No announcement yet.

262's 85 Fiero SE LX9 F23 swap thread lots of pics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you are welding a manifold that is thick be sure to preheat to 350-400 F or have more than 200 amps on the TIG welder. It can be done but aluminum eats power.

Comment

Bob442,

Are you talking mig, TIG or stick? I found with mig you need a spiral motion to overlap. Though with my mig welder the right setting welds perfect. The biggest advice I have is to get some extra tubing and do test welds until the machine is dialed in. Then weld the actual party's. I do this for all three types of welding. You learn a lot by doing test welds.

Comment

I hit a little snag last night. I purchased a swap trans mount for the F23, just to find out it only works on the 88 model fiero! so before I could continue with the headers, I had to fab up a new mount, which is almost done, then I have to fab up the front mount, and maybe a over-limit strap then I'll finish the rear header, and start the front.

on a side note, the car will have a true dual exhaust, and my collectors are 2.5", would a 2.5" true dual setup be a little extreme for a 3500?
        "I am not what you so glibly call to be a civilized man. I have broken with society for reasons which I alone am able to appreciate. I am therefore not subject to it's stupid laws, and I ask you to never allude to them in my presence again."

Comment

here's the latest...

Front side header almost done...
          "I am not what you so glibly call to be a civilized man. I have broken with society for reasons which I alone am able to appreciate. I am therefore not subject to it's stupid laws, and I ask you to never allude to them in my presence again."

Comment

needed to take a break from the headers, so I started my shift linkage...

The new linkage will allow the shift and select cables to approach the transaxle from the front of the vehicle, and hopefully allow me to use stock cables instead of a custom set.

also, just to add, this is just a mock-up, I'll have the finished component machined out of a piece of steel or billet aluminum.

Comment

I really look forward to pictures of the progress! It's looking good so far...those headers are a nice touch

Comment

@3100 Thanks, The headers aren't done yet, but all the need is the flanges and collectors welded.

The shifter is almost complete. I just need to do some final contouring, install a couple of bushings, and make the cable holders.

more to come soon.

Comment

Did you have to use a bellhousing adapter or custom bell with the F23? I'd always heard they were Ecotec-specific.
                  Kaiser George IX: 1996 Buick Century Special wagon. 213-SFI. 250k miles. Never gonna give you up, never gonna let you down. First documented LX9 swap in an A-body! Click here to read my build thread!

Comment

2000-2002 cavaliers with the Iron Puke use the same bell as the 60 degree, no adapter necessary.

Comment

you can see there is no adapter in the pictures on the previous page.

Comment

It's the 00-02 J-body cars(Cavi and Sunfire VIN 4) with the pushrod 2200 engine that have the F23 and the GM Metric bolt pattern that the 60* does.
                        sigpic

"When you don't do anything, you have plenty of time to post questions that don't mean anything tomorrow."
                        - Ben

Comment

I hated Fieros until I saw this one. Makes me wonder what I would do with one I bet an LS series would fit in there...

Comment

I worked on the transmission mounts again, here are a few pics.

Comment

Originally posted by 3100 View Post
                              I hated Fieros until I saw this one. Makes me wonder what I would do with one I bet an LS series would fit in there...
                              honestly, the only V8 I like to see in a Fiero is a northstar. I'm not really sure why, maybe it's just becaue most of the V8 swaps I've seen seem very hackish...

Comment

Originally posted by ericjon262 View Post
                                on a side note, the car will have a true dual exhaust, and my collectors are 2.5", would a 2.5" true dual setup be a little extreme for a 3500?
                                this is another argument that has gone on many pages on here somewhere. best i can say is you should have a x pipe, and 2 1/2 might be to large, and you could find yourself with very hot exhaust valves.

Its runs!!!>>>Aint No 60* Sound Like Mehttp://youtu.be/YKEmNwa141U

Comment

Working...
                                X