Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2004 Monte Carlo LS Build (Strictly Performance)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SappySE107 View Post
    Stock lifters are fine. You can put the TCE lifter springs in for an upgrade if you like. It is my recommendation to tear the lifters apart and clean them up when you can anyway.
    doesn't the street cam or street/track cam say yellow lifters I thought on the site? I could be completely wrong, I don't know a single thing when it comes to internals like that
    2004 Monte Carlo LS
    Build Thread
    Youtube Channel
    ^Add and Sub & I'll Return The Favor^

Comment

I believe your thinking of the yellow springs or LS6 springs, not the lifters. Cams with more lift and intensity usually require stiffer springs than stock.
      94' Z24 3.1 5M
      82' T/A 5.0 3A

Comment

Originally posted by hoosierloser View Post
        I believe your thinking of the yellow springs or LS6 springs, not the lifters. Cams with more lift and intensity usually require stiffer springs than stock.
        This is exactly what I was thinking ha thanks!
        2004 Monte Carlo LS
        Build Thread
        Youtube Channel

Comment

how is you "tranny on the way out"

Its runs!!!>>>Aint No 60* Sound Like Mehttp://youtu.be/YKEmNwa141U

Comment

Originally posted by bob442 View Post
            how is you "tranny on the way out"
            it's starting to slip sometimes, it's at 82k miles, which isn't a ton but is a common place for them to start failing from what I've read. When it does go out I'm doing a full rebuild to HD parts and hardened 4th and all that good stuff that I don't know about yet (more research when I get there) just to be safe in case I decide to mod more in the future
            2004 Monte Carlo LS
            Build Thread
            Youtube Channel

Comment

Just got these in.

Magnaflow 2.5" Hi-Flo Stainless Cat.

McCord 2.5" Electric Cutout.

These are both being put into the downpipe, the cutout is more just for a little fun.

The y-pipe for the cutout is made of steel but I can't tell if it is stainless. I would assume not since it is painted or coated. The coating seems to be well done, it goes all the way through the inside of the y-pipe. I would assume I should probably just get one that's 304 stainless instead, just to be safe? Or would something like this be fine if the car isn't going to be driven in the snow and salt.

*Original post updated with these pictures*
              Last edited by trewyn15; 10-05-2011, 01:40 AM.
              2004 Monte Carlo LS
              Build Thread
              Youtube Channel

Comment

These guys are right. GM DIS coils are generic, meaning that every engine from 4-bangers up to V8's uses the same coil.

Also, a hotter spark only helps if your engine is experiencing incomplete fuel burn. It's a common misconception that hotter spark will add power. But all the ignition system does is ignite the fuel/air mixture. If your ignition system is already igniting the fuel/air mixture reliably (i.e. no misfires), then a hotter ignition will yield no benefit.

You mentioned that you're not interested in cam or heads. But those are the two biggest power adders on a N/A engine. If it were me, I'd at least do a mild port job on the heads, to match those custom manifolds.

Anyway, best of luck. Looks like you're going to have a pretty nice engine.

Comment

Originally posted by Blacktree View Post
                  These guys are right. GM DIS coils are generic, meaning that every engine from 4-bangers up to V8's uses the same coil.

Also, a hotter spark only helps if your engine is experiencing incomplete fuel burn. It's a common misconception that hotter spark will add power. But all the ignition system does is ignite the fuel/air mixture. If your ignition system is already igniting the fuel/air mixture reliably (i.e. no misfires), then a hotter ignition will yield no benefit.

You mentioned that you're not interested in cam or heads. But those are the two biggest power adders on a N/A engine. If it were me, I'd at least do a mild port job on the heads, to match those custom manifolds.

Anyway, best of luck. Looks like you're going to have a pretty nice engine.
                  Sounds like I'll just be keeping those coils just in case I have any issues then! haha

Actually looking into a cam doesn't look too bad to install I just don't have the funds to support myself there yet. I was also really looking into heads for a while but shipping costs are high so that's out of my ballpark for now. I may end up doing both of those later on in this build.

How much does a mild cam and heads usually gain HP wise on these 3400's? or hybrids, since I'm doing heads I guess I could do 3500 lower also once I get to that point.
                  2004 Monte Carlo LS
                  Build Thread
                  Youtube Channel

Comment

Still curious about the cutout y-pipe, i'm not sure if it's stainless, it is painted or coated somehow so that it's fully covered and pretty even and looks pretty good. My car won't be around snow or salt, I'm wondering how big of a deal it is to have this part stainless since it will be in my downpipe
                    2004 Monte Carlo LS
                    Build Thread
                    Youtube Channel

Comment

I've decided to just get a new y-pipe for the cutout.

Does anyone have any smaller ideas of what I can do for more power, smaller meaning price ~$100 or around there?
                      2004 Monte Carlo LS
                      Build Thread
                      Youtube Channel

Comment

Okay I've decided to bite the bullet... I'm getting LS6 Springs now, thinking that cam and heads may happen. The only problem I have is the price of the ported heads so I'm not sure what I'll do there.

I do have a question though, what can I look at for power gains with camming the car? I want to get the biggest cam possible but keep in mind my car will be my DD. I am looking at getting either the street performance or street/strip cam from wot-tech. Any opinions would be great!
                        2004 Monte Carlo LS
                        Build Thread
                        Youtube Channel

Comment

Nice i have the same cat and cutout.My cutout isn't electric though.Maybe you should spend the 30buxs for the cam selector from Wot?I didn't want to spend the money on the heads either.But i was really happy with mine.I asked a shop what it would cost to do what ben did and it was more.So ben is more then fair in price

Comment

Originally posted by robert 1980 View Post
                            Nice i have the same cat and cutout.My cutout isn't electric though.Maybe you should spend the 30buxs for the cam selector from Wot?I didn't want to spend the money on the heads either.But i was really happy with mine.I asked a shop what it would cost to do what ben did and it was more.So ben is more then fair in price
                            he's not fair to us poor college kids, haha just kidding! that machine shop probably wouldn't have done as good of a job as ben would also

I will look for heads and probably use the cam selector when i'm completely sure that I'll do cams
                            2004 Monte Carlo LS
                            Build Thread
                            Youtube Channel

Comment

Originally posted by trewyn15 View Post
                              I've decided to just get a new y-pipe for the cutout.

Does anyone have any smaller ideas of what I can do for more power, smaller meaning price ~$100 or around there?
                              shead some weight in the car E.G spare tire+jack, rear seats, speakers radio, door panels a tune up might give something, fuel filter atleast

Its runs!!!>>>Aint No 60* Sound Like Mehttp://youtu.be/YKEmNwa141U

Comment

Originally posted by bob442 View Post
                                shead some weight in the car E.G spare tire+jack, rear seats, speakers radio, door panels a tune up might give something, fuel filter atleast
                                i'm actually adding weight with a small stereo build lol i'm keeping it under 50 pounds at least tho. Fuel filter usually holds a lot from the car? I may do that
                                2004 Monte Carlo LS
                                Build Thread
                                Youtube Channel

Comment

Working...
                                X