Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eric I agree But modified is another story
    As far as 4 and 6 instead 0f 5/6 only gasket will tell and torque specs
    Last edited by unchained01; 03-26-2013, 01:12 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Purple pit View Post
      My biggest problem is grasping what all goes on in the intake. I know what happens in there, but I just don't know it all interacts. Do accustic waves do anything to pressure waves?
      An acoustic wave is a propagation of a pressure difference through a medium. A longitudinal wave, transverse waves are like ocean waves.

To answer your question, yes. Sound is a repeating pressure wave. For fun, I ask people if space is a vacuum, then how does light retain frequency as a wave through space from the Sun to Earth? There MUST be a medium to carry that wave form to us. So what is that medium in space?

Longitudinal
      Lwave-v8.gif

Transverse
      Twave.gif

I love science, physics, engineering, etc. Can't get enough of it.
      Last edited by TGP37; 03-26-2013, 08:09 AM.
      1996 Grand Prix | 3100v6 L82 | T04E-50 Turbo | Getrag 282 w/ EP LSD | SPEC-3 Clutch

Comment

• Originally posted by ericjon262 View Post
        the tune is very important, I never said it wasn't, and cast pistons can only take so much, esp when you start turning up the wick, and really spinning it...
        Truth is, hypereutectic pistons, which are the stock pistons, can handle heat better then forged pistons and don't expand as much and are lighter weight. Forged are great at taking abuse and do not shatter like glass as the hypers do. If you got the money, forged are nice but I agree with the bandaid comment.

Only reason hypers got a bad rap for boost is so many people break them cause the tune is out and blame it on the pistons being weak. You can run a 1 bar turbo on hypers, I have.

If I had the money and time, I would have done forged. But I decided to take the hyper route.
        1996 Grand Prix | 3100v6 L82 | T04E-50 Turbo | Getrag 282 w/ EP LSD | SPEC-3 Clutch

Comment

• my buddy ran 12 lbs and a 100 shot on his fiero for over a year. Pistons were fine. It was over 400 crank hp. Using hyper pistons

Comment

• Originally posted by TGP37 View Post
            An acoustic wave is a propagation of a pressure difference through a medium. A longitudinal wave, transverse waves are like ocean waves.

To answer your question, yes. Sound is a repeating pressure wave. For fun, I ask people if space is a vacuum, then how does light retain frequency as a wave through space from the Sun to Earth? There MUST be a medium to carry that wave form to us. So what is that medium in space?

Longitudinal
            [ATTACH=CONFIG]7429[/ATTACH]

Transverse
            [ATTACH=CONFIG]7430[/ATTACH]

I love science, physics, engineering, etc. Can't get enough of it.
            Dark matter is the answer.
            95 Beretta 3100 with 3400 intakes and TCE TB
            High flow cat and a Magnaflow muffler
            Grand Prix trans with 3.33FDR

Comment

• Originally posted by TGP37 View Post

This question would assume that light can not pass through a vacuum. It seems it can through at least a vacuum of some amount. I have witnessed clear vessels with a vacuum applied to them and could see right through them and what is on the other side. I would say that the vacuum was close 20 in/Hg, if not more. This may still have a higher pressure than space, but is known as a vacuum as we know it on the surface of the earth.

We could get really deep into this, just wanted to make this small comment.

Back to the original discussion.

Comment

• Originally posted by The_Raven View Post
                This question would assume that light can not pass through a vacuum. It seems it can through at least a vacuum of some amount. I have witnessed clear vessels with a vacuum applied to them and could see right through them and what is on the other side. I would say that the vacuum was close 20 in/Hg, if not more. This may still have a higher pressure than space, but is known as a vacuum as we know it on the surface of the earth.

We could get really deep into this, just wanted to make this small comment.

Back to the original discussion.
                Last time I'm gonna remark as well because I know you and I both do not want to jack Eric's thread. A wave is a propagation of disturbance through a medium. A wave can not exist with out a medium to travel through, just not possible. What ever the medium is, it is present in space and here where we are. I suspected simple magnetism in a stable (benign like state) as the medium.

Now, if we can get Eric into the debate....lol, nah, he's got a lot to do still on that Fiero. Which, btw, is coming along nice.

