 f-body 3.4 PCMs are not tuneable. it's possible, but the necessary steps to hack through it and allow access to everything has never been accomplished, or even started for all we know.

VATS can be bypassed for about ~$1 or less using a resistor from radioshack.

EDIT: Daveninja'd...
      1995 Monte Carlo LS 3100, 4T60E...for now, future plans include driving it until the wheels fall off!
      Latest nAst1 files here!
      Need a wiring diagram for any GM car or truck from 82-06(and 07-08 cars)? PM me!

Comment

yes, i know with using all the iron head parts that it will not be a hybrid. i hadf planned from the start to do one, though, using a 3.4 block and 3400 heads and internals. but with this price, im not going that route yet.

why an air grinder? ive done aluminum manifolds and such for small blocks with my dremel and carbide bits and always had good luck.

thanks for the info on the non-tunability of the 1.5 PCM.

plans are that the truck is a track truck/work truck. so low end torque is needed for pulling, as well as some upper end breathing for the back straight when theres no point in shifting. ill settle for a really strong midrange, thouyh.

truck weigs in at 2975 with driver in its current state. 5 speed from a 4cyl s10 for the gearing, 3.42 rear. single exhaust, 2.5 inch. Long tube hedmans. must retain the AC setup, but other smog is optional.

can i get more info on the VATS?

Comment

are you talking about gasket matching or actual porting?

I don't think you'd be able to get a dremel in far enough to do any actual bowl work, and they certainly aren't powerful enough to do anything other than a light sanding. I've used mine for polishing the combustion chambers but that's it.

Upper end breathing will be hard with the iron heads, but the low end torque will be there.
          Past Builds;
          1991 Z24, 3500/5 Spd. 275WHP/259WTQ 13.07@108 MPH
          1989 Camaro RS, ITB-3500/700R4. 263WHP/263WTQ 13.52@99.2 MPH
          Current Project;
          1972 Nova 12.73@105.7 MPH

Comment

^^^^^
            Superdave
            Die Grinder Destroyer

He has experience in this topic
            As of April 2
            3rd Gen Cavy has 3500 Installed!
            ----------------------------
            Engine: 2006 SV6 3500 LX9
            Trans: 2002 Getrag F23 5speed
            Pcm: 2001 Impala La1 3400 with complete Engine Harness.
            Injectors: #36 GTPs
            TB: 65mm TCE
            Maf: 1999 3400 Montana.
            Adjustable TCE Fuel pressure Regulator
            Walbro W1 255 pump from Racetronix.
            Beverages: Ice Cold CANADIAN.

Comment

Working...
            X