Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ericjon262
    replied
    the intercooler appears to be functioning, but I think there might be an air bubble in it, it MAT is can still get hotter than I would like to see with a quickness, that said they also drop relatively quick too. Peak here is 151F, running on straight water. I might loosen the fitting on the top and try and bleed the system to see if that helps. I'm also noticing the MAT sensor is heat soaking a little bit too.

Leave a comment:

• ericjon262
    replied
    I mounted the Bluesea fuse block and four 40 amp relays to a piece of aluminum flat stock, originally I was going to use riv nuts to secure the piece to the front bulkhead, but I noticed the studs that would hold the sunroof air deflector and decided to use those instead. Doing this makes the bracket a little long, and bigger than it needs to be, but it also made it easier to install. later I may take it off and trim it down, but it's also aluminum, so it's not like the weight penalty is excessive, and it's not in the way of anything. as of this moment, only the 3rd relay is in use, the first and second are reserved as headlight relays, and the fourth is just there for future growth, maybe EPS? I also have 5 more fuse positions available in the block that don't have a planned use yet, I may use one for a line lock, but otherwise I'm not planning much more expansion.

as per the usual, I said I was going to do one thing, and did something else...

I pulled a few schematics and couldn't find an IGN+ to trigger the pump relay with, so I decided to go ahead and wire it in proper. I'm using the high speed fan pin on the C100(F7) to feed the trigger through, and I set it up to run at any time over 200 RPM. The pump is kinda loud, I can trigger it based on two parameters, so I set it up to run any time the engine is over 1200 RPM -OR- manifold air temp is over 110 F, that way, if it's hot and needs the loop to cool down, it will run, but it also won't run if it's not needed.
    Last edited by ericjon262; 08-07-2022, 10:15 PM.

Leave a comment:

• ericjon262
    replied
    I hadn't touched the car in a hot minute, about a month ago, i started working on intercooler plumbing, ran a hose along the gas tank, and used one of the stock heater lines to run back (the line is now plumbed into the passenger coolant tube). I hadn't gotten around to mounting the pump or the tank yet though. today, I figured the best method available to mount the pump was to put a standoff on the underside of the tank, and then put the pump bracket on the standoff.

My aluminum welds still suck... I haven't has much practice though.

I bent a few pieces of aluminum flat stock to make mounting brackets, if I had more foresight, I could have made two identical brackets, but the pump mount on the underside of the tank interfered.

in the top of that picture you can see 2 red power leads, those both go back to the fuse panel installed at the battery. I'm going to attach another smaller aux fuse panel and three relays in front of the master cylinder, one for the pump, and the other two will be high and low beams.

The pump was sent with a pigtail, I elected to make my own, instead to avoid having a splice in the wiring, the pigtail sent had a red and a blue wire, my dumbass assumed the red wire was the positive lead, and the blue was ground, which should have been a fairly safe assumption... it wasn't. I jumped the pump off of a M18 battery, it moved a good bit of water at a pretty decent pressure, but when I swapped the leads, it was probably double the flow! DOH! I haven't decided whether I want to finish the wiring tomorrow, or work on the Gran Damn. For now, I plan to wire the pump relay to a IGN+ source for a trigger, eventually, I'll use a binary output on the microsquirt to control it, probably trigger it to run when ECT >100 or something like that.

Leave a comment:

• ericjon262
    replied
    Originally posted by SappySE107 View Post
    That is the high performance stat mod Sucks about the bearings though.
    lol, I'm not wild about the high flow thermostat...

Leave a comment:

• ericjon262
    replied
    Originally posted by dbral View Post
    Awesome project and nice job. Best of luck with the new engine and hope the old one is salvageable too.
    thanks, I'm currently waiting on the main bearings I ordered to show up, once they get here, things will start moving along a bit quicker.

Leave a comment:

• SappySE107
    replied
    That is the high performance stat mod Sucks about the bearings though.

Leave a comment:

• dbral
    replied
    Awesome project and nice job. Best of luck with the new engine and hope the old one is salvageable too.

Leave a comment:

• ericjon262
    replied
    it's been a year and a half without an update here... I should be ashamed...

The engine spun a rod bearing shortly after the last update, I threw another engine together, and now it also has bearing material in the oil. today, 7 months after putting the engine "together" I found the thermostat that was on the engine in the car had been hacked up, leading me to believe that the engine at one point, was having overheating problems before I got to it...

I dropped a block off at the machine shop the other day, he called and said it was ready, now I'm just waiting on main bearings so I can start getting it all put back together, once it's done, I'll swap it for the engine in the car, then decide that engine's fate.

Leave a comment:

• ericjon262
    replied

CHOP CHOP CHOP!

Leave a comment:

• ericjon262
    replied
    well, I installed a new battery, and my throttle control problem went away! I suspect cranking voltage was too low to drive the TB, causing the controller to drop control. With the new battery, comes a new, unexpected problem, my MAF either a) isn't outputting a signal or b) the signal isn't making it to the MS3 pro.

So far, I have verified the MAF signal wire is wired to the correct MS3 pro pin, then I checked power and ground on the MAF sensor. everything seems to check out good, I'm going to order a new sensor and cross my fingers.

I started working on a speed density "tune" to try and get it idling, and this thing sounds pretty nasty for a little V6, I'll have to try and get a camera with a decent mic and get a clip going.

Leave a comment:

• ericjon262
    replied
    Originally posted by heysoundude View Post

You've basically converted to Coil-on-Plug ignition - do you find it runs smoother/more powerfully or efficiently, or is it just so you can dial in your own advance? Lots of questions in there, I know....
    Also, are you using the upgraded truck coils?
    I'm running an MS3 Pro ultimate, with LSx truck ignition coils. most builds probably wouldn't need anything this crazy. I wanted a hotter ignition for lighting things off under high boost, and to eliminate the ignition module,

Advance can be changed with the stock brick just like you can with the truck coils.

As far as smooth or efficiency is concerned, I can't really say, this engine doesn't have enough runtime to make a true assessment.

Leave a comment:

• heysoundude
    replied
    Originally posted by ericjon262 View Post

what do you want to know?
    You've basically converted to Coil-on-Plug ignition - do you find it runs smoother/more powerfully or efficiently, or is it just so you can dial in your own advance? Lots of questions in there, I know....
    Also, are you using the upgraded truck coils?

Leave a comment:

• ericjon262
    replied
    Originally posted by Guest View Post
    I've thought about getting that DBWX2 box, it would just be nice if there was a more universal option, like other ECUs work with.

I'll be interested in seeing updates to it's functionality.
    it can also work as a standalone unit, controlling only the TB, but then idle control and TPS signal could get interesting.

Leave a comment:

• ericjon262
    replied
    Originally posted by heysoundude View Post
    manbearpig your post brought this thread to my attention, where I have noticed an interesting ignition setup that I need to learn more about...
    what do you want to know?

Leave a comment:

• ericjon262
    replied
    Originally posted by manbearpig View Post
    Haven't been on in a while, came back to check on this project but no updates. Please tell me you're still going?
    Still going, I was underwater for the past 90+ days, There should be some updates coming soon.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X