262's 85 Fiero SE LX9 F23 swap thread lots of pics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Time to re-do my shift linkages!
    "I am not what you so glibly call to be a civilized man. I have broken with society for reasons which I alone am able to appreciate. I am therefore not subject to it's stupid laws, and I ask you to never allude to them in my presence again."

Comment

• ok guys, as we can see, lots of progress today! the engine is in the car, the shift linkage is almost complete, and the turbo placement has been decided. I also ordered my a2w intercooler kit, and my fuel injectors today. I'm going to try to get the turbo piping complete this week. for now, I'm ditching the turbo headers I was going to build in favor of turbo grand prix manifolds ported to better suit my engine. I've also run into more TB clearance issues, but I think I already have a solution for it. I've got to get this car on the road in the next 2-3 months, which is going to be tough, so some corners may be cut, but hopefully everything will go as planned. I'll load up the pics tomorrow.
      "I am not what you so glibly call to be a civilized man. I have broken with society for reasons which I alone am able to appreciate. I am therefore not subject to it's stupid laws, and I ask you to never allude to them in my presence again."

Comment

• Power steering pump clears everything as expected!

I am having clearance issues with throttle body flange and the decklid supports...

I think I may have a solution

yet another custom part! it's not done yet, it'll get trimmed back to match the LX9 TB flange, and the inner opening smoothed out.

I also made quite a bit of progress on my shifter mechanism.

Comment

• The stock cam on these engines work very well with a turbo. It isn't the best grind but compared to other vehicle stock cam, it works very well for boost. I kept the stock cam and kinda glad cause I fear the timing chain would fail with more power, stiffer valve springs, more aggressive lobes......and the double chains are not gonna be easy to get anymore.

But then again, your build may shine with a turbo cam. Just my 2 cents
          1996 Grand Prix | 3100v6 L82 | T04E-50 Turbo | Getrag 282 w/ EP LSD | SPEC-3 Clutch

Comment

• that's why I'm going with the earlier, stronger timing set.

Comment

• intercooler!

I also got my 63 lb injectors yesterday. let's do this!

Comment

• Awesome, I like the progress!
                Lifting my front wheels, one jack at a time.

Comment

• mwahaha, air-water IC! Yes, the progress is good.

Adding a water/meth injection system can boost your octane and make your boost goals a little more reasonable, safely. Inject before the turbo to drop IAT's and inject after the turbo to increase octane.

A good system will only inject once boost is achieved. You could have it kick in at 5 psi. Some have a trigger when fluid runs out. I considered using the trigger to open the MAF data circuit, making a MAF failure and throwing the PCM into SD but also forces the use of the low octane spark map. It is a way to reduce spark advance if the h20/meth system runs dry.

I plan to install one myself someday, hopefully soon. But the nice ones I want are pricey.
                  1996 Grand Prix | 3100v6 L82 | T04E-50 Turbo | Getrag 282 w/ EP LSD | SPEC-3 Clutch

Comment

• I'll do water/meth later once I see where my IAT's are. I'm also going to get a second fan for the heat exchanger.

Comment

• More for the octane boost since you have an a2wIC. Detonation would be your biggest concern boosting on stock hypereutectic pistons. They can handle a LOT of heat (aside from the top ring butting and ripping the top off) but those stock pistons shatter far to easy from detonation. Which is why a lot of people swear by forged pistons for boosted apps.

But I have read some people use hypers in turbos just fine. Avoiding detonation is the key w/ stock pistons that are hypereutectics. I think your motor uses hypers...not sure though.

It all comes together in the tune. The tune will make or break it!

EDIT: Have you considered Mega Squirt to run the engine? I hear they are getting good in the later versions and have many options for pcm boost control. You would also save on not having to purchase an expensive tuner package. That would be an impressive addition to the build. though the wiring and soldering may be daunting for some people.
                      Last edited by TGP37; 08-10-2012, 02:04 PM.

Comment

• well guys, not much to report, ,I've been making a diligent effort to get the wiring sorted out. I'm also waiting on parts... I did get the injectors installed, along with the 3400 fuel rail/regulator. I've also found a location for the ECM, but I'll need to make a splash guard for it.

Comment

• Lots of progress has been made on the car! wiring harness is close to 80% done, and tucked up nicely so almost none of it is visible! all that's left if to mate the engine harness to the car, wire in the o2 sensors, and knock sensor, and put a few terminals on. I've also moved several ugly wires that were lying around the engine bay, like the cruise control wires, the evap purge wires, and the trunk light wires. I also started putting the interior back together, the car has a radio again! I wish Issac hadn't dumped all that rain on my days off earlier this week, I'd be done with the harness if it hadn't.

Comment

• Sorry, this update is mainly for boring stuff, and Fiero specific stuff...

Pulled the EVAP purge, Cruise control, and trunk light wiring out of sight. all of which will still be functional, and no wired were left behind in the body panels!

I also started to make my intercooler tank stand-in.

tank drops in from above

fits like a glove

and re-carpeted

Should look something like this when complete:

just add Turbo, and a little more cleanup on the harness in the battery box area.

Comment

• What are your plans for oil return from the turbo? Did you drill/Tap the oil pan yet? Or use a catch area and sump pump it back through the valve covers?

Looks good so far, I like how you use sit-ins for future parts.

Comment

• the pan has not been tapped yet, I will do that during the cam and clutch install. I use stand ins to make sure everything will fit, especially with the custom parts.

Comment

Working...
                                X