3500 + Nitrous

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3500 + Nitrous

I have a few questions that I can not seem to find an answer to while searching and browsing around the site.

1 - How prone to puddling is the 3400 and 3500 UIM/LIM's? I'm thinking of starting out with a single fogger wet kit then down the line upgrading to what I want to end up with.

2 - Does anyone have some links or someone on here or anywhere for that matter of doing a higher end nitrous build on a 60*V6? I currently and dropping a 3500 in my car but after I get that in I'm going to be purchasing another motor to tear down to the block and rebuild from there. I am for sure going to be going with forged pistons, a different cam, ported out heads as wells as UIM/LIM. (Will also be headers with a complete custom exhaust behind it) I also want to run a fairly large amount of nitrous. I've run a 250 hp shot on my mustang, so I'm not exactly "green" with the stuff. I am however green with the 60degreeV6 world. I will be running a progressive controller and eventually a direct port setup so I can make sure everything is tuned perfectly as I like it. (I'm a stickler for details) I would like to be able to run a 200 shot. I'm curious if anyone has done this or if I'm going to be limited to around 150. I want the controller so I can control not only the launch, but easing into hitting the motor with another 200 hp.

Please skip the transmission talk - I will take care of that aspect. I'm stricly concerned with the motor. Besides the pistons and other hardware. All important bolts will be replaced with ARP hardware and I want to run a Cometic MLS head gasket to help withstand the addtional cylinder pressure.

Thanks!

in what vehicle this engine is going in?
    Mike 60degree addict.
    Beretta 96 3500 - 14.981@ 93.32
    sigpic
    65MM thorttle body, Crank trigger 97 venture ECM and Dhp powrTuner

Comment

My 99 Grand Am. I am unfortunately stupidly addictted to this contraption even though I've had much better platforms to work with. I think its something about the fact not one person is going to expect it. Once my parts from Milzy get here I should have the first 3500 in and running later this week. Assuming the parts get here Tuesday, I should have it running no later then Thursday. I then plan on redooing the exhaust and slapping on a CAI, then nothing more will be done to that motor other then tuning.

Then the fun begins when I put another 3500 on the stand and upgrade it until I'm happy - then dump it in the GA.

Comment

You are not the only one to complete a grandamn 3500 swap. Two use that much nitrous (200) would be a first in a grandamn tho.
        Lifting my front wheels, one jack at a time.

Comment

Oy... I had a reply for all this but some token expired cuz I took a phone call during typing. So for now I'll leave it at the fact I definitely wasn't implying I'm the first 3500 swap in a GA at all. I'm more interested in talking with or finding information on anyone who has run high levels of nitrous through their 60degree V6! I think this is going to end up being one fun project. Something no one else has. I'm actually kind of hoping there is no one that has sprayed to these levels. It makes it just that much more fun!!!

Comment

I've only sprayed at a 100 shot so far. I would not attempt anything higher with my current bottom end. Maybe after some forged pistons and a set of MLS gaskets I would contemplate it... but not being fully stock.

I use the 3500 upper intake BTW... Not sure on the properties of pooling any everything though.

Got Lope?
            3500 Build, Comp XFI Cam 218/230 .050 dur .570/.568 lift 113LSA
            Fully Balanced, Ported, 3 Angle Valve Job, 65mm TCE TB, S&S Headers.
            Stage-1 Raybestos/Alto 4t60e-HD, EP LSD, 3.69FDR
            12.61@105 Epping NH Oct 2015 Nitrous 100shot (melted plugs) 13.58@98.8 N/A 3200LBS

Comment

100 has been successfully done on a 2.8 mpfi setup, but 150 was showing some issues and 200 was not possible. Kinda gave up when swapping motors was a routine task prior to changing oil. With today's tuning abilities and wide spread of input, I'd give it a shot again if it was financially reasonable.

Goodluck! In for carnage pics!

Comment

How built was that motor?

