No announcement yet.

262's 85 Fiero SE LX9 F23 swap thread lots of pics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

well guys, I've decided to start over on my headers, I liked the look of them, but the welds sucked, flux core is no good for welding headers, and I should have known better than to do it.

so for now, I'm going to get the engine and trans mounted securely, mount my new rear sway bar, and then, when everything else is done, I'll re-do the headers.
    "I am not what you so glibly call to be a civilized man. I have broken with society for reasons which I alone am able to appreciate. I am therefore not subject to it's stupid laws, and I ask you to never allude to them in my presence again."

Comment

Flux core should work ok if the amperage is set right.

Comment

The problem is two fold, one, my welder only has 4 heat ranges, and even the coldest is a little hot for header pipe, and two, flux core is a more porous weld, because the sheilding can get trapped inside the weld.

on top of that, the welds are just plain fugly...
        "I am not what you so glibly call to be a civilized man. I have broken with society for reasons which I alone am able to appreciate. I am therefore not subject to it's stupid laws, and I ask you to never allude to them in my presence again."

Comment

Porosity is typical of running too hot. What kind of welder do you have?

Comment

Originally posted by NateD4 View Post
            Porosity is typical of running too hot. What kind of welder do you have?
            it's an old cambell hausfeld POS. like I said, even the coldest setting on it is too hot for doing the header pipe.

Comment

I have a small Millermatic 135 MIG that I occasionally use. MIG is very sensitive to voltage and wire feed speed. If you get it right it'll pop and crackle all day long and produce nice welds.

Based on my experience with it you need .025 wire for welding thin wall tubing (less then .090 thick). I'd also get several sample pieces and run beads to get the settings right.

In this case paying the money for a Lincoln, Hobart or Miller welder may be worthwhile as the latter two have voltage compensating units in it that help keep the voltage from fluctuating during welds.

Personally I use TIG for most exhaust welding I do. But even that you have to be extremely careful not to over current. You also really should have purge gas on the inside of the tube to eliminate oxides on the back side of the weld puddle.

My suggestion, see if you can find someone with a modern Hobart or Miller welder (Hobart is owned by Miller). If you can get the settings right you'll have a nice weld.

Comment

I just realized that I forgot to mention I'm going to use my buddies tig the second time around.

Comment

What headers? All I saw were pics of you trying to get a sunburn on your hand...
                  sigpic

"When you don't do anything, you have plenty of time to post questions that don't mean anything tomorrow."
                  - Ben

Comment

Originally posted by carbon View Post
                    What headers? All I saw were pics of you trying to get a sunburn on your hand...
                    tee hee haa haa. I'll remember this next time you need help!

Comment

Originally posted by ericjon262 View Post
                      tee hee haa haa. I'll remember this next time you need help!

Actually I did some picing up on Sunday...

Edit: Now I see... you did an update on PFF but not here. So confusing LOL
                      Last edited by carbon; 02-20-2012, 10:23 AM.
                      sigpic

"When you don't do anything, you have plenty of time to post questions that don't mean anything tomorrow."
                      - Ben

Comment

Originally posted by carbon View Post

Actually I did some picing up on Sunday...

Edit: Now I see... you did an update on PFF but not here. So confusing LOL
                        ???now I'm confused! all I did on PFF was bring the thread up to speed with my thread over here! I built the headers on page 3!

Comment

LOL... It's been a while since I went through this whole thread. Sorry. Back to the broadcast currently in progress...
                          sigpic

- Ben

Comment

did a little bit of work on my front transmission mount today, mainly drilling holes in the steel (I need a drill press...bad!)

also, I started work on my new dogbone mount, using some of the old dogbone mount original to the fiero.

the dogbone will also be supported by a piece of steel going to the top right corner bellhousing bolts.

I'm also almost finished with my rear transmission mount...

I guess I can also mention I'm getting better with the tig unit. now I just need to buy my own....

Comment

Nice!
                              sigpic

- Ben

Comment

guys, I'm trying to talk myself out of using the LX9 exhaust manifolds instead of re-doing my headers. at this point, I'll be starting over from scratch on them. the headers would help performance, but the would take longer and cost more. by the looks of the manifolds, they don't look terrible, but they won't be a set of headers by any means. what are your thoughts?

Comment

Working...
                                X