262's 85 Fiero SE LX9 F23 swap thread lots of pics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 262's 85 Fiero SE LX9 F23 swap thread lots of pics

I posted my build thread on pennocks, and I'm posting it here too, I'll keep it updated

I finally called it quits trying to fix my 1985 Fiero SE's 2.8, the car just wouldn't run, so I made the choice to pull the old iron headed POS and put something new in, 2 something to be precise!

Here's what I started with...

and here's the new stuff!

My F23!

My LX9

I decided on the LX9 3500 for several reasons, it's compact, it's lighter than the stock 2.8, makes good power per liter, and shares some similarities to the 2.8 dimensionaly they also, sound cool!

I cut the bottom of the trunk out to make room for an exhaust, and possibly, turbos!

This is my $15 alternator, went for the bracket, popped the hood, and there it is, a brand new delphi!

Steel crank FTW!

Clutch, Crank trigger, and TB adapter!

Crank trigger semi installed!

LX5 "shortstar" throttle body.

Uh oh!

Here we go!

Obligatory "me in the engine bay" pic

Engine and trans hovering over the cradle.

BEST CREWCHIEF EVER

Remote oil filter adapter and custom plumbing.

Right now, I'm neck deep in wiring, and halfway done with the engine and transmission mounts.

thats my front trans mount, unfinished, I've cut the tab and ground it smoother.

I'm still working on my front and rear engine mount, and my rear trans mount, I'll keep the thread updated, and post lots of pics along the way(like I said, dailup beware!).
    "I am not what you so glibly call to be a civilized man. I have broken with society for reasons which I alone am able to appreciate. I am therefore not subject to it's stupid laws, and I ask you to never allude to them in my presence again."

Hey this thread looks familiar

Comment

Very cool!

BTW, which clutch are you using?

Comment

Originally posted by Blacktree View Post
        Very cool!

BTW, which clutch are you using?
        It's a Centerforce dual friction, I was going to get a spec, but my local shop couldn't order from spec.

I got some of my poly mounts in today, so hopefully I'll get my engine and trans mounts done soon!
        "I am not what you so glibly call to be a civilized man. I have broken with society for reasons which I alone am able to appreciate. I am therefore not subject to it's stupid laws, and I ask you to never allude to them in my presence again."

Comment

Did you decide on what to replace your upper dog bone with?

Comment

Originally posted by Kaiju Senso View Post
            Did you decide on what to replace your upper dog bone with?
            I think I'm going to make a dogbone mount that goes under the coilpack and above the exhaust.

Comment

I got my balancer!

Last edited by ericjon262; 01-06-2012, 11:56 PM.

Comment

unfortunately, I don't have much to report, other than that I've painted the engine cradle, finished the bulk of the wiring, and spent lots of $$$ on parts...

Parts list as of now...

Big LS1 Camaro Brakes
                New front swaybar current front will be moved to the rear.
                Rodney Dickman aluminum cradle bushings
                KYB struts that I'm converting to coil-over
                a big mess of pipe Stahl Headers
                Collectors, also from Stahl
                new Rodney Dickman front motor mount
                Thelin F23 rear trans mount.

Painted and polished the intake!

Hello, think i got enought to make two sets!

Parts to be ordered soon (hopefully)

SS brake lines
                Vbands for the exhaust
                flex couplers for the exhaust
                Poly bushing/mount kit
                o2 sensor bungs
                HT motorsports front suspension kit (hopefully)

Comment

wow, those bends are HUGE! fun looking project, is this engine running on OBDI or II?

Its runs!!!>>>Aint No 60* Sound Like Mehttp://youtu.be/YKEmNwa141U

Comment

Originally posted by bob442 View Post
                    wow, those bends are HUGE! fun looking project, is this engine running on OBDI or II?
                    The tubing is only 1 5/8", I haven't made up my mind on obd1 or obd2 yet, right now, I'm wiring it up so I could run either. obd1, the inital costs are higher, but I'd be able to tune it, obd 2, would be cheaper initially, but cost more long term because I don't have the stuff to tune it.

Comment

the tueb size is fine, but the bend radious kinda looks a little large, some might be usefull as you plan on a turbo setup, but usually a 2 1/2 radious bend is a little more ideal.

Hey, is modifying to a retunless fuel rail as simple as a corvette or F body fuel filter?

Its runs!!!>>>Aint No 60* Sound Like Mehttp://youtu.be/YKEmNwa141U

Comment

WHERE did you get the 3-1 merge collectors i cannot find them anymore anywhere!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by bob442 View Post
                          the tueb size is fine, but the bend radious kinda looks a little large, some might be usefull as you plan on a turbo setup, but usually a 2 1/2 radious bend is a little more ideal.

Hey, is modifying to a retunless fuel rail as simple as a corvette or F body fuel filter?
                          as far as the bends go, there's alot of different shapes and sizes in that pile, I'll make it work!

the fuel issue is another story, I think I'm going to build a whole new system, it's so short and simple on something like a Fiero, that it won't be a big hit on the pocketbook. I'll either try and make a late model sender fit the Fiero, or I'll get a AFPR and put it inline before the fuel rail.

Comment

Originally posted by alpinestar10 View Post
                            WHERE did you get the 3-1 merge collectors i cannot find them anymore anywhere!!!!
                            Stahl headers

Comment

How are you planning on welding the headers? I'm trying to plan my headers out for my 3900 fiero swap.

Comment

Working...
                              X