Starting my engine build.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Starting my engine build.

I got a free 3.4 shortblock and 4l60 from my tech school, block said to only have about 10 to 20 miles on them. The car was donated new then stripped to pieces. I plan for a 3.4/3400 hybrid motor. Im gonna keep the 3.4 pistons so its gonna be high compression.
    The stuff I plan to use:
    ARP main studs : http://wot-tech.com/shop/gm-60v6/mai...t/prod_91.html
    ARP Rod bolts : http://wot-tech.com/shop/gm-60v6/arp...s/prod_31.html
    ARP head studs : http://wot-tech.com/shop/gm-60v6/arp...t/prod_69.html
    Chevite main bearing: http://wot-tech.com/shop/gm-60v6/tri.../prod_267.html
    Chevite rod bearings : http://wot-tech.com/shop/gm-60v6/tri.../prod_266.html
    272H cam

Now The stuff I need help with, What thickness head gasket should I use?

And also what size pushrods will I need?
    Attached Files
    1988 Firebird
    3.4 60*V6
    9 Bolt Rear, 3.27:1, Disk brakes
    Edelbrock 3790 Cam & Lifters
    COMP Cams Magnum Steel Roller Tip Rocker Arms 1414-12
    COMP Cams High Energy Pushrods 7816-12
    COMP Cams Valve Springs 980-12
    PaceSetter Headers 70-1206

i think you would use a .060 head gasket but the RWD crowd should chime in soon. sounds like a fun build. I've been out of the loop for to long i wish i was streeming with information for ya. i would get a custom cam from ben for your build.

Its runs!!!>>>Aint No 60* Sound Like Mehttp://youtu.be/YKEmNwa141U

Comment

I would suggest you use .060 3400 gaskets if youre gonna be using high compression to keep compressio

As for the pushrods, youre gonna need custom length...
      Originally posted by Mars
      Haha ^ Wrong Wheel Drive.
      S10 Blazer 4.3, turbo LX9 in its future...
      No 60ºV6 at the moment

Comment

12.38:1 is what you will have if you use .060 thick gaskets with stock 3400 heads and 3.4 camaro pistons. 3500 heads would give you 11.56:1. That is something to consider with your build. I would recommend the high performance bearing set for high compression. They cost a ton compared to the tri metal, but I believe they will be worth it in durability. It also doesn't help that it takes 2 sets to make 1 for the 60V6 rods. We have specced a few 3500/3.4 cams and could do one for any application/powerband you are looking for.
        Ben
        60DegreeV6.com
        WOT-Tech.com

Comment

When you get your heads and lifters on and in, take a look at pushrods for a 302 Ford with the roller lifters. Stock they are about 6.350 long, my 3.1 High compression build with a flat tappet cam and lifters used the stock log pushrod in the short pushrod position and a comp cams ford pushrod for a 302 ford in the other position, the 302 comp cams PR was 6.400 long. Larry

Last edited by trotterlg; 06-10-2011, 10:45 PM.

Comment

I concur with the crowd. With CR that high, I would use the .060 HG

Comment

Originally posted by SappySE107 View Post
              12.38:1 is what you will have if you use .060 thick gaskets with stock 3400 heads and 3.4 camaro pistons. 3500 heads would give you 11.56:1. That is something to consider with your build. I would recommend the high performance bearing set for high compression. They cost a ton compared to the tri metal, but I believe they will be worth it in durability. It also doesn't help that it takes 2 sets to make 1 for the 60V6 rods. We have specced a few 3500/3.4 cams and could do one for any application/powerband you are looking for.
              Are the tri-metal bearings not capable of handling high compression, or are the high performance ones just better at handling it?
              Around 11:5 is where I wanted to be, Im just not sure how many 3500's are in the yards. I think anything over 12 won't be to streetable. I was looking into water/meth injection though. I was hoping to keep this motor somewhat drivable if possible.

