No announcement yet.

262's 85 Fiero SE LX9 F23 swap thread lots of pics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Here's a before shot of the intercooler lines.

here's what will be going on the car (they're not quite done yet...)

the big plate in between goes under the gas tank, the pipes will have plates that bolt in place under that plate.
    "I am not what you so glibly call to be a civilized man. I have broken with society for reasons which I alone am able to appreciate. I am therefore not subject to it's stupid laws, and I ask you to never allude to them in my presence again."

Comment

• intercooler water lines are pretty much done, needs paint, and the rear line (to the tank and pump) need to be mounted, and I need to find a low profile elbow to fit between the tank and the frame rail... DOH! I should have pictures tomorrow showing everything done.
      "I am not what you so glibly call to be a civilized man. I have broken with society for reasons which I alone am able to appreciate. I am therefore not subject to it's stupid laws, and I ask you to never allude to them in my presence again."

Comment

• I wasn't going to install the lines tonight, but I changed my mind and did it.... here's a pick of the original lines I made, and the new lines

the far right is what I made the first go around, next to that, farther away, are the front hardlines to the HE, then the two main lines that run beside the tank. I'll try to get installed pics tomorrow. I also made a set of hardlines to run from the tank in the back to the intercooler/retun from the HE. the flat pieces on the right side of the far right pipe hold the battery cables in place.

as of now, the intercooler plumbing forward of the engine compartment firewall is complete. I also did a little bit of work on the exhaust and turbo mounts, I decided it was time to simplify a few things, unfortunately, I didn't take any pictures of that.

Comment

• intercooler HE lines installed, on the left is the line going to the HE, on the right, is the return line, that also supports the battery cables.

I re-did a couple things on the hotside, routing is still the same, but I ditched the upper mount for the turbo, and made another leg on the lower mount, so the turbo is now supported better, with less bulk, and allowing for more clearance around my shifter cables. I also installed a second V band on the front side to aid in install and removal.

I mounted the wastegate today too, it's mounted under the turbo, with the dump pointing towards the outlet of the turbo, it will dump into the exhaust stream.

it doesn't look like much, but it's been alot of work...

Comment

• drilled the oil pan for the drain

worked on the ICM bracket

I need to figure out how to get this heater line bent 180* around, so it points towards the front of the car

the other one was easy, cut, weld. done.

and now for shots of the intake manifold, got air?

Comment

• For the heater line you could drill-tap the LIM and use a 180* fitting.
              '89 Firebird, 3500 Turbo, T56, 9-bolt/4.11
              '86 Fiero, 3500, 4-speed

Comment

• Originally posted by caffeine View Post
                For the heater line you could drill-tap the LIM and use a 180* fitting.
                that's what I've been thinking I'd have to do, I just don't have a tap that big, and I don't want to buy one for a one time deal...

Comment

• FWIW a 1/2" NPT tap can be used without needing any drilling.

I ended up using 1/2" NPT as well for the turbo drain in the oil pan so it wasn't a one-time use item for me.
                  '86 Fiero, 3500, 4-speed

Comment

FWIW a 1/2" NPT tap can be used without needing any drilling.

I ended up using 1/2" NPT as well for the turbo drain in the oil pan so it wasn't a one-time use item for me.
                    I thought so, it looked like it. looks like I'm in the market for a 1/2" NPT tap now...

Comment

• Oh and I think I used it for tapping the rear side valve cover too.
                      '86 Fiero, 3500, 4-speed

Comment

Oh and I think I used it for tapping the rear side valve cover too.
                        tapping it for what?

Comment

• For a fitting to run to my PCV breather.

Since you're running a MAF you might want to run a fitting from that valve cover to pre-turbo, post-MAF, depending on how you're routing the PCV system.

Either way the stock breather tube probably isn't useable and its easy to just tap the valve cover and install a hose fitting to run it wherever you want.
                          Last edited by caffeine; 04-09-2013, 02:16 AM.
                          '86 Fiero, 3500, 4-speed

Comment

• Originally posted by ericjon262 View Post
                            I thought so, it looked like it. looks like I'm in the market for a 1/2" NPT tap now...
                            -AN threads are tapered unlike NPT. I used -8AN (essentially 1/2" but tapered) allowing control over how far in the adapter can thread. Since the braided SS lines I had used -AN, it worked out.

Or you could weld it to the pan. 1/2" aluminum bungs aren't expensive as taps.

Standard works just as well, just not tapered. Which ever, just tossing that out there for ya.

Originally posted by caffeine View Post
                            For a fitting to run to my PCV breather.

Since you're running a MAF you might want to run a fitting from that valve cover to pre-turbo, post-MAF, depending on how you're routing the PCV system.

Either way the stock breather tube probably isn't useable and its easy to just tap the valve cover and install a hose fitting to run it wherever you want.
                            I just ran a line from the valve cover to the exhaust after the O2's. I tried other methods and this seemed to work best for me. With out it, exhaust was smokey. Tricky ventilating the crankcase (and do it effectively) with boost on a NA block.
                            Last edited by TGP37; 04-09-2013, 01:03 PM.
                            1996 Grand Prix | 3100v6 L82 | T04E-50 Turbo | Getrag 282 w/ EP LSD | SPEC-3 Clutch

Comment

• my drain line in the oil pan is bigger than 1/2". I need the tap for the LIM. also, NPT threads have a taper too.

I do need to work out the PCV system still, that's something that I hadn't put alot of thought into. I was going to do slashcuts in the exhaust, but that'll throw off o2 sensor readings. I'm considering getting an electric "smog" pump and modding it into a vacuum pump to pull a vacuum on the crankcase. I saw a write up on it ages ago, of coarse now that I need it I can't find it...

I'm starting to think about mufflers alot now, I'd rather not be that guy who wakes up all the neighbors... think a hooker aerochamber would work well on a turbo car?

Comment

• The turbo will help muffle some. I use flowmaster 40's and it's not too loud at all. Though you have much less exhaust pipe to dampen, Fiero benefit.

About the PCV, don't recycle into the intake as the oil/air mix has a lower octane....not good for turbo. I dump past the O2's and before the catalytic into the exhaust.

Slash cut
                                evac-slashcut.jpg
                                A version w/ measurements
                                slash.jpg

It seems the ideal feed pipe that evacuates the blowby should be 0.5"D (This I never knew until now....looks like I have an upgrade to make)

I do plan to use a catch can, for obvious reasons.

Though a powered vacuum to the crankcase can yield extra power, worth it if you go that route.

edit: You could have quiet mufflers then have a valve open to free pipe for performance driving. Some are electronic, flip a switch between quiet/loud and fast.
                                Last edited by TGP37; 04-09-2013, 02:34 PM.
                                1996 Grand Prix | 3100v6 L82 | T04E-50 Turbo | Getrag 282 w/ EP LSD | SPEC-3 Clutch

Comment

Working...
                                X