262's 85 Fiero SE LX9 F23 swap thread lots of pics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by 23TrackroadsterV6 View Post
    Helpful tip on the welding, you need to leave a small gap between the tubes being joined, I usually use the thickness of the tubing as a guide, if its 1/16 wall thickness, leave a 1/16th space between the tubes. Doing this allows you to use less heat, less wire and still get good penetration of the parts being joined.
    this goes against everything I have been taught and tried...
    "I am not what you so glibly call to be a civilized man. I have broken with society for reasons which I alone am able to appreciate. I am therefore not subject to it's stupid laws, and I ask you to never allude to them in my presence again."

Comment

• Just telling you what works for me. BTW I have I-CAR SPSO5 welding certification.

Comment

Just telling you what works for me. BTW I have I-CAR SPSO5 welding certification.
        Lol, I should revise that to add, I have almost no real training when it comes to welding, almost everything I know, I know by good ol T&E...

my Uncle is a certified welder (unsure of what kind of cert he holds) and he always told me it's best to have as little gap as possible. but, you obviously know what you're doing, as the welds on your stuff looks really good, so it must be working!

in other news, here's science in action! see the little lines? those are formed when iron filing are on the ground, and my welding lead runs over the top of them, this demonstrates that electron flow influences magnetism!

"I am not what you so glibly call to be a civilized man. I have broken with society for reasons which I alone am able to appreciate. I am therefore not subject to it's stupid laws, and I ask you to never allude to them in my presence again."

Comment

• I always remove my cell phone from my pocket when I'm going to weld, they seem to last longer without all the electrical magnetism running near them. At one time I was one of only two SPS05 certified welders here in Colorado, not sure about now. The test cost $600 when I took it. I've learned plenty by T&E. I just always try and share what works for me with others, so they might avoid some of my mistakes.

Comment

I always remove my cell phone from my pocket when I'm going to weld, they seem to last longer without all the electrical magnetism running near them. At one time I was one of only two SPS05 certified welders here in Colorado, not sure about now. The test cost $600 when I took it. I've learned plenty by T&E. I just always try and share what works for me with others, so they might avoid some of my mistakes.
            are you MIG welding or TIG welding? I think a gap would be easier to bridge with a TIG from the little exp I have with one.

Comment

• I use a MIG for mild steel and a TIG for stainless and aluminum. I also have a spool gun with aluminum wire for use with my MIG.

Comment

I use a MIG for mild steel and a TIG for stainless and aluminum. I also have a spool gun with aluminum wire for use with my MIG.
                I'd like to get a TIG, but that's a ways down the road still...

Comment

• Depending on the volume you expect to TIG the plasma cutter I posted in your hands thread would probably be sufficient... I have found it to be quite capable in everything I've asked it to do, granted its nothing like using a nice Miller or Lincoln to do some awesome Aluminum welding, but it works fine for steel.

Got Lope?
                  3500 Build, Comp XFI Cam 218/230 .050 dur .570/.568 lift 113LSA
                  Fully Balanced, Ported, 3 Angle Valve Job, 65mm TCE TB, S&S Headers.
                  Stage-1 Raybestos/Alto 4t60e-HD, EP LSD, 3.69FDR
                  12.61@105 Epping NH Oct 2015 Nitrous 100shot (melted plugs) 13.58@98.8 N/A 3200LBS

Comment

• waiting on parts sucks... got my wastegate today, I'll try to get it fitted tomorrow or monday tuesday. machinist is getting the bottom end balanced, once I have my head and main studs he can knock out the block, then when I have my new valves and retainers, he can do the heads...

Comment

• In my experience when welding mig less gap is better... The quality of the weld reflects how clean it is and the setup of your machine. Consistency usually equals a constant feed speed. Smaller wire is probably best for thin material. If I could find .010" to weld thin wall tubing I'd use it. I also find argon or co2 give a nicer weld than flux core wire...

I much prefer TIG. You don't need a good TIG to make decent welds. Jut one with good voltage control and a steady hand.

