No announcement yet.

262's 85 Fiero SE LX9 F23 swap thread lots of pics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• got the car up the charleston, next day I'm told to go to Kings Bay Ga... which was on my way to charleston... lol. so now, me and the car are in Kings Bay, and the clutch is about to go on order sometime tonight.
    "I am not what you so glibly call to be a civilized man. I have broken with society for reasons which I alone am able to appreciate. I am therefore not subject to it's stupid laws, and I ask you to never allude to them in my presence again."

Comment

• Kings Bay means you are going on a boomer... You aren't done with Prototype already, are you?

Brad
      via Moto X
      -Brad-
      89 Mustang : Future 60V6 Power
      sigpic
      Follow the build -> http://www.3x00swap.com/index.php?page=mustang-blog

Comment

• Originally posted by bszopi View Post
        Kings Bay means you are going on a boomer... You aren't done with Prototype already, are you?

Brad
        via Moto X
        not yet, I'm on hold, both prototypes are backed up, so they sent me here... not a complaint by any means, goose, err well... shit creek sucks, Kings Bay is badass so far!
        "I am not what you so glibly call to be a civilized man. I have broken with society for reasons which I alone am able to appreciate. I am therefore not subject to it's stupid laws, and I ask you to never allude to them in my presence again."

Comment

• Originally posted by ericjon262 View Post
          not yet, I'm on hold, both prototypes are backed up, so they sent me here... not a complaint by any means, goose, err well... shit creek sucks, Kings Bay is badass so far!
          I wish I chould get this forum to send me topic reply notifications.
          Current:
          \'87 Fiero GT: 12.86@106 - too dam many valves; ran 12.94 @ 112 on new engine, then broke a CV joint
          \'88 Fiero Formula: slow and attention getting; LZ8 followed by LLT power forthcoming
          \'88 BMW 325iX: The penultimate driving machine awaiting a heart transplant

Gone, mostly forgotten:
          \'90 Pontiac 6000 SE AWD: slow but invisible

Comment

• Originally posted by Will'sFiero View Post
            I wish I chould get this forum to send me topic reply notifications.
            I used to get them all the time in my email, but then I stopped checking my email regularly and got tired of deleting tons of emails when I would.

Go into your control panel, I'm sure the option is still there to get them by email.

If you have a smartphone download Tapatalk. I get notifications at the top of my screen to topics I've subscribed/posted in.
            -60v6's 2nd Jon M.
            91 Black Lumina Z34-5 speed
            92 Black Lumina Z34 5 speed (getting there, slowly... follow the progress here)
            94 Red Ford Ranger 2WD-5 speed
            Originally posted by Jay Leno
            Tires are cheap clutches...

Comment

• Originally posted by pocket-rocket View Post
              I used to get them all the time in my email, but then I stopped checking my email regularly and got tired of deleting tons of emails when I would.

Go into your control panel, I'm sure the option is still there to get them by email.

If you have a smartphone download Tapatalk. I get notifications at the top of my screen to topics I've subscribed/posted in.
              I sent him a PM with instructions too.

Comment

• well, I placed the order(acknowledged by a Spec employee via email) for my clutch 4 days ago, thinking that by now it would have left Spec and be on it's way to me,

this was 3 days ago...

They ship in 24-48 hrs..this is a busy week given we are closed all next week. If not today, probably leaves tomorrow…
                seeing as I hadn't heard anything from Spec, I called them up, and they don't have anything in their system on my order at all... now how is a order supposed to ship if it doesn't exist??? Guess who just lost a $600 sale.

so now, instead of a Spec, I'll be going with a Bully stage 4 Clutch. hopefully this order works out better...

Comment

• ended up with the bully stage 4

Spent this weekend working on the car, got a little more work until I can drag it out of the hobby shop.

The main reason for all this delay...

the little fuck popped while bleeding is. doesn't appear to have hyperextended though.

A few comparison pictures of the two clutches:

The other reason for the delay:

if you look at the top sprockets, you'll notice grooves cut into one and not the other the grooves are there to sling oil onto the chain, without them, the chain gets hot, stretches, and fails.

And then the engine found it's way home!

Still a ton of work to do, but it's progress nonetheless.

and here's another reason to laugh at people who join the air farce...

put his land rover on the lift, opened up the back door, and learned very quickly why you walk around your vehicle before lifting it....