Using 3.4 pistons and 3400 heads, what can I do to keep the compression in the 11/11.5: 1 range? I know 3400s are all over the junk yards.
              Also piston rings, would these handle the high compression well? http://wot-tech.com/shop/gm-60v6/tot.../prod_299.html
              Last edited by Killert; 06-10-2011, 11:46 PM.
              1988 Firebird
              3.4 60*V6

Comment

The trimetal bearings can handle loads as well as the high priced variety. The higher priced bearings are just better at taking care of any particles that may embed them selves in the bearing material, the trimetal bearings have a thin bearing coating over copper, this does not leave much thickness for particles to sink down in to in the event you get some in the oil. There is also less chance that something can "wipe" off the thin layer. I honestly don't know if they are worth the price they want for them. If you got deep pockets buy then, I would, but I don't have deep pockets so I didn't. The compression pressure is nothing compared to the pressure when the mixture lights off, so the 12 to one won't have any problems with the rings or gaskets, but excess cylinder pressures with any kind of preignition or knocking may cause you some grief. I went with the .040 gaskets on my 3.1 build just to get up past the 12 to ne mark. Good luck, let us know what you end up doing. If you have a Cam with a lot of overlap your effective compression may be a lot lower than the static 12 to 1 you think you have. Larry
                Last edited by trotterlg; 06-11-2011, 01:19 AM.

Comment

use 3400 pistons with the iron head gasket and mill the block and heads to bump compression up.
                  1993 EXT. CAB, 3.4L V6 TBI, 5spd manual. Sonoma
                  1990 4Door, 3.2L V6 TBI, 5spd manual. 4X4. Trooper
                  Because... I am, CANADIAN

Comment

3400 pistons stick out .020 and the 3.4 iron head gasket is .040 thick, leaving you .020" quench. Mill the block and its even worse. So no, don't even consider 3400 pistons with iron head gaskets.
                    Ben
                    60DegreeV6.com
                    WOT-Tech.com

Comment

Clevite H-Series rod bearings were primarily developed for NASCAR racing, but are well suited to other types of competition engines. They're especially good for engines that run at medium-to-high revs. They have hardened-steel backings with thin overlays and a high crush factor, plus a medium level of eccentricity. H-Series bearings have enlarged chamfers at the sides for greater crank-fillet clearance and are made without flash plating for better seating.

P-Series main bearings are the oldest members of the Clevite 77 bearing family and are intended for high-revving engines. To compensate for the high-load factors and distortion in these engines, these bearings have higher eccentricity and a high crush factor. P-Series bearings are built on steel backings with extra-thin overlays to prevent overlay fatigue.

P series are tri metal, H series are the performance bearings I am talking about.
                      Ben
                      60DegreeV6.com
                      WOT-Tech.com

Comment

Lol I obviously wasn't thinking there. Forgot about the positive deck height of the 3400 piston.

But I would still use them but with a milled block and heads but a .060 aluminum head gasket. It will make life so much easier not having to dance around parts selection in order to stave off possible detonation and running problems. A .030" quench will be safe for a 3.4 bore size so you can easily take .010 off the deck.
                        1993 EXT. CAB, 3.4L V6 TBI, 5spd manual. Sonoma
                        1990 4Door, 3.2L V6 TBI, 5spd manual. 4X4. Trooper
                        Because... I am, CANADIAN

Comment

I don't know if I would trust .030 on a motor that will make power to 6k and beyond. Maybe a stock Gen 1 or 2 setup that doesn't do much past 4500 RPM, but gen 3 top end = higher RPM = more rod stretch.
                          Ben
                          60DegreeV6.com
                          WOT-Tech.com

Comment

There is a low mile 3.9 in the junkyard, will the heads or intake be any benefit it take?
                            1988 Firebird
                            3.4 60*V6

Comment

Nope, the 3900 is a different deal for the top end and is not compatible. I have yet to see a 3900 vehicle in the yards.
                              Ben
                              60DegreeV6.com
                              WOT-Tech.com

Comment

Working...
                              X