262's 85 Fiero SE LX9 F23 swap thread lots of pics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 3100 View Post
    I hated Fieros until I saw this one. Makes me wonder what I would do with one I bet an LS series would fit in there...
    You bet huh? Kinda old news and there is a kit. I too would prefer a N* for a V8, if it would have survived into the 90s my guess would be that the car would have gotten a Quad4 base and the 3.4 DOHC in the GT... the DOHC N* just fits the image

Anyway... Eric, have you decided which direction you are going to go with the front tranny mount? Inboard or outboard?
    Last edited by carbon; 01-24-2012, 08:52 AM.
    sigpic

"When you don't do anything, you have plenty of time to post questions that don't mean anything tomorrow."
    - Ben

Comment

Originally posted by 3100 View Post
      I hated Fieros until I saw this one. Makes me wonder what I would do with one I bet an LS series would fit in there...
      I just realized you complemented me, Thanks!

Originally posted by bob442 View Post
      this is another argument that has gone on many pages on here somewhere. best i can say is you should have a x pipe, and 2 1/2 might be to large, and you could find yourself with very hot exhaust valves.
      X pipe? The theory behind an X pipe is that it balances exhaust pulses between the two banks, on a 60* the pulses are already balanced, so an X pipe wouldn't do much at all if anything.and it would make packaging my exhaust about 10x harder, as a X pipe doesn't really even work right unless the X is the same distance from each collector.

Originally posted by carbon View Post
      You bet huh? Kinda old news and there is a kit. I too would prefer a N* for a V8, if it would have survived into the 90s my guess would be that the car would have gotten a Quad4 base and the 3.4 DOHC in the GT... the DOHC N* just fits the image

Anyway... Eric, have you decided which direction you are going to go with the front tranny mount? Inboard or outboard?
      I'm making an inboard and outboard mount. the engine and trans will have 5 mounting points when I'm done, the stock front motor mount, a dogbone on the left side of the rear cylinder head, a trans mount similar to the stock fiero location, and 2 frontside mounts.
      "I am not what you so glibly call to be a civilized man. I have broken with society for reasons which I alone am able to appreciate. I am therefore not subject to it's stupid laws, and I ask you to never allude to them in my presence again."

Comment

Carbon-

I started thinking about adding another dogbone mount below the alternator, a little lower than the stock one (as if I could mount it like stock!) I don't have the engine in the car yet, so it's hard to say it it's possible, or even worth the effort, what do you think?

BTW, your sig looks awesome.
        "I am not what you so glibly call to be a civilized man. I have broken with society for reasons which I alone am able to appreciate. I am therefore not subject to it's stupid laws, and I ask you to never allude to them in my presence again."

Comment

I really haven't had a chance to look at my 3500 yet as it is still in the original owner's garage... need to remedy that... are you talking about a strut to the cradle or to the firewall? I know that there are design considerations for the angle the force is applied to make it do what it is supposed to do, being inline with the rotation of the engine on the other mounts.

I do have an A.I.R. head 3400 sitting on my garage floor(need to remedy that too ) and just keep wishing there was a way to keep all of the Fiero accessories for convenience... my real problem is that I haven't ever had a 2.8 sitting in front of me to look at the differences... now I've heard from guys on Pennock's like x-thumper-x about using the later Fiero timing cover with the Gen III engines, but I have also been told that the aluminum heads don't have the provisions for the alternator/dog-bone mounts like the iron heads do. I also don't know about the A/C bracket from the 2.8 working on the later block... my guess is no.

You really are quite far ahead of me in this project. I am still gathering stuff. And its pretty damn cold out.
          Last edited by carbon; 01-26-2012, 09:33 AM.
          sigpic

"When you don't do anything, you have plenty of time to post questions that don't mean anything tomorrow."
          - Ben

Comment

I really haven't had a chance to look at my 3500 yet as it is still in the original owner's garage... need to remedy that... are you talking about a strut to the cradle or to the firewall? I know that there are design considerations for the angle the force is applied to make it do what it is supposed to do, being inline with the rotation of the engine on the other mounts.

I do have an A.I.R. head 3400 sitting on my garage floor(need to remedy that too ) and just keep wishing there was a way to keep all of the Fiero accessories for convenience... my real problem is that I haven't ever had a 2.8 sitting in front of me to look at the differences... now I've heard from guys on Pennock's like x-thumper-x about using the later Fiero timing cover with the Gen III engines, but I have also been told that the aluminum heads don't have the provisions for the alternator/dog-bone mounts like the iron heads do. I also don't know about the A/C bracket from the 2.8 working on the later block... my guess is no.

You really are quite far ahead of me in this project. I am still gathering stuff. And its pretty damn cold out.

I thought you had already done a 3x00 swap... what is a A.I.R 3400 head?

Cold? I don't know what you're talking about, I just got back from fishing!?

Comment

Oh, I wish... I bought a 3400 a few years back to swap in, but kids and pay cuts later no swap had materialized. I then was presented a 3500 and an F23 along with the bits to make it work with OBDII, and being that I am a sucker, I bought it too... But damn it, I am doing the swap this year.

The 2000 3400 I have had an air pump with ports in the exhaust ports in the head... I think it stands for Air Injection Reactor? Secondary air injection? Stupid smog pump.
              sigpic

- Ben

Comment

Oh, I wish... I bought a 3400 a few years back to swap in, but kids and pay cuts later no swap had materialized. I then was presented a 3500 and an F23 along with the bits to make it work with OBDII, and being that I am a sucker, I bought it too... But damn it, I am doing the swap this year.

The 2000 3400 I have had an air pump with ports in the exhaust ports in the head... I think it stands for Air Injection Reactor? Secondary air injection? Stupid smog pump.
                oh, ok, I didn't realize there were 3400 heads the specifically made to be used with a smog pump. usually the manufacturers just drill and tap the exhaust manifolds for them.

Let me know if you need any help on your swap, I've taken lots of pictures along the way.

Comment

Update?
                  sigpic

- Ben

Comment

not much, just this

Comment

You working on the front tranny mount?

I received that rear bracket on Saturday! Thanks! That thing is huge compared to what I had seen in pics...
                      sigpic

- Ben

Comment

You working on the front tranny mount?

I received that rear bracket on Saturday! Thanks! That thing is huge compared to what I had seen in pics...
                        awesome, glad to here you got it in one piece! as for the welding, I was learning to tig weld with my buddy Mark on some scrap from the header project, here's a better pic

Comment

You dead?
                          sigpic

- Ben

Comment

not yet, I'll have some more pictures for you tomorrow, it'll be ok I promise!

Comment

I am almost there on parts... I just need to get a clutch master cylinder, the hydraulic line and the slave adapter from Roger Thelin. Just. This shit is expensive. Getting excited to start my swap soon.

Looking forward to pics!
                              sigpic

- Ben

Comment

here we go...

Most of my new 5x4.75 swap is here now, and I started on the brakes, unfortunately, I have to go back to the machine shop and have some more machine work done...

you can see where the caliper is colliding with the threaded ears for the original minivan brakes, I'm going to have those cut off, and I'll have the upright drilled and tapped further over so the caliper will overlap the whole rotor for better clamping.

The new brakes seen in this picture are from a 1995 Trans Am, they are both larger and vented. the fronts will be updated to 2001 Trans Am front brakes, again, both vented and larger too. I have the weekend off, so there will be progress!

Comment

Working...
                                X