Comment

• Originally posted by NateD4 View Post
                        In my experience when welding mig less gap is better... The quality of the weld reflects how clean it is and the setup of your machine. Consistency usually equals a constant feed speed. Smaller wire is probably best for thin material. If I could find .010" to weld thin wall tubing I'd use it. I also find argon or co2 give a nicer weld than flux core wire...

I much prefer TIG. You don't need a good TIG to make decent welds. Jut one with good voltage control and a steady hand.
                        my buddy has a TIG, and I wish I had taken my parts to his place to do the final welding, I laid some very nice beads with his equipment.

Comment

• If you use a Tig, get a splitter for the argon feed after the regulator (or get another regulator) and stick that into the pipe your about to weld.

Removing the oxygen behind the weld REALLY helps with welding exhaust pipe like this. After I tried it, I realized how much better my welds can be.

For a mig, not sure what gas to use behind the weld (should be the same Mig type gas used) but the concept should be the same. Remove the o2 on the backside of the weld.

There is no shame in grinding down the welds to make it look nicer, and get to inspect for leaks easier that way.
                          1996 Grand Prix | 3100v6 L82 | T04E-50 Turbo | Getrag 282 w/ EP LSD | SPEC-3 Clutch

Comment

• Originally posted by TGP37 View Post
                            If you use a Tig, get a splitter for the argon feed after the regulator (or get another regulator) and stick that into the pipe your about to weld.

Removing the oxygen behind the weld REALLY helps with welding exhaust pipe like this. After I tried it, I realized how much better my welds can be.

For a mig, not sure what gas to use behind the weld (should be the same Mig type gas used) but the concept should be the same. Remove the o2 on the backside of the weld.

There is no shame in grinding down the welds to make it look nicer, and get to inspect for leaks easier that way.
                            Not only is the weld "better" The overall penetration and performance of the weld is much higher. You will see this a lot with Stainless tubing. It will oxidize the worst if you don't back purge the weld. I did some mild steel tubing with my TIG and the inside weld looked just as good as the outside so its not AS critical on mild steel.

You can also split after the regulator and then cap one side of the pipe, put small holes in it, and cap the other side with the hose going in it and then just turn the gas on for a min or two to purge out the air. It's amazing what you can learn sitting at work watching stupid TIG welding videos... LOL

This is the video I saw. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=02U0H15_WEg
                            Last edited by 3400-95-Modified; 03-11-2013, 09:31 AM.

Got Lope?
                            3500 Build, Comp XFI Cam 218/230 .050 dur .570/.568 lift 113LSA
                            Fully Balanced, Ported, 3 Angle Valve Job, 65mm TCE TB, S&S Headers.
                            Stage-1 Raybestos/Alto 4t60e-HD, EP LSD, 3.69FDR
                            12.61@105 Epping NH Oct 2015 Nitrous 100shot (melted plugs) 13.58@98.8 N/A 3200LBS

Comment

• Originally posted by 3400-95-Modified View Post
                              Not only is the weld "better" The overall penetration and performance of the weld is much higher. You will see this a lot with Stainless tubing. It will oxidize the worst if you don't back purge the weld. I did some mild steel tubing with my TIG and the inside weld looked just as good as the outside so its not AS critical on mild steel.

You can also split after the regulator and then cap one side of the pipe, put small holes in it, and cap the other side with the hose going in it and then just turn the gas on for a min or two to purge out the air. It's amazing what you can learn sitting at work watching stupid TIG welding videos... LOL

This is the video I saw. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=02U0H15_WEg
                              Watching on you tube is a good place to learn.

Welding is definitely an art in it's own field.
                              1996 Grand Prix | 3100v6 L82 | T04E-50 Turbo | Getrag 282 w/ EP LSD | SPEC-3 Clutch

Comment

• the best learning to me, is with a torch in my hand. the youtube stuff helps, but it's nothing like holding the real deal and doing it.

Comment

Working...
                                X