Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2004 Monte Carlo LS Build (Strictly Performance)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2004 Monte Carlo LS Build (Strictly Performance)

With my Monte, I'm going for an all N/A build, it's just a mild build, not getting into heads or cam, yet at least. And try to go without headers first.

Where I started:

What It currently looks like:

Current Performance Mods:

Milzy Tuned PCM, Wizaired CAI (Soon to be painted black):

U-Bend Delete, 18" Resonator into Dual Exhaust:

Poly Motor Mounts to reduce engine rock:

What I currently have waiting to be installed:

TCE 65mm TB:

L67 Coils:

Milzy Motorsports Ported Intake Manifolds/Powder coated Grey:

Magnaflow 2.5" Hi-Flo Stainless Cat.

McCord 2.5" Electric Cutout.

What I'm looking to do:

✓I am currently looking to make a custom downpipe with a McCord Electric Cutout followed by a Highflow Magnaflow cat. (To hold off until I can afford headers)

2.5" Pipe from the Cat all the way back to the Y-Pipe with a 16" Resonator.

I'm also looking to make some 3500 Exhaust Manifolds work to take the full benefit of the downpipe and intake manifolds.

With the L67 coils I'm looking to get red Taylor Wires and new spark plugs (AC Delco Stockers).

Poly Dogbone Mounts to stiffen up the engine some more.

180* T-Stat.

Overkill Tuned PCM or Potentially a Dyno Tune Locally.

Does anyone have any ideas what to add to this? Also any ideas I can do for a little more power?
    Last edited by trewyn15; 05-01-2012, 04:32 PM.
    2004 Monte Carlo LS
    Build Thread
    Youtube Channel
    ^Add and Sub & I'll Return The Favor^

L67 coils are the same as stock 3400 coils.
    Ben
    60DegreeV6.com
    WOT-Tech.com

Comment

Originally posted by SappySE107 View Post
      L67 coils are the same as stock 3400 coils.
      from what i heard at Clubgp and Montecarloforum they burn a little hotter and give a little performance, nothing to noticeable, that could be completely wrong tho, are the L32 coils the ones that do that instead or are they all the same still?
      2004 Monte Carlo LS
      Build Thread
      Youtube Channel

Comment

All GM coils are the exact same, no matter what engine they came off of.
        -Brad-
        89 Mustang : Future 60V6 Power
        sigpic
        Follow the build -> http://www.3x00swap.com/index.php?page=mustang-blog

Comment

Stock 3400 coils are enough for 20+ psi boost. You have to gap the plugs accordingly but 40k volts is a lot. I have used Accel coils which are 44k, and they did nothing. I have used the MSD DIS-4 and it did nothing at the track. Better MPG, but at the track, back to back to back it showed no difference in or bypassed. Granted I didn't know how to tune in 99, and sold it before 2001 when I was tuning. It is still an apples to apples comparison with the ignition system. Hell, we used to have an article on this.
          Ben
          60DegreeV6.com
          WOT-Tech.com

Comment

Originally posted by bszopi View Post
            All GM coils are the exact same, no matter what engine they came off of.
            I did not know this, I'll probably sell them then

Originally posted by The_Maniac View Post
            The 3400 is more popular I think with the Grand Am (N-Body) folks, you may get more info for performance modding it from them. I think I lot of them basically put on a better exhaust and add a cold air intake. Depending on years of the 3100/3400, it think the the throttle body sizes vary (but to change the T-Body, I think you have to swap the upper intake as well to match). Don't quote me on these, as I have not vest much time on the ideas of modding the 3400.

One thing you can do is swap the coils for those from a late model L67 3800 SuperCharged (these are the ones that have a "blue plug" on the bottom). The 3100/3400/3800 N/A share the same coils (I know from '94 to current '05 and probably a larger range then that). The 3800 SC L67 coils are different, produce a slightly hotter spark. Their is little gain (it's just a slight improvement in throttle response). I am running a set of these coils on my '04 Monte 3800 N/A and my '94 Grand Am with the 3100. I noticed a slight (not huge) change. My opinion, if you swap the coils, total investment should not exceed $20-$30 (again, the gain is very small, so it's not worth paying a huge amount for it). I am running them with stock wires and stock plugs (and as an FYI if I recall, the wires on a 3800 SC and 3800 NA are the same type of wire, just some of the lengths might be different).

And somebody always chimes in to tell me I am wrong and the coils are the same, so before that happens, check the part numbers before telling me I'm wrong, they are different coils.

this is right from monte carlo forum
            Last edited by trewyn15; 09-30-2011, 04:20 PM.
            2004 Monte Carlo LS
            Build Thread
            Youtube Channel

Comment

You don't have to swap the upper intake to match the 56mm TB.

MSD coils are hotter and didn't work better than stock on the 3.4 DOHC I own. If hotter coils were awesome, wouldn't I be trying to sell them on WOT-Tech? maybe i should...
              Ben
              60DegreeV6.com
              WOT-Tech.com

Comment

You don't have to swap the upper intake to match the 56mm TB.

