2.8 TBI S10 Mods

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2.8 TBI S10 Mods

Ok, just wondering who's got one and what mods have you done to it?. I've got a 1986 Chevy S10 Blazer with the 2.8 TBI V6, 700R4, it's a 4x4 and it's bone stock...absolutely no mods!!. wondering what I can do to this engine to wake it up a bit. What would you recommend?. Any input will be greatly appreciated!. Thanks!. Late.
    I need a bigger engine!

Depends on how far you wanna tear into it to do what. That question is a bit to open.

Willing to do a motor swap?
    Only want to do simple stuff?
    Wanna keep the 2.8 but willing to rebuild from the ground up?
    87 3.4 4x4 blazer
    3 inch body lift, t-bar/shackle lift, 31x10.5s

Comment

First mod on every truck I've ever owned has always been to throw away the clutch fan for an electric.
      A single 15" fan for $20 from a salvage yard and a $15 fan controller kit from autozone is cheap and easy. Will help with mpg and also acceleration.

Comment

Thansk 4 the insight!

Wow roughly a $35 upgrade, in comparison to the flex a lite electric fan designed "specifically" for the S10 Blazer & pickup, which is like $200....that's a BIG difference. I hear that the best fan to get is one from a ford taurus, is that tru?, what year should I look for?, and what engine will it have?, does the transmission matter (whether it has an auto or manual)?. Thanks. Late.
        I need a bigger engine!

Comment

Oh I forgot to mention some things. I'm open to doing an engine swap, thought about adding the GMPP HT 3.4 V6 in place of the 2.8 TBI engine that it currently has. But I wouldn't rule out adding some performance mods to the 2.8 i've got now, I wouldn't mind keeping the 2.8 that's in it now and overhaulin it, but based on my research it seems that the GMPP HT 3.4 is the best option for replacing a tired 2.8 V6. It comes with a performance cam, all I need to do is add all of my components (water pump, pulleys, exhaust, intake, distributor, ignition) from my old 2.8 onto the 3.4 and I can still use my original starter and alternator!. I don't know yet, just looking for some feedback at this current time. Thanks. Late.
          I need a bigger engine!

Comment

You won't notice that much from an electric fan. I have one on mine due to the body lift and trying to get better gas mileage and just wasn't overly impressed. I do like electric fans on the simple fact they open the engine bay up giving more room to work on things but wouldn't suggest it as a performance mod. The under drive pulleys didn't impress me much either.

I would suggest headers, maybe a cam, roller rockers, and the 4.3 TB mod.
            87 3.4 4x4 blazer
            3 inch body lift, t-bar/shackle lift, 31x10.5s

Comment

If you keep the 2.8 add a cam,bore you're intake manifold for the bigger 4.3 tbi,get a free flow exhaust.If you can find a 3.4 cheap rebuilt it and do the same mods.Also you can add the alum heads and intake from a 3400 fwd[do search for details]for some serious hp.

Comment

It's a 2.8,the difference is relative to output.
                Doesn't matter,it's a difference.

Yeah,I use taurus,thunderbird,camaro fans etc..
                Just bring a tape measure,15" will be plenty.

Cam,intake and exhaust changes are the ticket to more power just don't forget to wring out all you can get first with the little stuff.
                More air in,more air out,more efficiently.

Comment

Thanks

Right, more air in, more air out = increased efficiency!!. The engine is an air pump, the more air it can intake and exhale, the more efficient it will be. there aren't any emissions legal camshafts for the 2.8 V6 though, but I'm sure any of the ones out there will pass emissions tests without any problems. Thanks for your input guys, very much appreciated!!. Late.
                  I need a bigger engine!

Comment

No,I meant more air in,more air out,more efficiently.

More air in and out does make it more efficient,but you also need to appropriately tune all the compenents to each other.
                    A bigger TB and Exhaust alone may allow more air in and out,but not necessarily make the engine more efficient due to things like pressure drop and loss of velocity etc..
                    I meant make sure that as the air is going in and going out,it is doing it the most efficient way possible for the powerband you intend to operate in.

