Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by robertisaar View Post
    twin turbo northstar fiero as a beater?
    lol, you're adding a few interesting ideas in there, but I was thinking just N* maybe a 6 speed to though...
    "I am not what you so glibly call to be a civilized man. I have broken with society for reasons which I alone am able to appreciate. I am therefore not subject to it's stupid laws, and I ask you to never allude to them in my presence again."

Comment

• i think the northstar itself takes up enough room, let alone 1 turbo, let alone 2.... give it some air/air intercooling and you'll have to disassemble everything just to check the oil.
      1995 Monte Carlo LS 3100, 4T60E...for now, future plans include driving it until the wheels fall off!
      Latest nAst1 files here!
      Need a wiring diagram for any GM car or truck from 82-06(and 07-08 cars)? PM me!

Comment

• northstar/F40 would probably be more than enough fun though.
        1995 Monte Carlo LS 3100, 4T60E...for now, future plans include driving it until the wheels fall off!
        Latest nAst1 files here!
        Need a wiring diagram for any GM car or truck from 82-06(and 07-08 cars)? PM me!

Comment

• yeah, esp with a port and polish and cam swap. there is a guy on PFF with a TT N* though, so it is possible. I'd do a big single before twins anyday though.
          "I am not what you so glibly call to be a civilized man. I have broken with society for reasons which I alone am able to appreciate. I am therefore not subject to it's stupid laws, and I ask you to never allude to them in my presence again."

Comment

• Bigger blocks need twins at some point or the lag will start to become frustrating for a city driver. Another score for the 60V6!
            1996 Grand Prix | 3100v6 L82 | T04E-50 Turbo | Getrag 282 w/ EP LSD | SPEC-3 Clutch

Comment

• exhaust is 99% complete, just need to put the slashcut in, and a flex coupling. should have pics tomorrow.

LC1 is mounted, and the wires routed, still needs to be wired up, but for the most part it's done.
              Last edited by ericjon262; 04-30-2013, 11:42 PM.

Comment

• Cool, you need many hours of log data before you go on sea duty. To have something to analyze and refine the tune. Believe me, you can go as far as the mind allows there, street tuning. The trick is finding how to filter out data you don't need per formula/table/etc.

Once I got about 2+ million rows of data (5 rows per second) (each row had all the engine data for that moment) LOTS OF DATA compiled into a massive excel document, the data crunching began. As an example you can see what I mean by analyzing......here is a collection of data I have so far...mostly relevant to my build only. But some things are usable, like max torque per AFR, Spark, etc. as a base point of reference. Though I only suggest getting ideas for analysis and charting your own data.

When you come back to dry land, you'll have a nice refined tune. Even if you get the dyno to tune it, you can always refine with lots of road data.

link
                Last edited by TGP37; 05-01-2013, 03:16 PM.
                1996 Grand Prix | 3100v6 L82 | T04E-50 Turbo | Getrag 282 w/ EP LSD | SPEC-3 Clutch

Comment

• any updates?

Comment

• Originally posted by bigcheese View Post
                    any updates?

just getting all the little odds and ends tied up, not really a whole lot worth posting.

Comment

• anything new? running yet?

Comment

• got the engine back, finished the final assembly, installed the flywheel and clutch, installed a new HTOB, bled the master, bled the line, started bleeding the HTOB, and apparently, it's defective. there's a nice little puddle of hydraulic fluid dripping out from the bellhousing. never got a pedal at all... my machinist did great job on the engine, but he took way to damn long. if I had the engine back, even last week, I would have had time to deal with issues like this.

oh well, life happens. I'll get a new clutch (clutchnet stage 4) and HTOB(GM) on order before I leave tomorrow, and when I get back, I'll fix it.

it'll take a little longer then planned, but I'll make it happen still....

Comment

• Damn the luck.
                          See you in a few months.
                          95 Beretta 3100 with 3400 intakes and TCE TB
                          High flow cat and a Magnaflow muffler
                          Grand Prix trans with 3.33FDR

Comment

• Sux but what can ya do

See ya in a few!
                            Lifting my front wheels, one jack at a time.

Comment

• Originally posted by ericjon262 View Post
                              got the engine back, finished the final assembly, installed the flywheel and clutch, installed a new HTOB, bled the master, bled the line, started bleeding the HTOB, and apparently, it's defective. there's a nice little puddle of hydraulic fluid dripping out from the bellhousing. never got a pedal at all... my machinist did great job on the engine, but he took way to damn long. if I had the engine back, even last week, I would have had time to deal with issues like this.

oh well, life happens. I'll get a new clutch (clutchnet stage 4) and HTOB(GM) on order before I leave tomorrow, and when I get back, I'll fix it.

it'll take a little longer then planned, but I'll make it happen still....
                              I had an issue with my HTOB as well. Apparently it wouldn't engage the clutch fingers and just had a spring like feel to it. Bled it over and over again, even reverse bled. There was no air coming out any which way to Sunday.

Then I took it out (real PITA) and bled the system off the block, assembled of course. I found the HTOB needed primed off block and it worked flawlessly ever since.

Of course the puddle isn't a positive sign either.......

Good Luck on your (is it your 1st?) sea duty!

Comment

• If I was doing a NStar I'd go for the STS-V engine (4.4L and 440 HP). Heck with Turbos when GM made a factory supercharger...

I'm doing a 3.9/3.5 swap with a turbo and having a similar packaging issue. Fortunately I haven't had to redo too many things.. BUT thats the name of the game with trial and error. Eventually it'll be done.

As to the HTOB issue its good to know I haven't gotten to the point of priming my system yet but when I do at least I'll have an idea what to look for. I have however run into a different issue with my dual disc clutch (Tilton) the HTOB doesn't have the same bearing diameter.. I'll be removing the stock HTOB and buying a Tilton and making an adapter. What isn't to great is that GM has put the input shaft seal of the F40 as part of the HTOB assembly. Fortunately my measurements of the seal show it to be 1.125" So a seal should be nearly off the shelf. If anyone else is considering the F40 and a Quatermaster/Tilton etc.. button clutch they'll run into the same issue.

Comment

Working...
                                X