X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ericjon262
    replied
    Originally posted by NateD4 View Post
    In my experience when welding mig less gap is better... The quality of the weld reflects how clean it is and the setup of your machine. Consistency usually equals a constant feed speed. Smaller wire is probably best for thin material. If I could find .010" to weld thin wall tubing I'd use it. I also find argon or co2 give a nicer weld than flux core wire...

I much prefer TIG. You don't need a good TIG to make decent welds. Jut one with good voltage control and a steady hand.
    my buddy has a TIG, and I wish I had taken my parts to his place to do the final welding, I laid some very nice beads with his equipment.

Leave a comment:

• NateD4
    replied
    In my experience when welding mig less gap is better... The quality of the weld reflects how clean it is and the setup of your machine. Consistency usually equals a constant feed speed. Smaller wire is probably best for thin material. If I could find .010" to weld thin wall tubing I'd use it. I also find argon or co2 give a nicer weld than flux core wire...

I much prefer TIG. You don't need a good TIG to make decent welds. Jut one with good voltage control and a steady hand.

Leave a comment:

• ericjon262
    replied
    waiting on parts sucks... got my wastegate today, I'll try to get it fitted tomorrow or monday tuesday. machinist is getting the bottom end balanced, once I have my head and main studs he can knock out the block, then when I have my new valves and retainers, he can do the heads...

Leave a comment:

• 3400-95-Modified
    replied
    Depending on the volume you expect to TIG the plasma cutter I posted in your hands thread would probably be sufficient... I have found it to be quite capable in everything I've asked it to do, granted its nothing like using a nice Miller or Lincoln to do some awesome Aluminum welding, but it works fine for steel.

Leave a comment:

• ericjon262
    replied
    Originally posted by 23TrackroadsterV6 View Post
    I use a MIG for mild steel and a TIG for stainless and aluminum. I also have a spool gun with aluminum wire for use with my MIG.
    I'd like to get a TIG, but that's a ways down the road still...

Leave a comment:

Working...
X