Are you sure of the emissions legal cam?
                    Emissions aren't an issue for me,but I had assumed there was something out there.
                    And if you have a good tuner,you should pass emissions easily with a cam.
                    (do you have to tell them you have one?)
                    I just picked up this kit for a turbo grand prix engine i'm building for my fiero.
                    Free Shipping - COMP Cams High Energy Cam and Lifter Kits with qualifying orders of $109. Shop Camshaft Kits at Summit Racing.

Comes with EVERYTHING you need,springs,retainers,keepers,lifters,timing set,seals etc..
                    (If you plan on buying this kit for some reason,they will price match flatlanderracing.com [$275] I got the kit for $286 shipped)
                    Last edited by DefEddie; 02-21-2010, 01:02 PM.

Comment

Yes, I'm 100% sure there are no emissions legal cams, I have only found 1, which summit racing used to list as 50 state legal in their catalog. I called Crane cams to confirm, they said no, none of their cams for the 2.8 V6 are emissions legal, maybe the location did not require an emissions legal compliance was their response. Well of course I don't have to tell them anything, if I overhauled my engine according to the C.A.R.B. resource standards, then I might as well just do nothing!!. But I am confident that the G.M.P.P. HT 3.4 V6 replacement engine will pass emissions without a problem, it seems like this would be my best choice along with adding the TBI from a 4.3 V6, headers, exhaust, an electric fan, ignition upgrade, and some mild mods to the trans, along with using a synthetic oil. I've heard good results from using either Castrol Syntec or Mobil 1 oil.
                      I need a bigger engine!

Comment

I have used a 252, 260 and the Crane 2030 cam an they all pass fine. The readings are no different than stock. Hell with any engine the readings will vary from day to day and get progressively worse as the vehicle ages. So with most old vehicles adding a cam on a new engine will net much better results then an old engine left alone.
                        1993 EXT. CAB, 3.4L V6 TBI, 5spd manual. Sonoma
                        1990 4Door, 3.2L V6 TBI, 5spd manual. 4X4. Trooper
                        Because... I am, CANADIAN

Comment

Thanks for the insight betterthanyou!!. Actually, I think I am more interested in swapping in the GMPP HT 3.4 replacement engine in place of the TBI 2.8 it currently has!!. It's less of a hassle, and all I need to do is swap over all the existing components, which will only take a weekend, in comparison to having to do the mods to the OEM 2.8, which may take like 1 month or so, depending on the machine shop!. Regardless, the current engine is still in good shape, it runs great, has no leaks, and doesn't consume oil, so for the time being it's doing fine!. Thanks. Late.
                          I need a bigger engine!

Comment

one of the things i did was hook an air tube to the intake canister that snaked around the radiator and right against the grill, acting like a ram air system. 160 degree thermostat, removed heat and a/c system, i did the electric fan from a junkyard like one of the other posters said, and underdrive pulleys. ignition coil from msd, thick wires... sucks your in california though, you can't do what i did with the exhaust, i lopped off the cats and egr valve and put true duals with hedman headers and cherry bombs.

also a pretty basic article, goes over the 4.3 throttle body or injector swap.

and my youtube if you want to watch the truck rev with straight headers...
                            i had just finished putting the headers on my truck so i try it out for the first time. no mufflers or anything by the way so its really loud. i have a 1993 ...

AND my cardomain to see exactly how i attached the intake tube, keep in mind i had to use a hacksaw on the canister to make the tube fit snug.

good luck squeezing some horses out of that thing!

Comment

I had the 2.8 with an offy manifold / Holley 390 4 bbl and crane 260 cam,later swapped in a 3.4 crate engine,unless you get a 3.4 dirt cheap it doesn't pay to rebuild it.The 3.4 HT comes with a cam kit installed,forget the spec right now but the engines rated 160 hp.Add the 4.3 tbi and freeflow exhaust for a power bump.Does your 86 have the dual belts? If you've switched to a serpentine don't use the timing cover that comes with the crate engine as the wp on the serpentine is reversed.

Comment

Working...
                              X