I'm being told the 3500 stock rods are pretty damn tough and I know that the cranks are forged so their should be no issue there. I do want to upgrade to Forged pistons. The rods I would like to leave stock and upgrade to ARP hardware on the rods as well as mains. I have a hard time believing that the motor wont easily take 150 and 200 with some good tuning. Plus with the fact using the progressive controller I can program the time it takes for it to hit that full 200 its not like it will be a light switch and suddenly the motor is jolted with all this extra cylinder pressure. Honestly I think with a set of forged h beam SBC rods - the motor will take a 250 shot. I'm fairly certain I could gain access to a buddies mill for a few nights and was even thinking of making a girdle for the mains just for a little more added security. And ARP head studs will most definitely be used for a nice even and very strong clamping force on the MLS gaskets.

This motor will hardly be an over night project. I refuse to cut any corners and everything will be done for maximum strength. With todays tuning capabilities I just do not see why this isn't an easily attainable project. The only upgrade that annoys me with the cost is the double roller chain. Still scratching my head why that one is $450!

While I have the block apart I'd like to take the time to really clean up oil passages, probably grind away at the casting marks in the valley to help oil drain... just anything I can do to make this motor as stout and smooth running as possible.

The thing I really like about this project is when the bottles are off and I'm running a regular old tune - it will be like any other semi quick daily driver. Open the bottles, arm the system - and it turns into one mean machine! And again... who is EVER going to expect this car? Even if they see the purge... they will naturally assume its some 50 shot on some idiots car with a stock motor thats on its last legs! lol

Though my job has put a hamper on things with the fact they let me go today. A bunch of people lost their jobs though. I'm not an idiot though.... someone will hire me quickly.

Tomorrow my package finally gets here with all my 3500 swap parts. Car should be running by Friday at the latest. If anyone cares to take a peek at my build, I've included the link below. Maybe that will trigger a few more responses when people realize I'm not some 16 year old kid with a pipe dream. I take my time and am quite meticulous with my projects.

MKEGuy's 1999 GA GT 3500 Build Thread!!!!!

Comment

FYI... white is the worst color to paint a block, it doesn't dissipate heat well at all..

Got Lope?
                  12.61@105 Epping NH Oct 2015 Nitrous 100shot (melted plugs) 13.58@98.8 N/A 3200LBS

Comment

If you put a nitrous profiled cam in to support your stout motor, I'd wager to say your engine on a "dd" tune will be pretty doggish. Just my. 02

The 2.8s started out stock but one did have a cam and some port work... it lasted the longest and had more technical involvement in regards to strip tuning.

Where you located? Texas?

Comment

I full expect deferent tunes being needed. I have some plans for that.

I am located in good old Wisonsin!

As far as the white comment, as true as your statement may be - It has no relevance at these power levels. Willing to bet I will have no cooling issues with my setup!

Comment

Originally posted by 1988GTU View Post
                        If you put a nitrous profiled cam in to support your stout motor, I'd wager to say your engine on a "dd" tune will be pretty doggish. Just my. 02

The 2.8s started out stock but one did have a cam and some port work... it lasted the longest and had more technical involvement in regards to strip tuning.

Where you located? Texas?
                        My cam is supposed to be profiled for nitrous and its not that doggish... granted yes its not the best as a n/a profile cam but it ran 13.9's n/a... Cant complain about that when stock 3400 swaps were getting 15.3's and my first hybrid with a milzy cam got 14.8's

How do you figure that a cooling aspect has no relevance at "these power levels" If you ask me cooling has relevance at any power level, but no I don't expect you to have issues with cooling I'm just stating its not the best color to paint an engine block.

Got Lope?

Comment

Originally posted by 3400-95-Modified View Post
                          My cam is supposed to be profiled for nitrous and its not that doggish... granted yes its not the best as a n/a profile cam but it ran 13.9's n/a... Cant complain about that when stock 3400 swaps were getting 15.3's and my first hybrid with a milzy cam got 14.8's

How do you figure that a cooling aspect has no relevance at "these power levels" If you ask me cooling has relevance at any power level, but no I don't expect you to have issues with cooling I'm just stating its not the best color to paint an engine block.
                          Well Jon, you have a situational combination going on

Comment

I have a who's a what's it going where?

Got Lope?

Comment

Originally posted by 3400-95-Modified View Post
                              I have a who's a what's it going where?
                              You're just not normal, simple as that! haha

Comment

Working...
                              X