No announcement yet.

262's 85 Fiero SE LX9 F23 swap thread lots of pics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If you think that the primary will get in the way of accessing the plug(s), which it doesn't look like to me, bring it out on more of an angle and wrap it around the other primaries.

This is how I did mine and have no issues with spark plug access (also a huge concern of mine along with bolt/stud access for actual install and removal of the headers).

FirstMating.jpg

Headers08.jpg

Here is a front header I built for a turbo Cavalier, where I mounted the turbo above the rear head/rocker cover. Doesn't exit the same place as yours but could be shortened up to do so. I LOVE the look of this header and without even trying all the primaries were within 1/2" of each other's length.
    headers001.jpg

Comment

• did a little exhaust work after replacing the turbo. I think it sounds better. hopefully I'll be driving this thing more soon.

"I am not what you so glibly call to be a civilized man. I have broken with society for reasons which I alone am able to appreciate. I am therefore not subject to it's stupid laws, and I ask you to never allude to them in my presence again."

Comment

• well, this is odd...started the car up the other day, drove about 20 miles, and it just stopped. as if I turned the key off. luckily i was in the driveway when it stopped though. I hooked my scan tool up, and it's not throwing any codes, but I'm also not getting an IPW while cranking. is that normal?
        "I am not what you so glibly call to be a civilized man. I have broken with society for reasons which I alone am able to appreciate. I am therefore not subject to it's stupid laws, and I ask you to never allude to them in my presence again."

Comment

• Doesn't the CCP sensor need to signal for IPW? Maybe check that its connected and good.

Comment

• I replaced the 7x sensor, and tested the ignition module already(it's good) the cam sensor is fairly new, I see no reason for it to have just randomly failed... the scan tool is getting an RPM signal, and no codes are being thrown.

Comment

• Are you running a 24x sensor?
              Kaiser George IX: 1996 Buick Century Special wagon. 213-SFI. 250k miles. Never gonna give you up, never gonna let you down. First documented LX9 swap in an A-body! Click here to read my build thread!

Comment

• sure am, if there was a problem with it though, I would assume I would get a code. and, that one is a bitch to replace..

Comment

• I made a snap decision and sprung for a MS3x.

here's where I am right now:

this whole assembly will be mounted behind the passenger seat using the rubber MSD mounts. At this point it is set up like a retrofit install into a carbed car, pretty much add 12 volts to this board, plug stuff in, and you have EFI. it will be full SFI, flexfuel, and I'm currently waiting on connectors and terminals for the ignition coils and injectors.

I'm hoping this gets me back on the road, soon. we'll see.
                  Last edited by ericjon262; 02-19-2017, 02:04 PM.

Comment

• Nice! I'll definitely be watching. Still have an LZ4 on a stand that'll need an MS3 but I've been focused on finding a new work space. It's way past time. Hope to see it running soon!

Comment

• thanks, I know the feeling of needing more or new workspace. I'm working in a 2 car garage that has 4 cars worth of stuff crammed into it...

had to cut the fuse/relay center off, with it in place, the passenger seat was noticeably far forward, without, it's almost all the way back. I'm evaluating two different install layouts, one with the wires exiting the side of the car through a previously drilled hole, or following something more akin to the stock routing, but going through the middle of the firewall.

side:

stockish:

I'll probably go through the side, as it will be more concealed, and offer a cleaner install. the only major downfall, is that it becomes almost impossible to remove the harness from the car once installed, but hopefully it won't ever need to be removed, and if it does, it won't be my car anymore...

Comment

• Use the stock routing, but just poke a hole in the carpet and run the trunk under the carpet and behind the center console to keep it completely out of sight
                        Current:
                        \'87 Fiero GT: 12.86@106 - too dam many valves; ran 12.94 @ 112 on new engine, then broke a CV joint
                        \'88 Fiero Formula: slow and attention getting; LZ8 followed by LLT power forthcoming
                        \'88 BMW 325iX: The penultimate driving machine awaiting a heart transplant

Gone, mostly forgotten:
                        \'90 Pontiac 6000 SE AWD: slow but invisible

Comment

• Originally posted by Will'sFiero View Post
                          Use the stock routing, but just poke a hole in the carpet and run the trunk under the carpet and behind the center console to keep it completely out of sight
                          that's pretty much the plan, I was just gonna poke a hole in the console though. I decided shortly after posting this, that this install would be very function over form.

the progress:

LS2 coil mounts, the long term plan is to mount them to the valve cover like that would be stock on an LS2

more progress on the wiring, it's shaping up nicely so far, just slow going as expected...

like I said, function over form. that being said, it also won't just be a massive ball of wire either..most of the mess you see here has already been cleaned up, but it doesn't really show in the pictures like it should.

Comment

• Originally posted by ericjon262 View Post

that's pretty much the plan, I was just gonna poke a hole in the console though. I decided shortly after posting this, that this install would be very function over form.
                            Then just tuck the trunk under the corner of the console... don't even need to poke a hole in anything if you're not concerned about some of the harness being exposed.
                            Current:
                            \'87 Fiero GT: 12.86@106 - too dam many valves; ran 12.94 @ 112 on new engine, then broke a CV joint
                            \'88 Fiero Formula: slow and attention getting; LZ8 followed by LLT power forthcoming
                            \'88 BMW 325iX: The penultimate driving machine awaiting a heart transplant

Gone, mostly forgotten:
                            \'90 Pontiac 6000 SE AWD: slow but invisible

Comment

• Originally posted by Will'sFiero View Post

Then just tuck the trunk under the corner of the console... don't even need to poke a hole in anything if you're not concerned about some of the harness being exposed.
                              poke wasn't really a good word, really meant notch.

Comment

• coil mount version 2.0

ugly, but worked...

then came version 3.0, which I forgot to take a picture of...

then version 3.1. which was just a shortened version of 3.0

but, 3.1 wouldn't work on the front and back, just the back, so, version 3.0 was used in the front, 3.1 in the back, forming version 3.1.1

much cleaner., very functional, and should be able to use off the shelf LS2 plug wires.

at this point, I'm probably about 50% done with the wiring, which I have also made much cleaner looking.(the mess int he pictures is just part of the process) I've also finalized the location of the flexfuel sensor.

I also picked up another F23 and began working on a scattershield for the bellhousing, nothing fun yet, just a bell with some heavy sleeves around the bolts.

hopefully tomorrow will be as productive as today was.

Comment

Working...
                                X