MSD coils are hotter and didn't work better than stock on the 3.4 DOHC I own. If hotter coils were awesome, wouldn't I be trying to sell them on WOT-Tech? maybe i should...
                it's the 65mm, i thought you had to have it opened to match the 65mm?

and maybe you should? lol jk, since I have them I'll throw them on, if they do nothing I'll sell them, from even what he said, it doesn't seem like it'd be much of a gain, just thought i'd try it since i'm doing wires and plugs too
                2004 Monte Carlo LS
                Build Thread
                Youtube Channel

Comment

It was in response to him saying a 3100 can't use a 56mm TB because the size isn't big enough. Your 65mm requires the upper to match but yours already does now.
                  Ben
                  60DegreeV6.com
                  WOT-Tech.com

Comment

It was in response to him saying a 3100 can't use a 56mm TB because the size isn't big enough. Your 65mm requires the upper to match but yours already does now.
                    even if it's not the best port ;P
                    2004 Monte Carlo LS
                    Build Thread
                    Youtube Channel

Comment

Who knows, that company has a new person porting for them every so often so it is impossible to say with any certainty.
                      Ben
                      60DegreeV6.com
                      WOT-Tech.com

Comment

Who knows, that company has a new person porting for them every so often so it is impossible to say with any certainty.
                        who knows, if it doesn't work out well I know where I'm going next
                        2004 Monte Carlo LS
                        Build Thread
                        Youtube Channel

Comment

Originally posted by trewyn15 View Post
                          What I'm looking to do:

I currently looking to make a custom downpipe with a McCord Electric Cutout followed by a Highflow Magnaflow cat. (To hold off until I can afford headers)

2.5" Pipe from the Cat all the way back to the Y-Pipe with a 16" Resonator.

I'm also looking to make some 3500 Exhaust Manifolds work to take the full benefit of the downpipe.

With the L67 coils I'm looking to get red Taylor Wires and new spark plugs (AC Delco Stockers).

Poly Dogbone Mounts to stiffen up the engine some more.

180* T-Stat.

Overkill Tuned PCM or Potentially a Dyno Tune Locally.

Does anyone have any ideas what to add to this? Also any ideas I can do for a little more power?
                          A 180 t stat wont due much other than loose some heat for you in the winter if you drive it. as far as doing the exhaust, you wont get much of a gain on a stock motor. The most restrictive part of the exhaust is the U bend which is a quick fix, and the mufflers. When you get to headers the flex pipe is only 1 7/8 on the down pipe which is then restrictive. when i went to a straigh through exhaust it only just got louder, and sorta made the car feel 'heavy' after a while.
                          If your going to do the LIM you maise well put in a cam. pulling the motor only takes 45 minutes in a W body. 2 hours if you dont know what your doing. You dont have to go crazy on the cam choice to get noticble improvments, but this is my opinion, when you do things like that you get tempted to go over board.
                          If you want some really easy and cheap, and reliable power, swap in a 4t65E-HD Diff, you can get it off of any W body cars at wreckers with the RPO code MN7, you will want the diff, diff cover, Passenger side axel, and main drive shaft, to pull it out you need to pop both ball joints and remove both 34mm axel nuts, or cut the boots and buy a new axel for 78$, which is how much they are. Doing this will chainge your final drive from 305:1 to 3.29:1 i believe.
                          Last edited by bob442; 10-01-2011, 12:40 AM.

Its runs!!!>>>Aint No 60* Sound Like Mehttp://youtu.be/YKEmNwa141U

Comment

Originally posted by bob442 View Post
                            A 180 t stat wont due much other than loose some heat for you in the winter if you drive it. as far as doing the exhaust, you wont get much of a gain on a stock motor. The most restrictive part of the exhaust is the U bend which is a quick fix, and the mufflers. When you get to headers the flex pipe is only 1 7/8 on the down pipe which is then restrictive. when i went to a straigh through exhaust it only just got louder, and sorta made the car feel 'heavy' after a while.
                            If your going to do the LIM you maise well put in a cam. pulling the motor only takes 45 minutes in a W body. 2 hours if you dont know what your doing. You dont have to go crazy on the cam choice to get noticble improvments, but this is my opinion, when you do things like that you get tempted to go over board.
                            If you want some really easy and cheap, and reliable power, swap in a 4t65E-HD Diff, you can get it off of any W body cars at wreckers with the RPO code MN7, you will want the diff, diff cover, Passenger side axel, and main drive shaft, to pull it out you need to pop both ball joints and remove both 34mm axel nuts, or cut the boots and buy a new axel for 78$, which is how much they are. Doing this will chainge your final drive from 305:1 to 3.29:1 i believe.
                            I'm honestly iffy on doing the LIM haha I've never torn into an engine even that far. My tranny is on it's way out so I'll upgrade that when it's completely shot I suppose, the cam is a little out of the picture just because of the price for now, with lifters and rods and everything, it's going to shoot it way out of my ballpark for now
                            2004 Monte Carlo LS
                            Build Thread
                            Youtube Channel

Comment

Stock lifters are fine. You can put the TCE lifter springs in for an upgrade if you like. It is my recommendation to tear the lifters apart and clean them up when you can anyway.
                              Ben
                              60DegreeV6.com
                              WOT-Tech.com

Comment

Working...
                              X