Comment

• didn't Einstein say that light was both a wave and a particle? w/e, lets start a new thread if the discussion needs to continue.

Edit: who the hell is Eisenstein?
                  Last edited by ericjon262; 03-28-2013, 12:03 AM.
                  "I am not what you so glibly call to be a civilized man. I have broken with society for reasons which I alone am able to appreciate. I am therefore not subject to it's stupid laws, and I ask you to never allude to them in my presence again."

Comment

• WOOT! got my head and main studs in, also got my new valves, keepers, spring seats, flywheel bolts, ect!

got to get this stuff to the machine shop stat!
                    "I am not what you so glibly call to be a civilized man. I have broken with society for reasons which I alone am able to appreciate. I am therefore not subject to it's stupid laws, and I ask you to never allude to them in my presence again."

Comment

• Originally posted by bigcheese View Post
                      my buddy ran 12 lbs and a 100 shot on his fiero for over a year. Pistons were fine. It was over 400 crank hp. Using hyper pistons
                      and I bet his AFR was well tuned, as well as the spark advance.

Did he increase the gap on the piston rings for boost or did he keep it stock? Thought it would be a good point to pull up on this thread, ring gap for forged or hypers and boost levels.

I opened the gap up ever so slightly, there was a formula for it, forget it now. Like increase gap X amount per lb of boost versus cylinder radius.

Forged is fine, but hypers can get ripped apart if the rings butt from excessive heat.

Originally posted by ericjon262 View Post
                      WOOT! got my head and main studs in, also got my new valves, keepers, spring seats, flywheel bolts, ect!

got to get this stuff to the machine shop stat!
                      Nice, almost like it's your birthday! I love it when a lot of parts come in.
                      Last edited by TGP37; 03-28-2013, 01:36 PM.

Comment

• guys, I already have the forged pistons, I'm gonna use them, lets start a new thread if the discussion needs to continue...

taking the rest of the parts to the machine shop so my machinist can get everything buttoned up! also, got my LC1 yesterday!

Comment

• intake is getting welded up tomorrow or wednesday, I'm going to talk to my machinist and see how much longer on the rest of the engine tomorrow.

in other news, the intercooler lines are almost done, just need a couple more fittings and a little bit more hose, should have pictures tomorrow.

Comment

• I got word that the intake is done at the welding shop! I won't be able to pick it up until friday at the earliest, but they said they were closed, so it looks like monday...

the intercooler lines were done, but I'm going to make a few changes. originally, I joined the two pipes together for ease of packaging, but the ease of packaging comes at a price. The hot coolant in route to the heat exchanger will warm up the cooler coolant on the way to the reservoir, so I'm going to redo them apart, and a little bit different too. right now, they are a little too long in the front, and bend up at too sharp of an angle in the back. I'll post pictures tomorrow when I get the new ones built.

I'm also entertaining the idea that I might run a bigger fuel line, stock is 3/8", I'm thinking I may step it up to 1/2" while I have the tank out. it depends on what size the outlet on my fuel pump is, but I don't have it in yet.

price is right, and a guy on PFF had 3rd party flow charts comparing it to a walbro, and it outflowed the walbro by a longshot.

some of you DOHC guys would dig his build....

At this point, Im already about half way through this entire swap/build already. But, as it is a build, It is a story. So I will start from the very beginning. About this project: I swapped the 3.4 DOHC into the car 5-6 years ago. I got the turbo itch, and had the funds. So I purchased some parts, most courtesy of eBay! First I bought a F40 Six speed. Then I bought a turbo, Garrett GT3582R. Wit

Comment

• 3/8" fuel line will support up to 550 HP, when used with fuel injection at 44.3 PSIG, IIRC.
                              Last edited by Guest; 04-03-2013, 07:54 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by The_Raven View Post
                                3/8" fuel like will support up to 550 HP, when used with fuel injection at 44.3 PSIG, IIRC.
                                I'm going to go talk to one of the local (well shit the only) dyno tuners and see what he thinks, I'd prefer to have a cushion, if the number is 550 hp, I should be ok, I don't plan to be north of there, but the build (short of the cheap turbo) should be capable of more than that, and I have it apart already, so it wouldn't really be any significant work to upgrade now compared to later.

Comment

Working...
                                X