Comment

• Space your master cylinder away from the firewall. Takes 5 minutes and will probably save another bearing. Mine popped too during bleeding and when I looked it up online I realized the Fiero master cylinder has a larger bore than the J-body one.
                    Unfortunately the mismatch also makes it harder to engage the clutch smoothly since it doesn't take much travel to fully engage.
                    '89 Firebird, 3500 Turbo, T56, 9-bolt/4.11
                    '86 Fiero, 3500, 4-speed

Comment

• Originally posted by caffeine View Post
                      Space your master cylinder away from the firewall. Takes 5 minutes and will probably save another bearing. Mine popped too during bleeding and when I looked it up online I realized the Fiero master cylinder has a larger bore than the J-body one.
                      Unfortunately the mismatch also makes it harder to engage the clutch smoothly since it doesn't take much travel to fully engage.
                      do you remember the size of the J body master? I also installed a spacer on the slave (0.125") after measuring the clutch and HTOB. this should put my HTOB at approx 2/3-3/4 compressed.

Comment

• 262's 85 Fiero SE LX9 F23 swap thread lots of pics

J-body master is 5/8, Fiero is 11/16. Small difference but you can feel it nonetheless. I've driven a J-body with the F23 (actually the same car my trans came from) and the pedal feel is very different compared to in a Fiero with the stock MC.

Keep in mind that the 2.2L uses the SAME flywheel and the clutch/pressure plate measure the same distance from the flywheel as a 60*V6 setup. A HTOB spacer should not be necessary really but my theory is that it cannot handle the Fiero MC bore size/stroke so using the spacer means it can travel a bit further before overextending.

IMHO spacing the MC from the firewall makes more sense because a) it's free and b) it's basically achieving the same result. Spaced away from the firewall it still has tons of room from disengagement until the pedal hits the floor. Way more than a stock J-body system.
                        Last edited by caffeine; 09-28-2014, 11:35 PM.
                        '89 Firebird, 3500 Turbo, T56, 9-bolt/4.11
                        '86 Fiero, 3500, 4-speed

Comment

• Originally posted by ericjon262 View Post
                          The other reason for the delay:

if you look at the top sprockets, you'll notice grooves cut into one and not the other the grooves are there to sling oil onto the chain, without them, the chain gets hot, stretches, and fails.
                          oie... Don't remind me...

I'll be curious to see how the new set goes... Mine are still sitting in a box because I'm afraid to use it again.

Got Lope?
                          3500 Build, Comp XFI Cam 218/230 .050 dur .570/.568 lift 113LSA
                          Fully Balanced, Ported, 3 Angle Valve Job, 65mm TCE TB, S&S Headers.
                          Stage-1 Raybestos/Alto 4t60e-HD, EP LSD, 3.69FDR
                          12.61@105 Epping NH Oct 2015 Nitrous 100shot (melted plugs) 13.58@98.8 N/A 3200LBS

Comment

• made a little more progress today and yesterday.

Here's how I left it yesterday:

I don't have a picture from today, but it's not much different, now it has some vaccuum/boost lines hooked up, along with the coldside piping installed. unfortunately, I need to re-work my intercooler setup again, it's just not fitting right...

Comment

• Here's a picture from today, not much new, but it's something. most of the vacuum lines are done, heater core lines are done, there's really not much left to do. I need to fix a broken wire I found, and redo some of the intercooler piping.

Comment

• Originally posted by caffeine View Post
                                J-body master is 5/8, Fiero is 11/16. Small difference but you can feel it nonetheless. I've driven a J-body with the F23 (actually the same car my trans came from) and the pedal feel is very different compared to in a Fiero with the stock MC.
                                Just wanted to add to this, the difference could also be the distance from the pivot to the master cylinder attachment point on the clutch pedal. if the cavalier setup is closer to the pivot point, the pedal will have more leverage on the cylinder, therefore less pedal effort.

in other news

I was planning on running A/C on the car, so when I put the engine in, I left the compressor installed, seeing as I don't have lines for the new compressor, I've decided to ditch it for the time being. I'm considering installing an all electric A/C in it's place in the front as a stand alone system. unfortunately for me, this requires me to re configure my belt routing. and install a new idler pulley. should be done tomorrow.

also worked on the intercooler water system a bit, need a bit more hose, and a couple of hose clamps, but it's coming along nicely. once it's done I'm going to install a heat shield around the tank and the pump, maybe even add a bit of insulation to the tank as well.

Comment

Working...
                                X