No announcement yet.

262's 85 Fiero SE LX9 F23 swap thread lots of pics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• the car is going to be obd2, which uses both maf and map. I won't be tuning it, and I don't have someone lined up to do it yet either, so this way, the tuner will decide. (both sensors together were under $100)
    "I am not what you so glibly call to be a civilized man. I have broken with society for reasons which I alone am able to appreciate. I am therefore not subject to it's stupid laws, and I ask you to never allude to them in my presence again."

Comment

• Originally posted by ericjon262 View Post
      the car is going to be obd2, which uses both maf and map. I won't be tuning it, and I don't have someone lined up to do it yet either, so this way, the tuner will decide. (both sensors together were under $100)
      note: On assumption the 3500 PCM works the same as my 3100-97 PCM

You can boost with a MAF and 1 bar MAP. The MAF determines the mass flow, not the MAP.

BUT, if the MAF fails, you want a MAP that can then be used to measure mass flow. Your PCM has two ways to measure mass air flow, using MAF or using MAP (speed density).

MAF for low end accuracy, MAP for high end accuracy. Using Speed Density allows easier placement of the BOV, as the ejected airmass hasn't been measured yet.

As far as you have come with this build, I feel confident you can figure out how to tune w/o destroying the engine. This way you can have a tune for each fuel season( summer/winter blends), or have a tune for high boost track time, then flash in the street tune with a little bit lower boost.

You can do soooo much with DIY tuning.

If it was me, I would dyno tune it then tweek the tune myself from road logs.
      1996 Grand Prix | 3100v6 L82 | T04E-50 Turbo | Getrag 282 w/ EP LSD | SPEC-3 Clutch

Comment

• Yes but you hit a road block when it comes to timing... It would be nice to be able to get a 3x00 PCM to register boost... I'm looking at a 97 3800 PCM and I see the differences in the map configuration, but I'm not sure if that's the only change or if there is something else I can't see.

Got Lope?
        3500 Build, Comp XFI Cam 218/230 .050 dur .570/.568 lift 113LSA
        Fully Balanced, Ported, 3 Angle Valve Job, 65mm TCE TB, S&S Headers.
        Stage-1 Raybestos/Alto 4t60e-HD, EP LSD, 3.69FDR
        12.61@105 Epping NH Oct 2015 Nitrous 100shot (melted plugs) 13.58@98.8 N/A 3200LBS

Comment

• Originally posted by 3400-95-Modified View Post
          Yes but you hit a road block when it comes to timing... It would be nice to be able to get a 3x00 PCM to register boost... I'm looking at a 97 3800 PCM and I see the differences in the map configuration, but I'm not sure if that's the only change or if there is something else I can't see.

The PCM I'm using was used in 3800's and 3x00's.
          "I am not what you so glibly call to be a civilized man. I have broken with society for reasons which I alone am able to appreciate. I am therefore not subject to it's stupid laws, and I ask you to never allude to them in my presence again."

Comment

• 97 PCM ending in 058?

If so I would like to know how to "modify" a bin to read a 2 bar map. I know HPTuners offers 2bar OS upgrades for some but I'm not sure what they change other than the Map sensor scaling and offset values. I found those values in a 97 PCM and was thinking if I got a 2bar map I might be able to just change those and be good to go, but I'm just not sure.

Got Lope?
            12.61@105 Epping NH Oct 2015 Nitrous 100shot (melted plugs) 13.58@98.8 N/A 3200LBS

Comment

• I forget the P/n pf the pcm I'm using, but it came out of a 3400 pontiac montana, I believe it was a '98 IIRC.

Comment

• Originally posted by 3400-95-Modified View Post
                Yes but you hit a road block when it comes to timing... It would be nice to be able to get a 3x00 PCM to register boost... I'm looking at a 97 3800 PCM and I see the differences in the map configuration, but I'm not sure if that's the only change or if there is something else I can't see.
                Use tiny tuner and copy map sensor data from a supercharged 3800 file.

It worked for me, the PCM was using the 2 bar map like it should. I was able to log boost and still had the MAF up.

You also need to change the file table "Use Default Barometric" to 1=true. I think that is the name of the table, but I do know it prevents the Barometric Relearn Function from skewing the fuel.

The PCM will see the MAP value before cranking and use that as the barometric reading. Anything registered higher will become the new barometric reading. Which includes boost readings.

Immediately after boost the car will run funky due to bad barometric data. I only had that problem with a 1 bar map and Maf. Because the 1 bar map will peak at 105 kPa. If your atmosphere is 98 kPa, that is a big difference and is worth at least 0.5 AFR offset.
                1996 Grand Prix | 3100v6 L82 | T04E-50 Turbo | Getrag 282 w/ EP LSD | SPEC-3 Clutch

Comment

• one of the local JY's has another LX9 for sale for 300, I'm going to try to pick it up tomorrow, and it will be the one for the build.

Comment

• Thanks for the info!

Now to find the PN for a 2bar map that fits a 3500 intake.

Originally posted by TGP37 View Post
                    Use tiny tuner and copy map sensor data from a supercharged 3800 file.

It worked for me, the PCM was using the 2 bar map like it should. I was able to log boost and still had the MAF up.

You also need to change the file table "Use Default Barometric" to 1=true. I think that is the name of the table, but I do know it prevents the Barometric Relearn Function from skewing the fuel.

The PCM will see the MAP value before cranking and use that as the barometric reading. Anything registered higher will become the new barometric reading. Which includes boost readings.

Immediately after boost the car will run funky due to bad barometric data. I only had that problem with a 1 bar map and Maf. Because the 1 bar map will peak at 105 kPa. If your atmosphere is 98 kPa, that is a big difference and is worth at least 0.5 AFR offset.
                    DAMMIT... Always use default Baro is not an option for me in tiny tuner...

Its not mapped in a 97 file.

NEVERMIND! Updated the DB and it's mapped...

Damn this opens up a new window on a car I'm tuning for someone...
                    Last edited by 3400-95-Modified; 10-23-2012, 09:39 AM.

Got Lope?

Comment

• I think the Solstice turbo uses a different map sensor. Might be worth a look.

LZ engine or LX engine?

Comment

• I think I need the one on the right... not sure though, got the pic from a LS1 forum... Looks the same as the 3500 engine.

Verified on HPTuners that PN on the right is a 2 bar map that will fit a LX9

#12615136 also supersedes the number above, I guess its an old pic.
                        Last edited by 3400-95-Modified; 10-23-2012, 03:43 PM. Reason: verification

Got Lope?

Comment

• Originally posted by NateD4 View Post
                          I think the Solstice turbo uses a different map sensor. Might be worth a look.

LZ engine or LX engine?
                          mine is an LX9. my map sensor is off of a duramax. I'll get the P/n later, along with my PCM p/n.

Comment

• A duramax sensor should work if the software can read the output. Duramax turbos produce more then 18 PSI of boost...

Comment

• Don't the duramax's use a 3.5 bar?
                              '89 Firebird, 3500 Turbo, T56, 9-bolt/4.11
                              '86 Fiero, 3500, 4-speed

Comment

• I thought it was a 3 bar. the P/n is12592525

I haven't had a chance to get the PCM P/n yet, but I did pick up another 06 G6 motor today!

Comment

Working...
                                X