3400 intake swap ?'s

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3400 intake swap ?'s

well, i searched for awhile, and should honestly know this answer as i have planned this before, but what is involved in the 3100-3400 intake swap, i remember it being mostly straight forward except i coolant line that i would need to get tapped iirc? anyone help?

What are the years of the intakes you plan on using? And what are the year of heads are to be used? One of the primary items, besides the coolant line, is the rockers. If the heads have stamped rockers, then the lower manifold has to be ground down some so that the end of the rocker doesn't interfere with the intake. If you are using heads with roller rockers, then you don't have to worry about this part.
    -Brad-
    89 Mustang : Future 60V6 Power
    sigpic
    Follow the build -> http://www.3x00swap.com/index.php?page=mustang-blog

Comment

96 3100 and 00 large port 3100 intakes, i belive the 96 has rollers

and the basic question i have is on that coolant line, do i need to tap the LIM, or can i use the press fit somehow? and what do i need to tap it to?

Comment

Ok, so 96 3100 heads, if I read that right. You are correct that 96 should have rollers. I think there MIGHT be 1 model that didn't recieve rollers in 96, but the heads themselves should still have the notches for the pedestals regardless, so it would be as easy as swapping the roller rockers in.

As far as the coolant pipe goes, you can use the press fit one, but it will take some work. People who have done it before have hacked up the old and new pipes, then used hose and clamps to connect the press fit pipe onto the older pipe. You will probably still want to figure out a way to keep the press fit line in the manifold. Stock, there is a bracket that is welded to the pipe, which then gets bolted to the head. If you are going to tap it, the required tap is a 1/2" NPT tap. Be careful when doing it to make sure it is straight (the existing hole is the right size for the tap, so no drilling required), and don't go in too far, as you may not be able to get the tap back out, in which case it becomes a wasted lower manifold.

Another thing that might cause issues is the EGR. 96 should match up to an 00 manifold, IIRC, although you may need the pipe that goes from the exhaust to the intake if the setup is different. You shouldn't need any other adapters.
        -Brad-
        89 Mustang : Future 60V6 Power
        sigpic
        Follow the build -> http://www.3x00swap.com/index.php?page=mustang-blog

Comment

bszopi is right all the rest is bolt on!! and enjoy the OBD@
          Mike 60degree addict.
          Beretta 96 3500 - 14.981@ 93.32
          sigpic
          65MM thorttle body, Crank trigger 97 venture ECM and Dhp powrTuner

Comment

my egr has been gone for awhile so no worries there, so i do need to tap the large coolant opening for the pipe, could be a bit tricky, i dont have the car here right now so im doing this from memory lol. btw it is a 96 monte
            Last edited by 96monte+94euro; 09-02-2010, 12:55 AM.

Comment

Working...
            X