No announcement yet.

262's 85 Fiero SE LX9 F23 swap thread lots of pics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I was just going to put a V band on the inlet and swap is out with a straight pipe when I need to go silly fast.

my car won't have a cat converter. I may still run the slashcuts, I don't know... I'm researching the crank evac pumps now to see what will work best.
    "I am not what you so glibly call to be a civilized man. I have broken with society for reasons which I alone am able to appreciate. I am therefore not subject to it's stupid laws, and I ask you to never allude to them in my presence again."

Comment

• Hmm is there a reason people don't just run a check valve to the intake? Lots of factory boosted cars seem to be setup that way.
      '89 Firebird, 3500 Turbo, T56, 9-bolt/4.11
      '86 Fiero, 3500, 4-speed

Comment

• Originally posted by caffeine View Post
        Hmm is there a reason people don't just run a check valve to the intake? Lots of factory boosted cars seem to be setup that way.
        I want to vent the crankcase, it helps with performance, and oil draining from the turbo.

found the wheels I want to go with...

Last edited by ericjon262; 04-19-2013, 11:43 AM.
        "I am not what you so glibly call to be a civilized man. I have broken with society for reasons which I alone am able to appreciate. I am therefore not subject to it's stupid laws, and I ask you to never allude to them in my presence again."

Comment

Hmm is there a reason people don't just run a check valve to the intake? Lots of factory boosted cars seem to be setup that way.
          I'm sure there is a way as you said. Though avoiding the complications, the black soot in the intake, lower octane from the oil/gas mixture, if the check valve fails then there is boost in the crank case.......

Eric,
          I went cat free and decided to get a high flow cat. I like the sound much better with the cat, not as raspy. Then I don't have to f#ck w/ emissions testing and the o2 codes.

Wasn't too bad though, you might like the cat free sound. I thought about putting an extra resonator in place of the cat, help with rasp.

I can tell you the pump will work better then the slash cuts, by a large margin. With the pump, there is soo much more benefit beyond crankcase ventilation. Like extra power, better turbo oil sealing (vac travels up oil drain line), better ring seal, less oil contamination, it goes on.
          Last edited by TGP37; 04-09-2013, 04:58 PM.
          1996 Grand Prix | 3100v6 L82 | T04E-50 Turbo | Getrag 282 w/ EP LSD | SPEC-3 Clutch

Comment

• Well lower octane would only happen under vacuum, not boost, and if you are using a breather to draw in the air then boosting the crankcase shouldn't be possible, at the expense of a boost leak if the check valve failed.

But like mentioned, there are bonuses to having vacuum in the crankcase under boost, so at the expense of simplicity there are more advantages to a vacuum pump or slashcut.
            '86 Fiero, 3500, 4-speed

Comment

• didn't get a whole lot done today, got the hood back on, and the oil lines/fittings for the turbo on order. I'm going to try to get the rear brakes rebuilt and cleaned up, along with the torn axle boot replaced.

Comment

Well lower octane would only happen under vacuum, not boost, and if you are using a breather to draw in the air then boosting the crankcase shouldn't be possible, at the expense of a boost leak if the check valve failed.

But like mentioned, there are bonuses to having vacuum in the crankcase under boost, so at the expense of simplicity there are more advantages to a vacuum pump or slashcut.
                We speak the same truth brother! Join our church and be saved!

But yeah, I like pulling the gases out while in boost. Unlike a check valve system that closes in boost. One of the reasons I didn't go that route.

Of course there is a possibility of a dual use system. Check valved system that recycles the gas at idle and low load. Then once boost kicks in have an electric pump kick on and vac the rest.
                1996 Grand Prix | 3100v6 L82 | T04E-50 Turbo | Getrag 282 w/ EP LSD | SPEC-3 Clutch

Comment

• Why use a vacuum pump?

On every turbo conversion I've done, I've had the crankcase connect to the inlet of the turbo, just like OEM turbo cars and never had an issue.

Comment

• there's not as strong of a vacuum signal at the inlet of the turbo, I may do that though, just weighing my options.

Comment

• Personally id rather find an effective simple solution rather than add complexity and weight to the engine bay with a vacuum pump.

I imagine you're already running low on room. Remember you probably want to be able to fix parts on the car without having to drop the cradle .
                      '86 Fiero, 3500, 4-speed

Comment

• I'll figure something out. in other news, I just finished re-doing the engine side of the wiring harness (again)... been working on it since 8...

Comment

• As I said I've never had an issue with the vacuum source at the turbo inlet.

I also do it in a way that promotes high vacuum.

Looking into my intake from the turbo inlet end.

Comment

• found some old timeslips from when the car was stock... all 1/8th mile, 100% stock, best time was a 10.71 out of 5 runs... wow that's slow... it was my first time out at the track though, and I got better with each run.

Comment

• found some old timeslips from when the car was stock... all 1/8th mile, 100% stock, best time was a 10.71 out of 5 runs... wow that's slow... it was my first time out at the track though, and I got better with each run.

Comment

• Copy and paste?
                                95 Beretta 3100 with 3400 intakes and TCE TB
                                High flow cat and a Magnaflow muffler
                                Grand Prix trans with 3.33FDR

Comment

Working...
                                X