No announcement yet.

262's 85 Fiero SE LX9 F23 swap thread lots of pics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• got my AN fittings in for the fuel rails, so tomorrow I'll try to get the fuel system finished up. I'm glad they aren't red like int he picture on Marc's website, they appear to be clear anodized.
    "I am not what you so glibly call to be a civilized man. I have broken with society for reasons which I alone am able to appreciate. I am therefore not subject to it's stupid laws, and I ask you to never allude to them in my presence again."

Comment

• Originally posted by ericjon262 View Post
      well, I'm gonna make a catch can, and run the slashcuts with the stock PCV and checkvalves.

here's a interesting read on PCV.

http://honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=1199935

That was a good read there.

I went with exhaust slash cuts to avoid sucking in vaporized oil fumes. The oil fumes will lower octane and encourage detonation. Normally not a problem but when pushing to the limits with boost avoiding detonation is important. More so for me since I use hypereutectic pistons and gaped the top ring ever so slightly to avoid ring butting under excessive heat. So my blow-by is slightly elevated out of boost. (for the particular minded, I gaped only the increased expansion from added heat expected....making the ring gap act like stock under boost)

This is why I like the dual type bernoulli system. The intake can handle lower octane at idle. But when in boost the check valve closes and the exhaust generates a stronger dominant vacuum. Pulling all that garbage out of the intake. Cause blow-by is not anything you want in your intake if you can avoid it. Nothing but octane reducing, hot, oxygen deprived air....yuck!

The dual system pulls the crap in at idle during emissions inspection as well.

Best of both worlds, imho.

Man, what are you gonna do when your drifting out at sea, proudly serving us all at home?
      1996 Grand Prix | 3100v6 L82 | T04E-50 Turbo | Getrag 282 w/ EP LSD | SPEC-3 Clutch

Comment

• good news, the fuel system is pretty much done!

Originally posted by TGP37 View Post

Man, what are you gonna do when your drifting out at sea, proudly serving us all at home?
        study coding, so I can hopefully start making our PCMs a little more useful...

"I am not what you so glibly call to be a civilized man. I have broken with society for reasons which I alone am able to appreciate. I am therefore not subject to it's stupid laws, and I ask you to never allude to them in my presence again."

Comment

• mostly complete catch can made almost entirely of scrap:

I also got the downpipe welded up, and the WG bump integrated. all that's left in the exhaust is the slashcut, Vband on the muffler, and the tailpipe. some of the welds look like crap, the fitup was less then ideal, but it's sealed, and strong, and won't be visable an

I also got the fuel system pretty much done, just needs to be tied back.

Last edited by ericjon262; 04-28-2013, 12:20 AM.

Comment

• The slashcuts work but just make sure they are after your o2 sensor and hope you aren't embarrassed by a little smoke at WOT... lol

I'll have to go back and see what the results were but last year i hooked a 2 bar MAP sensor up to the crank case to monitor the pressure, IIRC it drew a very slight vacuum at WOT.
            Past Builds;
            1991 Z24, 3500/5 Spd. 275WHP/259WTQ 13.07@108 MPH
            1989 Camaro RS, ITB-3500/700R4. 263WHP/263WTQ 13.52@99.2 MPH
            Current Project;
            1972 Nova 12.73@105.7 MPH

Comment

• Originally posted by Superdave View Post
              The slashcuts work but just make sure they are after your o2 sensor and hope you aren't embarrassed by a little smoke at WOT... lol

I'll have to go back and see what the results were but last year i hooked a 2 bar MAP sensor up to the crank case to monitor the pressure, IIRC it drew a very slight vacuum at WOT.
              I'm hoping the catch can solves the smoke issue. I have two, and I'm trying to decide whether to use one or both.

Comment

• Some types of dirt/air separators spin up the air and dumps the heavy material out while ejecting clean air, no moving parts and really simple design. I am building one myself. Might do well to seperate the crap out of the gases.

image1.png
                A: Blow-by IN
                B: Oil to catch can OUT
                De: Clean air OUT

Smoking exhaust could also be from the lack of crankcase ventilation. My 3100 idles a little smokey if I pull the crank ventilation. Clears it right up once I plug it back in. Something to do with the oil coating the cylinder walls.

I say use both catch cans and then inspect the amount of oil in both. You'll get a good idea how well the first one works. Then can decide if it is needed or not (the second one).
                Last edited by TGP37; 04-28-2013, 10:28 AM.
                1996 Grand Prix | 3100v6 L82 | T04E-50 Turbo | Getrag 282 w/ EP LSD | SPEC-3 Clutch

Comment

• I only have one catch can, I was referring to having two slashcuts.

Comment

• I just finished some exhaust work on my car, my slash cuts are in the X pipe and i had the system open right after it. There was oil in the pipes for sure, and in the mufflers. lol
                    Past Builds;
                    1991 Z24, 3500/5 Spd. 275WHP/259WTQ 13.07@108 MPH
                    1989 Camaro RS, ITB-3500/700R4. 263WHP/263WTQ 13.52@99.2 MPH
                    Current Project;
                    1972 Nova 12.73@105.7 MPH

Comment

• well, today wasn't all that productive... my intercooler bracket I had made was in the way of everything, so I cut it in half, and and re-did it, now it's holding on by the A/c compressor bolts, but I need to find longer bolts to hold it. I also put the interior halfway back together again. I'm hoping tomorrow is more productive then today was.

Comment

• re-worked intercooler mount.

hopefully for the last time.

Comment

• "hopefully for the last time" .....lol

Comment

• Originally posted by TGP37 View Post
                            What prevents you using the exhaust? I have mine 1 foot ahead of the catalytic converter and it draws a nice vacuum in the upper RPM.

(I ask under the guise it may help out Eric's build, being this is his thread)
                            I just didn't leave myself enough room. I have a cut-out right after the downpipe and space before the cut-out is limited.
                            sigpic
                            ----------
                            BUILT Turbo 3400/4t65e-HD powered Grand AM in the making.

Comment

• Originally posted by TGP37 View Post
                              "hopefully for the last time" .....lol
                              you have no idea... everything on the car has been done at least twice... some things, like the wiring harness, have been done 3 or 4 times...

it got to the point today, where I almost said screw it(and many other words...) and made a dual exhaust and got rid of the turbo. this thing has been the biggest packaging nightmare on the planet...

I need to go and refill the gas in the welder, hopefully tomorrow, the exhaust will be 100% done and I can move on to some of the other parts of the build.

when I get a chance, I plan to pick up a beater Fiero and redo the whole kit. (then swap a N* into the beater...shhhh don't tell anyone....)

Comment

• twin turbo northstar fiero as a beater?
                                1995 Monte Carlo LS 3100, 4T60E...for now, future plans include driving it until the wheels fall off!
                                Latest nAst1 files here!
                                Need a wiring diagram for any GM car or truck from 82-06(and 07-08 cars)? PM me!

Comment

Working...
                                X