262's 85 Fiero SE LX9 F23 swap thread lots of pics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• the idea, is probably a stillborn for a couple of reasons,

1. the lifter and pushrod do not travel in the same plane, therefore, the use of a guideplate will cause the tip of the rocker to experience thrust loading as the valve cycles.
    2. the simple flat design shown here, would require the LIM gaskets at a minimum to be modified, if not the LIM as well.

with something like this, number 2 is solved, and number 1 is minimized. but then the fundamental engineering problem, will it fit?

got the rest of the valvetrain back in and torqued down. re-installed the bits of cooling system that had to be removed to pull the rockers, and re-pressurized the cooling system. this time it performed much better. still not as good as I would prefer though. over the coarse of about 30 minutes, I lost about .75 psi, compared to the 1 psi per minute I was experiencing earlier at the same pressures before all this work. some of the pressure loss could be the compressed air cooling as well, so tomorrow, I'm going to fill the system and pressure test again.

I also finalized the alternator mount. I still need to extend/re-route the wiring to the alternator, and get a slightly shorter belt, hopefully I can find one 1/2" or so shorter, that will probably be perfect. I'm not as worried about belt slippage as I was before, I did some quick math using very conservative numbers, and determined that the crank has more than double the belt contact area as the alternator, which would be the major load on the belt. the only other load is the water pump, is has about the same belt contact as stock, but on the smooth side, so way less contact area than the alternator and crank. it should be fine. in doing the low mount alternator, I also now need to remount the coils, as they won't fit with the front valve cover on the back, so tomorrow, I'm going to mount them to the firewall of the trunk.
    "I am not what you so glibly call to be a civilized man. I have broken with society for reasons which I alone am able to appreciate. I am therefore not subject to it's stupid laws, and I ask you to never allude to them in my presence again."

Comment

• good news, alternator bracket works, no odd noises or anything, belt wasn't destroyed in seconds, nothing exciting happened, it just worked! the car didn't overheat for the short time I ran it in the driveway, which is another plus!
      "I am not what you so glibly call to be a civilized man. I have broken with society for reasons which I alone am able to appreciate. I am therefore not subject to it's stupid laws, and I ask you to never allude to them in my presence again."

Comment

• a short video for the haters and non-believers. beware, it's real low quality...

Comment

• Damn that sounds nasty!
          '86 Grand National

Comment

• thanks, it feels pretty intense. I can't wait to get it tuned up right.

Comment

• bad news... oil feed to the turbo blew, low oil flow to the turbo, it's trashed. I'm hoping the bottom end is still good, but it's tough to say ATM...

Comment

• Weak connector?
                95 Beretta 3100 with 3400 intakes and TCE TB
                High flow cat and a Magnaflow muffler
                Grand Prix trans with 3.33FDR

Comment

• at this point, I can't tell if it failed due to poor assembly, or if the hose end just didn't grip the hose. either way, the turbo is toast. I'm going to order another cheap ebay POS for now, and when I redo my hotside, I'll swap to something more fun.

Comment

• Guess a metal line is out of the question. Sure seems like there has been a rash of turbos blowing lines in the last year or so on a few sites. Oh well, guess you have cheap POS to cover it.

Comment

• post pic of line and fitting.

Comment

• Originally posted by Purple pit View Post
                        Guess a metal line is out of the question. Sure seems like there has been a rash of turbos blowing lines in the last year or so on a few sites. Oh well, guess you have cheap POS to cover it.
                        for now, yes, but eventually, it will be stainless steel lines with swagelok fittings custom bent to what I need. it's not too hard to do, just takes time and cash. for now, I went to my local rubber and gasket supplier and picked up some aeroquip hose/hose ends to replace the line.

this is the second line failure I've had using silicone intakes hoses. I used this hose:

I don't remember reading on their site that you had to use their fittings with their lines when I made the original line, but the fitting I used on that line appears to be a standard hose end, so this failure may have been my fault. the line was in pretty rough shape when removed though, there was a black coating over the stainless braid, that when the lines were new, was very tough and durable, now, after only a handful of heat cycles, can be flaked off easily without even a fingernail... I wouldn't recommend the product at all compared to regular braided SS. it didn't hold up at all like I would have liked, failure or not. the other line I had fail was a fuel line, from the center of the line, no evidence of crush damage or abrasion, it just blew.

I'm working on designing a better hotside for the car, mainly for packaging reasons, but if I can improve it while I'm in there, I intend to.

some pics of the new design so far...

Version 1.0, ruined by bad measurements...

Version 2.0, close to equal length.

Originally posted by bigcheese View Post
                        post pic of line and fitting.
                        when I get around to it I will, it's not very high on the priority list.
                        Last edited by ericjon262; 08-09-2016, 11:21 PM.

Comment

• Version 3.0...

not really all that close to equal length, but as the gas velocity goes up, the distance becomes a smaller and smaller part of the big picture. as an added benefit, this design would cost quite a bit less than most of the others previously shown. I can potentially get them closer to equal length by adding spacers in the 180* bend in the #6 primary.it would be super awesome to have a rendering of a 3500 F23 setup right now to do a digital test fit... oh well, just have to take lots of measurements on the one in the garage and verify fitment that way...

Comment

• Sounds like a better temp set up on the oil line. Time to do the hard line? Didn't think you had much of that kind of thing.

Comment

• I can make a hard line happen, but won't until the new hotside and turbo go in.

Comment

• Here's version 3.1, my biggest concern is spark plug access. with this design the number 6 primary might be in the way of access to the number 6 spark plug. the longest length is just under 10", the shortest is just over 8"

Comment

Working...
                                X