'94 3100 52mm TB swap to 56mm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '94 3100 52mm TB swap to 56mm

ok, so I got a 56mm Tb and was planning on installing it until I read that non-MAF, which mine is, requrire a reprogramming. Is this true? Would I be running lean if I install it?

Welcome to the site, first off.

Secondly, where did you read that? Going from 52mm to 56mm shouldn't require any programming at all, whether MAP or MAF based.
    -Brad-
    89 Mustang : Future 60V6 Power
    sigpic
    Follow the build -> http://www.3x00swap.com/index.php?page=mustang-blog

Comment

I read it over at a gran am site. Here's the link:http://www.gaownersclub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3350

Comment

Wow, that's crazy. I'm mentioned in that thread. Hahaha! Anyway, reading through that thread, I think they are more talking about the entire top end, not just the throttle body. You should be just fine.

Droid via Tapatalk
        -Brad-
        sigpic

Comment

Actually I am in the process of getting the parts together for the top end swap. After reading that I am reconsidering. It just sounds like more hassle than it's worth.

Comment

Seeing as that a 94 is untunable, anything you do isn't going to net you the best results, but it will give you some gains. With that said, if its within your budget and skill set, I would look into a full 3400 swap if I were you. You can usually find a low mileage 3400 for $500 or less. Without tuning, it still won't be optimum, but it is a nice increase in power. I had my 3400 in my old Beretta for 5-6 yrs w/o tuning and I was happy with it.

Droid via Tapatalk
            -Brad-
            sigpic

Comment

I was thinking about this thing and I was curious what would be involved in converting over to MAF?

Comment

You can swap to OBDII or swap to OBD1 , both have been done before. Search.

But I have a 94 3100 with ported 3400 lower, 3500 upper, and 65mm TB and 2.5 mandrel exhaust. True it takes a long time for the computer to adjust to the mods after being disconnected (weeks) but there is power there. You can do the engine upgrades now and then later swap to tune it...
                sigpic New 2010 project (click image)
                1994 3100 BERETTA. 200,000+ miles
                16.0 1/4 mile when stock. Now ???
                Original L82 Longblock
                with LA1, LX9, LX5 parts
                Manifold-back 2.5" SS Mandrel Exhaust. Hardware is SS too.

Comment

Originally posted by IsaacHayes View Post
                  You can swap to OBDII or swap to OBD1 , both have been done before. Search.

But I have a 94 3100 with ported 3400 lower, 3500 upper, and 65mm TB and 2.5 mandrel exhaust. True it takes a long time for the computer to adjust to the mods after being disconnected (weeks) but there is power there. You can do the engine upgrades now and then later swap to tune it...
                  I'm confused. I thought 94 gp had obd1. Also, are you saying if I do a top swap the thing will still be drivable and eventually tune itself in? Thx

Comment

94 and 95 were a transition period for GM between OBD I and OBD II specifications. It's spitefully referred to as "OBD 1.5". But yes, your car will still be very drivable and your computer will compensate to a degree.
                    1995 Grand Am SE

Comment

Do a large port swap but keep your stock injectors. You don't need to convert to anything unless you want to mod beyond that. Tuning won't be a problem, and while not optimal for power, it also isn't going to create a drivability issue either.
                      Ben
                      60DegreeV6.com
                      WOT-Tech.com

Comment

Thanks for the replies. I am going to push forward on the top swap. Will I be able to change the heads with the engine in the car or do I need to pull it?

Comment

You don't need to pull the engine for the heads. Plenty of room.
                          Ben
                          60DegreeV6.com
                          WOT-Tech.com

Comment

Originally posted by SappySE107 View Post
                            You don't need to pull the engine for the heads. Plenty of room.
                            Great. Thanks

Comment

Yeah it will drive just fine. My car just takes several weeks of driving before it adjust and has full power after a battery disconnect, which tells me tuning it would eliminate that and possibly gain me more. The more I drive it after a battery disconnect, the more it adjusts (as best it can) until it feels snappy and powerful all over. Either way it's more power than stock.
                              sigpic New 2010 project (click image)
                              1994 3100 BERETTA. 200,000+ miles
                              16.0 1/4 mile when stock. Now ???
                              Original L82 Longblock
                              with LA1, LX9, LX5 parts
                              Manifold-back 2.5" SS Mandrel Exhaust. Hardware is SS too.

Comment

Working...
                              X