3100 sfi build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3100 sfi build

So about a year ago on black friday i ran upon a 98' olds cuttlass. Since then this car has been my daily driver with hardly any problems, and out of said problems none stopped the car from running. So ive come to the relization that although it may not be the best powerplant i really love the reliability of my 3100 sfi. Now to cut to the chase id like to pull an additional 40bhp out of my engine without having to compromise tourqe to much.

So what i have in mind so far is:
    3400sfi manifold swap
    Larger TB (60mm)
    Cold air intake
    Cherry Bomb glasspack-just a stright muffler swap no cat or resonator removal

So no for the questions i have: What does a 3100 to 3400 manifold swap require? I have heard alot about the swap but have no idea as to any specifics, is it just bolt on? Ive heard about use of a jeep 4.0 (60mm) throttle body on the 3100 intake manifold, can anyone conferm this? Also if said TB does fit is it larger than the stock 3400 TB and are there any modifications needed for fitting?

You'll likely need to swap to the newer heads as well to reach that goal without using a more aggresive cam along with some port and polish work. The job isn't too bad to do if you're used to working on other pushrod motors. The swap requires 1999+ intake manifolds although the 2000 and after are the best ones. If you use the 2000+ set you'll need to use an EGR valve from the similar year range. Electrically it works the same it just mounts differently. You might also have to tap the lower intake manifold's heatercore port with a 1/2" npt tap if your existing one uses the screw-in adapter. An alternator bracket may also need to be discarded as the newer upper manifolds are 6-bolt instead of 12.

I also strongly suggest using fel-pro's MS98003T intake gasket set and a good in-lb torque-wrench. All other gaskets seem to fail quickly and leak coolant into the block if everything doesn't go together perfectly. If you keep the older heads the newer gasket ports won't line up 100% but you will still get a good seal.

I don't know about the jeep throttlebodies but there are bolt-on billet 62-65mm one's at www.wot-tech.com
    1995 Grand Am SE

Comment

Would it be worth my time to remove my cat and resonators? Im aiming to be able to beat a stock 3800, any ideas? I mean i understand how limited i am with this motor but im just wondering if maybe someone out there has any new ideas, other than: header,cams,CAI, and of course the manifold swap. Also are there any picture intensive threads on the swap? not that im scared to just jump right in but id like to have atleast a rough overview of what im taking on.

Hmm after doing a bit of thinking back i also remember talk of an underdrive pully being avalible for the 3100, does anyone have any experence, im simply looking for the quickest easiest ways to push out close to max hp numbers for naturail asperation, without touching the cams, id prefer not to have to swap the heads eather but if thats what it takes to get 200hp i will.
      Last edited by SFK830; 12-08-2010, 01:30 AM.

Comment

ive never seen a 3100 with 200HP without EXTENSIVE work done to it. If you want to start with 200hp go strait with a 3500 and work you way up from there. Cheaper and more EFFICIENT
        Mike 60degree addict.
        Beretta 96 3500 - 14.981@ 93.32
        sigpic
        65MM thorttle body, Crank trigger 97 venture ECM and Dhp powrTuner

Comment

Really not looking to do a swap thanks for the input though. I was thinking about swapping a 5 speed out of a barreta into it though, any thoughts or know constrictions of doing such?

Comment

its very unclear what you want to do. you don't want to do a swap but your want to do a trans swap? a trans swap is harder then a engine swap mainly because your car was never equipped with a manual tranny.

my 3100 4t60-e beretta could do a best of 16.2 in the 1/4mile
            and since you have a cutlass your heavier then me so...

the only advice I can give you is keep it stock and go for a lighter car already equipped with a 5speed ( cavalier-beretta- early grand prix) and do a swap and be a lot faster with Little money spent (a 3500 is 600$ ( with a 1 year warranty !!!!) here and a 3400 is 200$)
            Mike 60degree addict.
            Beretta 96 3500 - 14.981@ 93.32
            sigpic
            65MM thorttle body, Crank trigger 97 venture ECM and Dhp powrTuner

Comment

Basicly i have a nissan 300zx. My cutlass is my daily driver and i personally just prefer a manual over an auto. My goal here is to be able to win or atleast be able to draw in a drag between me and a GPGT, and with .7 litres over me i kno its gonna take a bit to get to that point but id love to be able to brag about a win on a .7 litre disadvantage. Also i have a really low mile 3100, i havnt even replaced my intake seal and so of course like all 3100's it needs done as befor i got it dex cool was beeing run threw it. This being a main reson why id rather mod my 3100 as opposed to doing a swap. Ill look around and see if i can find any chap engines locally but i doubt it.

Comment

3100 sfi intake on a 3500 block then you could brag lol

Its runs!!!>>>Aint No 60* Sound Like Mehttp://youtu.be/YKEmNwa141U

Comment

lol I was actually gonna file the 4 on the 3400 intake manifold into just a 1 so its real sleeper

Comment

Working...
                  X